• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Indian flintlocks are made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking on the various Indian gun importer sites, I’m seeing about an 80-90% “out of stock” rate.

Wouldn’t mind trying one of their blunderbusses or trade pistols but they’re nowhere to be had.
Veteran Arms got in stock alert and he stands behind his products
Talking about Blunderbusses there's virtually no substitute, Pedersoli/Armi Sport doesn't make them so if you want one it's ether Indian or build from the kit ... also Traditions sells gun they call blunderbuss that looks like some sort of musical instrument

Last edited:
The military style 1801 French flintlock pistol I posted for sale recently on the forum came from a box disassembled components I acquired a few years ago.
I love & used to collect & shoot early original French firearms because of their nice lines & rugged construction.
The components for this pistol showed promise so decided to put it together like any other kit build &turned out well in my humble opinion & tuned the lock to have about a 3lb trigger pull & is very sparkey.

At 82 I've not checked kit availability in several years but when I was active there was no access to French style kit component unless you purchased rough castings from The Rifle Shop requiring higher skill levels.
Be nice if Pedersoli made some affordable offerings available as prices of originals have soared.

Just my two-bits but if I bought a new India built firearm I would just consider it as a kit project at a good price.

As others have stated these hardworking gentlemen in India are building firearms under similar conditions to our
colonial era backwoods gunsmiths days & are doing a great job for what they sell for..

Were fortunate that our forum has numerous senior members with varied backgrounds in collecting, building & shooting who openly help those newer to our history rich sport.
My experience based personal opinions & choices may draw some kickback but there is no benefit for me to mislead anyone.
During the past 60 years I've operated muzzleloading businesses were I repaired customers guns, custom built, collected, restored & shot & competed with mostly original European built firearms as I personally preferred their generally larger bores & style of rifling.

After working on hundreds of replicas & originals the quality & workmanship varied greatly by when & where they were built.
Naturally early firearms built in England & Europe generally exhibit much higher quality metallurgy, workmanship locks & barrels than those built much later by blacksmiths in our much newer American colonies. Cannot expect frontier blacksmiths/gun builders to equal England & Europe's master gunsmiths & metallurgy skills.

As skilled English & European gunmakers settled in our Colonies they started building some very fine firearms & spread their gun building knowledge & we acquired some noted & artistic firearm builders.

Overall it's been my experience that the barrels on the India mfg firearms are much safer than many of our early colonial era forged barrels where I've often found small forging voids in the bores.
With some colonial era American firearms that I intended to shoot extensively in competition I had the barrels relined.
Forged barrels that have been relined tend to produce tighter groups as they generally don't drift due to heat through continued shots.
Locks built in India remind me of some early American colonial era locks. They are somewhat functional but require considerable reworking of internal parts geometry & springs to make them functional unless your happy with a 20 Lb. trigger pull.

Bottom line, it's great that in most parts of America we still have firearm choices & opportunities to purchase what we want & can afford !
Enjoyed reading! Thanks! When one sees the very primitive work done on the old guns down in Appalachia, the Indian items seem darn A-OK! Really appreciated your learned comments.

Wouldn’t mind trying one of their blunderbusses or trade pistols but they’re nowhere to be hahad.
The common response from those disliking india guns is "buy a kibler"

Is there a thread detailing how to tune one of these Indian locks?

that's a good idea, we need one.
I ran a thread a while ago about going over an india lock, results before and after along with a comparison with a new L&R lock. The results were bashing india guns and I believe it got locked.

The common response from those disliking india guns is "buy a kibler"

I ran a thread a while ago about going over an india lock, results before and after along with a comparison with a new L&R lock. The results were bashing india guns and I believe it got locked.
I can understand people liking Kibler rifles. I have one they are nice. But the gun snobbery here is sometimes irritating. I wonder how many Indian Muskets the bashers have actually bought and fired. Seems the people that actually own them and shoot them like them. SMH It reminds me of the Hi Point / Taurus gun bashers in the unmentionable forums. It was so bad for a few years there I went and bought one of each to see how bad they were. Long story short, people are mistaken. Anyway, I plan to buy an Indian Arquebus and Charleville in the future.

I can understand people liking Kibler rifles. I have one they are nice. But the gun snobbery here is sometimes irritating. I wonder how many Indian Muskets the bashers have actually bought and fired. Seems the people that actually own them and shoot them like them. SMH It reminds me of the Hi Point / Taurus gun bashers in the unmentionable forums. It was so bad for a few years there I went and bought one of each to see how bad they were. Long story short, people are mistaken. Anyway, I plan to buy an Indian Arquebus and Charleville in the future.
Well said Frontstuffer plus not everyone starting out can afford a Kibler or top dollar guns.

last time I checked with Loyalist Arms they were at least 6 month behind on everything.
Yes, I ordered a Sea Service pistol in March that has yet to be delivered. As of about four weeks ago I was #11 in the production queue. Linda responded promptly to my email query about my production status, so I have no fears my order will be eventually fulfilled. Have patience.

Yes, I ordered a Sea Service pistol in March that has yet to be delivered. As of about four weeks ago I was #11 in the production queue. Linda responded promptly to my email query about my production status, so I have no fears my order will be eventually fulfilled. Have patience.
Loyalist Arms got few rather unique items something that Access Heritage or Veteran Arms don't have. I wanted to order this miquelet pistol or musket before learning about 6 month wait period and it's not waiting part that sort of turned me away but the need to pay in advance for the item.

328960-91369739-2963443773690849-5426952329687465984-n.jpg
328961-1957823-600027340097604-4593591576062625743-o-1-.jpg
1960932_600027273430944_1811047916919386366_o.jpg

Back