• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Barrel Failure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
India is the second largest steel producer in the world, and I am sure like any other country they have varying levels of quality, but they do produce firearms of high quality, so they have high quality steel, and if the purveyors of said Indian rifles are not outright lying about the specs on their barrel steel, it is plenty strong enough for the use intended, and then some

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_and_steel_industry_in_India

https://ddpdoo.gov.in/units/RFI

Even back in the days of matchlocks, Indian muskets were renowned for their quality, and the more modern 2A Enfield .308 was made from higher quality steel than the British models it derived from.

What evidence do you have as to their quality beyond your personal prejudice?

Ugh what evidence do you have that the best quality steel coming out of India is being used to make barrels or India made muskets? The evidence that is not is pretty clear in the price. The best steel coming out of India isn’t actually made in India by the way, the steel companies are all over the world, in England, Europe. Please explain, and do not tell me that it’s in their rich history of steel making that is a belief and a notion that does not hold up in your argument.

What’s the extra money put in to an Indian gun?
Ram rod, I have extras for all my guns
Oil and stain if you wish to rework the wood, twenty bucks?
Twenty bucks to dull the bright steel
Your still a couple of hundred less then a Kibler, and I think he only offers one smoothie

I sold mine

Ugh what evidence do you have that the best quality steel coming out of India is being used to make barrels or India made muskets? The evidence that is not is pretty clear in the price. The best steel coming out of India isn’t actually made in India by the way, the steel companies are all over the world, in England, Europe. Please explain, and do not tell me that it’s in their rich history of steel making that is a belief and a notion that does not hold up in your argument.
What evidence do you have that it is not of sufficient quality?

Unless the distributors are flat out lying about the specs on their websites then the quality of their barrel steel is fine.

I don't think they are lying because a simple metallurgical test would get them sued for a false advertising.

Are Pedersolis made from "Italian" steel? Do Italians have a rep for making steel? Do they even make steel in Italy? Or is all their domestic steel from scrap?

Last edited:
So you are guessing here and offering it as an experts opinion. Where I’m from we’ll call this a sham, are you selling something ?
Guessing on what? I was simply laying out generic testing guidelines.

Well, a barrel did explode that’s what this entire thread was about. So there I don’t trust it. Have a good day.
Yes you are correct. A barrel exploded made by a company not associated with the current products being imported from India. Companies that have been importing from their builders for decades. You are just as relevant saying a muzzleloader blew up and therefore all are unsafe.
If you consider American companies are held liable for safety by the threat of lawsuit ad Nick does then it stands to reason that if they were unsafe these companies would have been sued long ago considering the numbers they deal with.

Whatever the steel or brass alloy used considering tens of thousands in circulation with no documented failures. Having no failures/lawsuits for decades should be a massive stamp of approval.

Guessing on what? I was simply laying out generic testing guidelines.

Yes you are correct. A barrel exploded made by a company not associated with the current products being imported from India. Companies that have been importing from their builders for decades. You are just as relevant saying a muzzleloader blew up and therefore all are unsafe.

If you consider American companies are held liable for safety by the threat of lawsuit ad Nick does then it stands to reason that if they were unsafe these companies would have been sued long ago considering the numbers they deal with.

Whatever the steel or brass alloy used considering tens of thousands in circulation with no documented failures. Having no failures/lawsuits for decades should be a massive stamp of approval.

How could there be lawsuits? Their guns are not sold as guns out of india ? They’re not vented. How could anybody in India be held liable? There are documented failures.

Boom 💥

How could there be lawsuits? Their guns are not sold as guns out of india ? They’re not vented. How could anybody in India be held liable? There are documented failures.

Boom 💥
If you care to reread I was referring to the companies that drill the vent and sell as guns. These would be American companies not Indian.

You say there are documented failures. .
PROVE IT. Show me a gun imported by an American company that has failed.

SECOND TIME I Call BS on this topic on you. Please for the sake of others back up your claims or apologize.

If you care to reread I was referring to the companies that drill the vent and sell as guns. These would be American companies not Indian.

You say there are documented failures. .
PROVE IT. Show me a gun imported by an American company that has failed.

SECOND TIME I Call BS on this topic on you. Please for the sake of others back up your claims or apologize.

You, Mr. grifter calling out BS that’s genuinely rich. You’re one to ask for an apology you owe dozens of people an apology and interest for wasting their time. You should be ashamed of yourself, Mike you should be booted from this forum for the things you’ve done to others.

Last edited:
You, Mr. grifter calling out BS that’s genuinely rich. You’re one to ask for an apology you owe dozens of people an apology and interest for wasting their time. You should be ashamed of yourself, Mike you should be booted from this forum for the things you’ve done to others.
So I have a question for you. There are so many members here, including moderators, that have purchased these Indian guns and had success with them, and no barrel failures, what do you attribute that to?

Your still a couple of hundred less then a Kibler, and I think he only offers one smoothie

Indeed, the way things are going not many of us will be able to afford an Indian made ML soon, let alone a quality custom made kit.

Holy cow, you must work for cheap. Just making my hourly rate at my real job would end up costing 10k to fix all the mechanical and visual deficiencies of the standard India made ML.

I think youve missed the point, he's talking about what the associated costs would be if one was working on their own Indian made ML, not as a commercial venture.

So rather than backing up your statements when BS is called you resort to name calling. As this is the second time (on this thread) I can only assume that you have have no legitimate argument and are hoping the topic will be closed.

So rather than backing up your statements when BS is called you resort to name calling. As this is the second time (on this thread) I can only assume that you have have no legitimate argument and are hoping the topic will be closed.
I think you missed the last 22 pages of this thread.

No matter, we’ll just wait until the next one blows up and have the discussion again, and there will be yourself and those asking for evidence of failures after 3 4 and 5 more blow up at reinacments or fail a proof test.

FYI not sure if you changed your phone number again, reach out to some of your customers on this form they’re looking for you

Best regards

Last edited:
I think you missed the last 22 pages of this thread.

No matter, we’ll just wait until the next one blows up and have the discussion again, and there will be yourself and those asking for evidence of failures after 3 4 and 5 more blow up at reinacments or fail a proof test.

FYI not sure if you changed your phone number again, reach out to some of your customers on this form they’re looking for you

Best regards
All I hear is false statements that can't be backed up.

I read Cap and Balls article on the India made gun that malfunctioned in the Hungarian proof house. He stated that they had no idea what metal or method was used in the manufacturing process. For whatever it’s worth, Military Heritage states that their barrels are “made of tempered seamless gun steel (type BS970 no.080M40.” I don’t know what that is but I assume it’s good steel. My opinion is that because these are made as non firing replicas, the manufacturer has no obligation to test the material or the final product. We all know what problems Remington had with heat treating when it was done by eye. If you drill the touch hole, you need to test it or “proof it” with stronger than normal loads before you shoulder it.

There are certainly better options out there for some of the reproductions, but where else are you going to find dog locks?

Apples and oranges. Kibler=rifle Indian=smoothbore musket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back