• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Intro to muzzleloading books?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, all!

I already posted my intro post, but I thought I would start a new thread to ask if you had any recommendations for books teaching the basics.

I'm pretty computer facile, and I know there's a buttload of stuff out there in the interwebs, but a physical, tactile book is nice to have at the end of the day, relaxing with a glass of your favorite beverage...

Many thanks!

R

Howdy Rich,

Sam Fadala's book, which has many editions, was helpful to me. There's a bunch of good stuff out there. Black Powder Gun Digest, edited by Toby Bridges, is a good one too. I'm sure they'll be a lot of folks contribute other great recommendations as well.

Welcome to the forum and to shooting BP!
Best regards,
A.J.

Greetings, all!

I already posted my intro post, but I thought I would start a new thread to ask if you had any recommendations for books teaching the basics.

I'm pretty computer facile, and I know there's a buttload of stuff out there in the interwebs, but a physical, tactile book is nice to have at the end of the day, relaxing with a glass of your favorite beverage...

Many thanks!

R
Fortunately, traditional black powder technology hasn't changed since Dutch Schoultz did his research for "Black Powder Accuracy" and Sam Fadala wrote the books for Digest Books in the 1980's. The basic information is there. There is a lot of great information in the loading manuals from Lyman. Yes, they were written in the 1980's with some editions of the Gun Digest Loading Manuals making into the 2000's, but the basic information is good even though some of the Lyman performance data was obtained using Curtis and Harvey Black Powder. Pyrodex was a new powder at the time and some information is in the loading manuals, but nothing for 777. And certainly, nothing for Swiss Powder, WANO, Kik or Old Eynsford. Maybe the new incarnation of GOEX by Estes Powder will have an upgraded version of Olde Eynsford.

There's just not a lot of current information on the basics of traditional muzzleloading available in print other than searching out the old printings. Loading quantities (by volume) haven't changed significantly. Cleaning methods are still the same. Weights of round ball haven't changed. use of 100% cotton for patching hasn't changed although use of Crisco isn't used much as there are better lubricants. Some lubricants are no longer available. Many of the rifles described in the loading manuals are no longer in production. That pretty much leaves the Dixie Gun Works catalog as the most current print material although the content hasn't changed much since I received my first catalog over 40 years ago. Prices have changed though. While one may think that we should have some new super solvent that can clean all the fouling from a muzzleloading firearm, lubricate the bore and inhibit rust at the same time, that hasn't happened even though some try.

It is worthwhile to join the NMLRA to receive their monthly magazine, "Muzzleblasts" or and subscribing to "Muzzleloader" magazine.

I'd also like to voice support for Sam Falda's Handbook "Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual". I have both editions, and they are pretty good, though neither has 777 data and all the data from the first edition is for powders that are no longer made. The formula for GO is different than GOEX.

Latest posts

Back