• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Matchlock Details

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gulielmus. Thanks for the information on the books. I'll try to locate them.
There was a bolt action conversion that came up for sale at one of the Auctions a few years ago. As well as one made/converted to percussion. I've only seen a photo of an ultra rare flintlock conversion.
Thanks again for the book references. Rick. :hatsoff:

Conversions or not, bolt action cartridge firing matchlocks are far beyond the scope of the things we discuss on the MLF.

Zonie said:
Conversions or not, bolt action cartridge firing matchlocks are far beyond the scope of the things we discuss on the MLF.

I have an ECW matchlock that someone tried to convert to late pattern match lock (probably Victorian), a chunky wheel lock that someone tried to convert to a musket lock (probably ECW) and a Japlock that someone tried to convert to percussion (probably an idiot) :thumbsup:

...and a coiled leaf spring which still works after 600 years at the bottom of the river Thames.

coiledleaf.jpg

I was very interested in seeing photos of Ricky's original, & Alden's repro Japanese matchlocks. I have an original that I purchased about 14 years ago, I have shot it some but found the long throw of the serpentine frustrating. Both Ricky & Alden mention specifically the short throw on their muskets, which got me thinking about mine. Here's a few pictures, perhaps the more experienced amongst you can tell me if there's something wrong with the geometry of mine, or if it's just another variation.
MatchlockFL_zpsb7a9165e.jpg

MatchlockSerpentineAtRest_zps7d1cb70c.jpg

Serpentine at rest.
MatchlockSerpentineCocked_zps35d77ef0.jpg

Cocked
MatchlockBreechTopView_zps1054eb36.jpg

Darn that is a nice gun. I don't claim expertise, but that long throw looks way wrong. Either a buyer ordered it that way to reduce risk of sparks prejudging a situation, or that serpentine was made to be used somewhere else. Perhaps the owner liked to hold it with his thumb instead of the sear.

Yes, a nice arm.

That IS a long throw. Does it fall from gravity, is there a light spring, or a heavy spring, pushing it? I'd kinda prefer something in between that and mine with a very, very, light spring...

Yes, that is a nice one! That serpentine does in fact have a long travel. Never seen one like that. :hmm: From the photos, the tail of the serpentine does seem to engage the sear correctly. And the serpentine does not appear to be bent. So, it seems that it was made that way. Possibly to enable the user to carry the gun while the match cord remained in the serpentine, but far away from the pan area. :idunno: Very unusual.
As Alden mentioned, it would be interesting to know if the spring release is firm or light?
Again, nice looking piece. Glad you were able to fire her. Rick. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the replies fellas. The musket is actually quite a plain one, with the only embellishment being the inlaid character on the top of the barrel.....it is the Chinese character for 'Strong' & is also stamped onto the bottom of the flashpan cover, & towards the front of the lockplate just ahead of the serpentine. The underside of the barrel is covered with extensive stamped/engraved characters, detailing the specifics of the musket. I sent the a rubbing of the markings to the Asian language Department of the University of Washington some years ago, without mentioning what or where they were from & I got a fairly detailed reply from the department head. I knew the characters were Chinese, not Japanese, so approached it from that angle, but the professor actually asked if the item were not in fact Japanese in origin as some of the names & other word useage pointed to that.

To answer your questions as best I can;
Yes, the tail does contact the sear, though it was quite worn when I first got it, I fixed it by building up the brass on the rear side of the serpentine in that area, as can be seen in the last photo.

The external (brass/bronze) mainspring is what powers the serpentine, but it is quite weak.

The serpentine actually places the match a little too far forward of the flashpan for reliable ignition, it seems. I am tempted to try & bend the tail of the serpentine to reposition it about halfway, or better, between its current location & those on the two muskets shown earlier in this thread, to get a shorter throw & faster lock time, & also bend the clamp end a tad to get it more central to the pan. Would you suggest this, & if so how would you tackle it? Bend cold or with heat?

I have looked at pictures of a many other matchlock muskets, from different regions of Japan, & none seem to have such long serpentine travel.

Now that's funny you say that...

I wondered if the angle or length of the serpentine didn't seem a little off and/or long, respectively, but figured its the photo and you know the gun. The serpentine is not the original!

All of the mainsprings on these, including mine are weak. When the serpentine is in a normal ready position, it takes very little to get it to the pan. Travel is real short.
I keep looking at your photos. But it doesn't make sense. That serpentine has to have been bent sometime in the past. If it were mine, I would want to have it fixed. Especially if I wanted to shoot it. Hard to tell if it was bent in the front or rear portion. :hmm: It would seem the amount of bending would require some low heat. Just not sure.
If you like, I can send your photos to my gunsmith for his opinion. He is very good with this kind of work. Let me know. Rick. :hatsoff:

FWIW, many of the original Japanese Tagashima's I've seen seem to have serpentines that no longer line up with the pan. Rebending the Serpentine so the match does line up was one of the more common repairs I've done on these guns.

Oh, rebending so they line up side to side on the pan seems more common than needing to rebend front to back in those I've seen. I never got the idea the Serpentines were purposely bent away from lining up properly on the pan though. I think it happened/happens more often from shipping or perhaps less than careful handling.

Gus

Bending brass should be done cold, with annealing between if it is hard.

Brass is I recall 'hot-short' which means it breaks freely when bent hot. Of course, your alloy could be quite different to the usual modern brasses in western countries.

If you are planning to fire it, do consider the safety of the breech plug based on what others have shown here about early Japanese guns breeching arrangements. Light charges even if they are in good condition.

It appears to me that serpentine is not bent out of shape and so why I am questioning its originality to that particular gun. I would NOT bend it if I were you but live with it if you can.

It might be easiest to simply make a replacement serpentine that would shorten the throw, assuming that the one on the gun can be readily removed.
Just copy what is there with the cocking tail at a shallower angle.

I think that a decent set of drawings/plans for one of these guns would find a market.

Well, I received an email back from my gunsmith.
He said he would first try to bend it cold. Then use LOW heat if necessary. But, the amount of bending required seems severe. If it can be done without breaking, it might look deformed (?)
But another option would be to make a new serpentine to fit. He has one, so it could be duplicated and look original. In any case, he would need to see the gun to make a final decision. PM me if you decide to go this route. I do know the guy has been able to make changes/repairs to stuff I would have bet couldn't be done.
If you only occasionally shoot the gun, and don't mind the way it looks now, you could just live with it like Alden says.
Rick. :hatsoff:

I don't think it will bend very far without looking weird and nothing will line up like it should. I'd suggest a cut and stick, if you braze it the join will not be obvious.

Latest posts

Back