• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is my first impression with Dixie Gun Works normal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_tail

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently placed a small order with Dixie Gun Works on the web when I ordered all of my items and placed the correct qty’s on their form and submitted the order. When I received the confirmation email all of my qty’s were wrong (half of what I had order). I called them the next day and explained that the qty’s were wrong. I was told that I could not change my order, and it was going to be shipped per the confirmation. I had to tell them that I was going to either cancel the order or refuse to take deliver if the qty’s were wrong. They finally agree to correct the order.

After I received the order I inspected all of the round balls and found that six out one hundred balls were bad (6%). They had holes in them as much as twenty-five percent of the ball was missing. I sent an e-mail back to them asking if this was typical of their workmanship, and two weeks later I still have not heard from them.

I am wondering if I just had a bad day with them or is this typical?

white_tail said:
I recently placed a small order with Dixie Gun Works on the web when I ordered all of my items and placed the correct qty’s on their form and submitted the order. When I received the confirmation email all of my qty’s were wrong (half of what I had order). I called them the next day and explained that the qty’s were wrong. I was told that I could not change my order, and it was going to be shipped per the confirmation. I had to tell them that I was going to either cancel the order or refuse to take deliver if the qty’s were wrong. They finally agree to correct the order.

After I received the order I inspected all of the round balls and found that six out one hundred balls were bad (6%). They had holes in them as much as twenty-five percent of the ball was missing. I sent an e-mail back to them asking if this was typical of their workmanship, and two weeks later I still have not heard from them.

I am wondering if I just had a bad day with them or is this typical?
I used Dixe a couple times back in the 90s...both orders were wrong, the most significant of which was a new SxS .12ga BP shotgun...they literally sent the wrong shotgun.

I have never / will never use them again...no need to...everything about muzzleloading I've ever needed for over the past 10 years I've found easily at a variety other BP suppliers on the web...

The reason why I am asking the question, I am wanting to place another order for .690 round balls. Twenty years ago when I was shooting more I had good luck with them, but things could change.

white_tail said:
The reason why I am asking the question, I am wanting to place another order for .690 round balls. Twenty years ago when I was shooting more I had good luck with them, but things could change.
You might give Eddie May a call...best cast ball prices I've found (no website)

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

Thanks for the information, I am wanting to get the right round ball for my shotgun then I will purchase / make a mould.

Too bad about the Dixie order. I have ordered from them a bunch of times and have never had a problem. I have order pistols to clothing parts to gun parts .

Well, kinda typical. Kinda.

I've used Dixie a few times, when others didn't have what I wanted. The orders were correctly processed and the products were good. Except.

One time there was a gun on the confirmation email that wasn't in my shopping cart or on my screen shot copy of the order. I called and explained I hadn't ordered a gun, and they said that I had. I offered to send them a copy of the screen shot of my shopping cart as proof and they declined, but still said their records showed I had ordered the gun. I had to cancel the entire order to get them to remove the gun and then reorder what I wanted.

Not my worst experience with an internet retailer, but not particularly fun either.

roundball said:
white_tail said:
You might give Eddie May a call...best cast ball prices I've found (no website)

Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

I just got an order of 400 .600 round balls from Eddie today. He is real nice to deal with and is a shooter himself. :thumbsup:

Re Dixie: I have always found them ok to deal with and have not had problems (I generally order by phone). But, I don't get that much from them as other sites often have better quality or lower prices.

Last Five orders were screwed up and I talked to a real person. Had to send 2 orders back,wrong parts rcvd and was not even usable to any one. Would not recommend them to anybody, period. JMHO.. PeashooterJoe.

Living in Alaska mail order is the only way to buy BP supplies, we have very limited resources to purchase from. I have been ordering from Dixie for 20 years now and have had very few problems. I have found that the online order system has serious problems. The online system will only ship to Alaska by UPS 2nd day air at a cost of $30+ dollars and still takes a week to arrive. I just call in my order and only pay standard us postal rates.I have never had a problem ordering by phone. Just the online system seem to malfunction.

Nothing like Custmer Satisfaction.....DGW seems to always be rude and demand to be the final word!

They were good in the 50's,60's and 70's, but really gone down hill in service and quality since Turner passed!...In my opinion anyway! :shake: :(

Wow!! thanks for saveing the headache :v guys... Now I've order form the (POSSIBLE SHOP) that is addvertise here on this sight and there service was outstanding and the price is fear. The shipping is fast too!! :thumbsup:

Doe said:
Wow!! thanks for saveing the headache :v guys... Now I've order form the (POSSIBLE SHOP) that is addvertise here on this sight and there service was outstanding and the price is fear. The shipping is fast too!! :thumbsup:
I've used the Possible Shop several times myself, good all the way around.

This thread is a textbook example of the power of "word of mouth advertising"

Ive had the fastest delivery Ive ever seen from the Possibles Shop. They're great. Have also had very good service from Cains and Track of the Wolf. Ive had great service from these 3 suppliers.

doulos said:
Ive had the fastest delivery Ive ever seen from the Possibles Shop. They're great. Have also had very good service from Cains and Track of the Wolf. Ive had great service from these 3 suppliers.
And October Country is another good one

Sorry but since Turner died the company has really slipped. Have found phone orders seem to go through better than E-mail orders now. God and DGW know why!

I tried do business wit them several times in the 1970s, 5 out of the 6 orders that I did with them were wrong - one of them twice! :shocked2: I last ordered from them in 1987 - it was wrong too. They made it right in the end but I haven't bought from them since. Good to hear that things haven't changed. Maybe my memory is too long but there are plenty of other places to order from. :surrender:

That must have been a bad day at DGW. I have used DGW for years and seldom had any complaints with their mail orders or their products. Their prices are a little high in comparison to other suppliers but they have some items that no other supplier has.I "cherry-pick" my black powder supplies from about six different suppliers.

I have ordered a few boxes of .575"/.577 cal. minie balls made from the Lyman 575213-OS mold from DGW and never had any that were as you describe.

My complaint is that some minie balls sometime come in a plastic bag which can deform the skirts. I have received "leather" from them that was sub-standard. Example: A frog for a Enfield bayonet sheath I received from DGW was immediately thrown in the trash. It was made out some sort of laminated cardboard.

Bad news spreads like wild fire, good news rarely goes anywhere.
This is a company that predomintly supports this "hobby of ours".
I dont think it right to detail a handful of bad experiences against all the good experiences that fellow forum members here have had that are not going noticed.
There is a reason they are still in business.
Granted there are worse and better companies doing the same thing, its a competitive market place!
We all can pick and choose who we do business with...I get items a,b and c from company z and items d,e and f from company x, because it works for me. (product line, quality, timelyness, communication, pricing, ect)
do the research and act accordingly!

Back