• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas on how to keep a musket cap on?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeet

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I enjoy using my 1858 Enfield for deer hunting. I only have one problem. My percussion caps fall off all the time. Is there a easy way to keep them on? I've tried pinching them, that doesn't work. I remember reading a similar post years ago and they used candle wax, but that would be hard to do out in the field.
Thanks for any ideas.

Have you tried a different brand nipple or different brand cap? Might be you have one or the other that's a little off size.

HD

Hunting dawg is right. I found some variation in nipple sizes for musket nipples. Seeing I can I only find CCI or RWS caps it was easier to change nipples to get them to stay on. Those red colored HOt Shot nipples seem a little undersized to me and I have troulble getting a musket cap to stay put. Almost any other brand Ive use fits tighter

A buddy had the same problem with a gun using musket caps, but I don't remember which one. He never found just the right nipple, and wasn't happy with result pinching them either. Solved the problem with a tiny dab of bore butter under a couple of the ears on the cap. Worked like glue, but had to be replaced any time he changed caps.

He tried lots of ways, but just dipping a couple of the ears into the mouth of the wonder lube tube before mounting the cap worked easiest and best.

You know, nipples come with that handy hole predrilled in them. Just right for a thumbtack to hold the musket cap on - just drive it in lightly with a tack hammer. Is that why the rifle is called a tack driver? :blah: :rotf:

:v Loose caps may be easily corrected by simply filing the nipple to make it shorter. As the nipples are tapered shortening them increases the interferance between the inside diameter of the cap and the outside diameter of the nipple. Don't take off too much as the cap may not fully seat on the nipple and you'll have misfires. Just stroke the top of the nipple with the file and check the fit of the cap. When they are properly fitted they will not fall off and seal against water. :v Happy Thanksgiving :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info.
I am currently using the caps doulos described. I dug in my muzzleloading storage box and found another type that has the us flag and reb flag on the cover (sorry can't remember the company)and will try them. If that doesn't work, I will get out the file and bring it down to size.

Just dont clean the nipple for some time, when it starts to build up crud the caps get really sticky. :grin:
Sounds funny, but it really works.

Be aware that changing brands of caps can affect accuracy. Different brands - even different lots within brands - can change point of impact. So if you find some that stick and they're not what you regularly shoot, be sure to put a couple downrange to see if they've changed anything.

No, It's a musket nipple for a 1858 Enfield. I had to get a new one (from Lodgewood) and it doesn't seem to be as big as the original I had. But, even with the original one, they would fall off.
With my 1842 Springield, the caps fit very tight.

Latest posts

Back