• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's a family tradition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvil1231

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hear alot talking about not being able to find black powder anymore. Well you can find it in my hometown. By the gross
DSCF0229.jpg

I live in Cherryville N.C. and we have the New year shooters and about every household here has a muzzleloader that comes out once a year at midnight on Jan.1 and stays out till 6 pm Jan.1 This has been going on for years and years. Everyone here man,woman and child know what a muzzlelaoder is. The sad thing about it is that many antique guns have been destroyed doing this . Heres a link to a video that will explain.
Cherryville New Years shooters

Here is the official website
Cherryvilleshooters.com
So I have heard muskets going off,seen muzzlelaoders going off and shot a couple times for almost the last 2 weeks.

Quite a tradition indeed. They are no doubt all "blanks" but from the recoil noted on some of them it was a LOT more powder than I would care to use.

I'm suprised there hasn't been a few people killed doing that...Not for me...I've shot quite a few blank loads with up to 100grs of Goex and I'm never had that type of recoil...

Crazy indeed. There were a few of us talking today. As the years pass and you get older you get alot smarter and start lowering the load. If you will note must of the big recoils are the younger guys that will learn if they live.

I love it, every town should have a New Year like that. :hatsoff:
Thanks for showing all of us that freedom video. :thumbsup:

Well, firing in the New Year is cool, but I don't get the bent over and letting the rifle fly out of your hands shooting stance... If you overload it that much, you deserve what you get.

They all seem to be getting a kick out of it :rotf: but looks like a waste of good powder. :hmm:

Carl Davis said:
Pork Chop said:
Well, firing in the New Year is cool, but I don't get the bent over and letting the rifle fly out of your hands shooting stance... If you overload it that much, you deserve what you get.

:shake:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/64883[/quote]
As long as this has been going on here there has never been anyone killed. Other than scraped fingers and ringing ears the worst I have ever seen happen. A new guy forgot to remove his ramrod and it ended up in someones leg. Believe it or not they do have rules. It is policed pretty tight. You also have to be a paid member with ID to shoot anymore.
The incident Paul Harvey was referring to was not here in Cherryville. It was in a town About 8 miles alway from here called Lincolnton. It was a group of teens that decided they were going to start there own tradition and thats the rest of the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really didn't understand what you were talking about until I watched the video. Holy smokes!! What kind of charge do you have to put down those barrels to make them fly like that!@

Hi to Post
Happy New Year from the Great White North. Well after seeing the video I guess that blowing down the barrel of my Tulle after its been shot seems quite a safe practise. Horseplay with guns in this present world I can't agree with fun or not. I will continue my unsafe blowing since it's just hot air into a empty piece of pipe. People call me crazy. This is exactly what will kill this hobby someday. The tradition of the New Years Shoot may be a blast but in these modern times too many things can and will go wrong. Our 21 first century thinking will turn it around on our blackpowder hobby. As was said someone shot a ramrod into someones leg. True or urban legend. Who knows who cares. No horseplay with guns old or new.

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Mi Amigos)Stay Well and Shoot Often

Earlier this year I mistakenly fired off my Bess with somewhere between 800 and 1,200 grains of 2F powder of blank load :shocked2: . (It's a long story with a short ending :redface: ) The blast knocked me down, the gun was spinning in the air and I got 7 stitches on my trigger finger from the trigger guard.

I can tell you from experience that was a similar load to what those guys are doing on purpose. They are a lot braver than I am :surrender: .

Many Klatch

In my opinion--------IDIOTS.
It's fine to celebrate with a "bang" but to overload to this point is what the anti-gunners are looking for. I wonder if they've ever heard of gun safety classes?

I live near Asheville, and the local lefty media all hate the practice...if I weren't too old to stay up till midnight, I'd do it myself...Hank

I don't see anything that bad myself other than the ramrod deal. I liked the video. Plus you have rules to follow. Anything set up with firearms could be dangerous no matter where it is. Getting in car is dangerous.
BUT I feel holding the gun down like they did would be more of a hazard? What is the reason for that? :hmm:

I am not going to debate the safty issue,I will try to remain bias being from here :wink: I will say that I have not shot with the group in over 15 years. Rules or no rules,being safe as you can be doesn't mean the guy beside you has any sense :youcrazy: . I will shoot in my back yard where I can control everything :nono: and not over load. I think alot more of myself,not to even mention thinking alot of my guns. The advantage to the whole thing that I really like is that I have no problem finding powder.

The safety issues are so obvious there is nothing to debate about them.

There is nothing left to debate about the video being a very powerful tool for the anti gun/hunting bleeding heart liberals either.

Might be considered a fine tradition locally maybe, but it could have lasting effects on all of us.

:shake:

Back