• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many loads do you take into the woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I take more than 2-3 loads is simply because I want to...:)

Several times a year I take my "deer" rifle squirrel hunting...Sometimes I just ramble through the woods and take shots at random targets that I've prepared...I've always enjoyed shooting under field conditions vs going to the range...I know the gun is sighted in it just helps keep me sharp loading from the pouch and shooting under field conditions vs bench shooting...

I also give several talks a year to schools and Scout troops, part of this talk is showing what I carry in my shooting pouch...

Well thats to bad, you guys only get one tag?

I can be carrying one for deer and one for elk on any given hunt. So, I guess if I were Snow on the roof i'd need two shots. :)

OTOH, couple years ago I went off to hunt deer only with only five shots. Three grouse and a coyote later had only one left for a deer. :shocked2:

When hunting with my flintlock rifle I'll have about 6 loads, just because that's what I have in the bag. When hunting with my percussion rifle I'll have 2 or 3 speed loads. I only take one deer a year and have hunted the last 4 with muzzleloaders. That was 4 shots in the field for 4 deer. They all dropped in their tracks except for one that went 20 yards. But I haven't got that big buck yet, just hoping my luck doesn't run out.

I started this poll to see what was the norm and the reasoning everyone had behind it.Lots of great feedback,I'm brand new at this and runnin around in here gathering intell.And there's alot of it in here,it's like having a couple dozen brothers,fathers,and sisters to give you sage advise.I personally was thinking five loads,that's because that's how many arrows I take with me and it seems like a good starting point.I appreciate all of the experience being handed out here. :bow: I thank you all...Oh yea,keep um comming!

I have a small bag that holds 10 to 15 490's and a horn that holds half a pound. As noted above I don't carry more than needed but why cut yourself down to nothing if you don't have to. Never had to take more than 2 shots at a deer, so what happens if Mr Pig shows his head after you get the deer?? :idunno: To me the extra few shots don't weigh much :)

Now when I get my .62 Hawken built... that may alter the kit but I doubt it...

Usually load one and carry 3 extra. Like most members here I don't think that I have ever left the woods without having at least 1 ball remaining.

Back