• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i'm fit to be tied grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
in a different post i talked about a CVA plainsman 50 cal rifle. well i did not get that . what i did buy used was a CVA sharpshooter 50 cal uses # caps. when i got it home i started to clean it up good. thats when all heck broke loose. the bore was rusted up some so i kept spraying PB blaster in it then used a bore brush like mad. sprayed some patches with the pb.till it came out cleaner then more pb with the brush more soaked pb blaster patches kept doing this about 10 times. so far so good then i had some of T/C # 13 bore cleaner thats where i almost lost it. soaked a patch in the #13 bushed it down son of a gun stuck all the way down. ok got a coat hanger to try to fish the patch out. needless to say that did not work. so off to the gun shop got a parch puller and a bullet puller also . so got it out with the puller. scrubbed it some more with the pb blaster more bp soaked patches. thought there might be some crud left in the bore. so patches are comming out kind of clean. so i like a fool try the #13 again same think stuck down the bore. yep patch was wet. went to pull like heck i pulled the end off the cleaning rod. see where this is going ? so now i have a stuck patch and jag stuck. after cussing for a while i thought oh great now what? so had my phone handy to call 911. when i took out the nipple put just a bit of powder in it put the nipple back on put a cap on fired ar mt recliner. yea i'm in the house.fired patch and jag came out hit the chair. so like a moron i try to use the #13 again. this time i will not use the wood ram rod i will use my unbreakable Knight aluminum ram rod. guess what the do brake .grrrrrrrrrr. pulled the end off the rod just like the wood rod. so like a fool did the powder behind the nipple again. this time the patch , jag, ram rod are stuck down the bore. just great right ? so i did the powder thing again to blow out the rod, patch, jag out. ok pop it fires. all good right ? WRONG ! now i can't find the ram rod or jag. cant find them ant place .how hard would you think it would be to find a 30" ram rod fired at a recliner 10 foot away in one room? pretty darn hard. still can not hind it. no it's not in the bore. so how many idiots does it take to find a ram rod in a room ? i never used the #13 stuff before that normal? or do i still have crud at the bottom of the bore that keeps hanging up on ? the patches come right out when i use the patches soaked in the pb blaster. or throw away the # 13 stuff and just use soap and water i'm going to use triple 7 FFFG. hope your day went better than mine i'm new to the side lock muzzle loaders. i have a inline that i have used some. i like the side locks more than the in lines.

Man if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any at all.

I never use store bought cleaners. Hot soapy water works fine for me. I mix Spic and Span and hot water and use that to clean my guns. I am cheap, I oil my guns with a 50/50 mix of 2 stroke motor oil and Kerosene. I'd throw that #13 cleaner away if it was me.

Many Klatch

only reason i used the #13 stuff is it came in a T/C starter kit. i just the cva sharp shooter today. just wanted to clean it real good . who knows how long it sat in the gun shop. there was surface rust down the bore that i could not see in the shop. it is a decent looking gun real nice wood for a cheaper CVA it has the nice adjustable rear sights on it that i could see. old eyes the buckhorn sight was a fuzzy to me.

If you use the 777 3F your day will probably get worse. Inexpensive muzzleloaders can be very frustrating. Perhaps the cleaning rod is inside the recliner. :surrender:

I have a TC New Englander that likes to grab rods also, usually with a dry patch. I fished around with a long stiff wire and think that the vent opening is catching the patch and jag. I just don't know what to do about it. How do you remove the breech plug to get to that spot?
It probably is not the #13, but gunk or a funny spot in the barrel. My range rod is a "Plastic" one from DGW and has not come apart---yet--

so you think i should stay away from any thing other than real black powder. thats cool with me love the smell of the real thing.
darn rod is a mystery to me cant find it any where. found the wad bu not the rod and jag.i could loose a horse in a phone booth. :haha:

When I get a patch wanting to get stuck, usually a dry patch, I pour a little alcohol down the barrel behind it. Give it a little while to soak in and it pulls right out. That's rubbing alcohol but the way your day went the drinking kind might be better ... and not down the barrel :grin:

:v Look for a funny little round hole in the walls or ceiling that wasn't there before, the rod may be somewhere beyond that. Farther away than you think, if the cat isn't moving there might be a reason. :haha: :v

I'm with Mark. I'm inclined to think the rod is embedded in the recliner.

As for gunk in the barrel, you might try wrapping fine steel wool around a brush of the appropriate caliber. Use a lot of oil (penetrating oil, Kroil, Ballistol, etc.) and give the bore a good scrubbing with it. That breaks up rust far better than patches, and it helps buff out any sharp spots that could be snagging your patches. Every dozen strokes or so, remove the brush and patch the bore to remove any broken up fouling. A few rounds of that, and you should be through the worst of it. It's almost impossible to get a badly fouled or rusted bore clean using patches.

I started cleaning a gun for a friend and the cleaning rod got stuck in the barrel. I poured dish soap in the barrel and about 15 minutes of soaking the rod pulled out very easy. :thumbsup:

When I have a patch come off the cleaning rod tip, I use my .30 caliber centerfire rifle cleaning rod with an undersized cleaning brush on it to snag that patch - a .30 caliber brass brush works well in a 50 or 54 caliber barrel; I use a brush for a .45 caliber when the Bess eats a cleaning patch.

As for firing a stuck ramrod or cleaning tip out while indoors - I am sure that you used every safety precaution when you did that. But myself, I would only do that in the house if I wasn't married. Or no longer wanted to be. :shake:

sneezy

Well heres my .02! When I have that kind of luck I always think back to the ole saying, "Momma sid there would be days like this", she just didn't tell me they were going to be this bad. Laughter always helps!
Are you sure the second time the rod came out of the barrel? One of the worst dryballs I ever had involved a RB with a puller rung off in it and it refused to shoot out or move with grease and even tried a Co2 discharger. I had tried to shoot out in the field and thought I had seen it fly. Don't know what I saw but it wasn't the ball. Glad I trusted my insincts which were telling me it was still in there. I finally had to pull the breech plug and drive it out with a wood dowel and hammer.
Since then there is a mark on my ramrod that indicates an empty barrel. That way I have no doubt about a problem of such. I can also use that mark to guage wheter I have properly seated a load.
Put a bore light down and check to make sure the cleaning rod is not still broke off in the barrel!!!!!!! Especially since you can't find it or a hole in the wall.Recomend in the future you do the discharges outside from no on!
I use only real black despite the cost and the problem of getting it, subs were not dependable with igniton in my gun. Also the fouling was terrible!
I do use Hopppe's Black Powder Solvent & Lube as my lube, this seems to work great and keeps the fouling soft and easy to wipe in the field and helps immensely at cleanup time!
Good old soap and water does my cleaning and then a genourous rinse,wipe dry and light coat of Hoppe's gun oil most of which will get wiped back out again. Run a patch down it before I load the first time and she's good to go. Most will say pop a cap if you oil but I never use much and wiping has always done it for me.
Good luck in the future bud!

well today i found it. darn thing was 3 feet away you can see better when your not seeing red. no not married.i only used about 2-3 gr. of powder if that.

Sounds like you need a CO2 ball pooper-outer (extractor). When I got my new (old) New Englander with the cruddy barrel, I made sure it was unloaded, then I used various solvents, mostly Hoppes #9 on a bronze bore brush, and hooked my range rod up to my cordless drill. My wife held the breech end, and I ran the rotating bore brush up and down to clean. After a while, I flushed it out and did it again, 2 or 3 times. This really worked well and I would do it again on a bad barrel. My range rod is solid brass and fits nicely into my cordless drill.

I want to know more about that horse in the phone booth. If you can get it to dial out and order Chinese you might have something. :rotf:

i can loose anything. sit down lay something down on a table 2 min. later its 6 ft away.

looks like i found my problem with my cleaning patches sticking. theres a ring in front of the breach plug.i guess thats was the powder line where the bullet seated against the powder. i found a way to make a bore light for my side lock. what i did was remove the screw in the side of the (snail) ? thing where the nipple screws into. then i used my mini mag flash light. i un screwed the end of the light where the reflector is.un screw it off the housing as if your going to use it as a candle. then stick the bulb into the hole where that screw was that i took off. walla !!! bore light. not the greatest but you can see all the way back to the breach plug. so i need to get one of them scrapers i guess or make something that will work. i got the high part of the bore cleaned up the LANDS? but the low side GROVES still have some caked on rust. so i'm spraying the heck with the pb blaster laying it on it's side to soak .

Back