• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim & Barbie Chambers Where Are You?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember how many times I hit my head on the swing up doors at the red barns. If they are that worried about people suing, then they should fix things like that. I have a hard head and had a hat on, so it really didn't hurt. But, someone else might "get hurt" and want some money.
Those swing up red doors on the red barnsā€¦

AD46EE0F-5CC3-4307-9141-C8A415C72FD4.jpeg

E4DC06A8-0A3E-4E52-A784-417539379CF6.jpeg

From reading the NMLRA webpage, the Sheep Sheds or Commercial Row was established in the early 60ā€™s..

Iā€™m convinced that those sheds are still up too the 1960ā€™s rural Indiana fire codes..
Just as much as the other older buildings on the site areā€¦.

It seems too me that since the organization applied for the grant money, common sense has abandoned the organizationā€¦šŸ¤·

I hope the NMLRA can survive all the new rules and regulationsā€¦

The problem about the doors are people with NO COMMON sense and to stupid to bend down....So instead of admitting they were stupid for not looking they think of a law suit ....Pathetic
That's very negative of you.

Those doors look like a death trap.

Of course I'm kidding.

Mother Nature gave us the ability to bend down for a reason.

Those swing up red doors on the red barnsā€¦

View attachment 229496
View attachment 229497

From reading the NMLRA webpage, the Sheep Sheds or Commercial Row was established in the early 60ā€™s..

Iā€™m convinced that those sheds are still up too the 1960ā€™s rural Indiana fire codes..
Just as much as the other older buildings on the site areā€¦.

It seems too me that since the organization applied for the grant money, common sense has abandoned the organizationā€¦šŸ¤·

I hope the NMLRA can survive all the new rules and regulationsā€¦
I don't see anything wrong with the doors.

I've mashed my brains out on those doors for decades. If you have a bill on your cap you're going g to run into them .when I had a booth there I witnessed others mashing g their heads into them several times an hour. Not much can be done about it.

As the current prez of a small active charter club (30ish members) that has been around since '69, I am reading this with interest. Never had an incident that required professional intervention, sometimes smaller is better, but I will be looking at things with a slightly more critical eye now. Oh, at 6'1", I'm a foot taller than my wife and been bumping my head for decades and she has said many times how it sucks being short.
Edit: We had to start a feel good waiver thingy two years ago after a minor incident at our parent club, caused by stupidity, that could have ballooned.

Last edited:
Mike is right. I stopped supporting the NMLRA a number of years ago.
I supported and volunteered at the Western Nationals for 10+ years.
Then they decided to stop coming to Phoenix because they couldnā€™t make any money.
Ok, bring 13 people here, with rental cars, salaries,hotels etc., then charge hundreds of dollars to shoot.
Yeah, thatā€™s a money maker.
Locals have now started AZWINS, and guess what, one fee, shoot all you want, and VIOLA! Success!

Learn real quick who to associate with on this forum. This is the only forum I'm a member of that has so many negative people willing to put others down for the simplest things.

Most doors are 6' 6" - 7' up in the air. A few hang about 5' 10" - 6', drooping in the middle, and it's very easy to not notice when every other door I could walk under. After 2 or 3 times, I started looking at the doors before walking under. I had a hat on and sun glasses. Trying to be polite to all the elderly people wanting to look at stuff, I didn't notice a few low hanging doors.

Glad some of you never have accidents and are so perfect that you never bump into anything. Keep up the good work!

Mike is right. I stopped supporting the NMLRA a number of years ago.
I supported and volunteered at the Western Nationals for 10+ years.
Then they decided to stop coming to Phoenix because they couldnā€™t make any money.
Ok, bring 13 people here, with rental cars, salaries,hotels etc., then charge hundreds of dollars to shoot.
Yeah, thatā€™s a money maker.
Locals have now started AZWINS, and guess what, one fee, shoot all you want, and VIOLA! Success!
All the swells that ran the NMLRA back in those days treated the western as a company paid vacation. As I said earlier, they have never had trouble finding ways to spend money they don't have. I always wondered why the locals out west didn't grab the bull by the horns and just run the shoot themselves. Glad to hear that they finally did. Smart move.

All the swells that ran the NMLRA back in those days treated the western as a company paid vacation. As I said earlier, they have never had trouble finding ways to spend money they don't have. I always wondered why the locals out west didn't grab the bull by the horns and just run the shoot themselves.
An issue it seems is the survival of the Friendship events and the complex itself vs shall we call it the field out here. Friendship has very little if any involvement with clubs outside of friendship and thus dual loyalties. Example all the monies they received from the pitman robinson act went towards the Walter Cline range. Good for them but for most it has no impact upon the majority of members but was the major focus and energy spent by the board.

Growth could come back some if say the territorial program, AZWINS and other events run locally would be given serious support. As it seems now these events are not even qualifying as an after thought to the NMLRA. The NMLRA should be a national organization and then you have local programs run by locals. The NMLRA cannot be all do all as now they are fighting the fight to keep the Walter Cline facility alive. The territorial program is going away through attrition and inflexible rules just like many clubs. Read your membership desires and support those desires.

Comfortably Numb is Mr. Mike Brooks. He has a resume and then some. Anyone doubting his credentials can rest easy. He has built more high end guns than most ever dream about.
Is this the Mike Brookes who made Flint Guns and moved from Shefield,UK to France and made Phoenix Silk Double Tapered Oil Dressed Fly Lines ?? O.D.

Last edited:
Reading through the comments there are many correct statements, some not as much.
I will attempt to address some, so this response may seem a bit disconnected.

The association has made some decisions that turned out to be less helpful to the organization than intended. Putting it nicely.
The new rental agreement does not remove liability from the association, nor was it intended to do so.
The rules have not been changed, these rules have been in place for at least two or three decades, it was not until now that it was asked that a vendor sign them to acknowledge receipt of the rules.
The association currently does not have a new director, just a manager of operations, and I can assure you that he does not make 100k a year or even close to it.
Security risks have been addressed by other vendors without the need to sleep inside the booth space.
Liability for a vendor has always been there, the new document did not add it, it only pointed it out to the vendor.
I can assure everyone that the current board does not want to change the experience of visiting Friendship, I have had many conversations and meetings during this shoot about how to keep the feelings alive and to grow them.
We are addressing vendor costs, and coming up with solutions for the existing structures.

I urge all NMLRA members to attend membership and board meetings and to make their voices heard. I am also available via telephone and email to take questions and concerns from members, and do so on a daily basis.

Reading through the comments there are many correct statements, some not as much.
I will attempt to address some, so this response may seem a bit disconnected.

The association has made some decisions that turned out to be less helpful to the organization than intended. Putting it nicely.
The new rental agreement does not remove liability from the association, nor was it intended to do so.
The rules have not been changed, these rules have been in place for at least two or three decades, it was not until now that it was asked that a vendor sign them to acknowledge receipt of the rules.
The association currently does not have a new director, just a manager of operations, and I can assure you that he does not make 100k a year or even close to it.
Security risks have been addressed by other vendors without the need to sleep inside the booth space.
Liability for a vendor has always been there, the new document did not add it, it only pointed it out to the vendor.
I can assure everyone that the current board does not want to change the experience of visiting Friendship, I have had many conversations and meetings during this shoot about how to keep the feelings alive and to grow them.
We are addressing vendor costs, and coming up with solutions for the existing structures.

I urge all NMLRA members to attend membership and board meetings and to make their voices heard. I am also available via telephone and email to take questions and concerns from members, and do so on a daily basis.
You must be the new "manager of operations" right? The NMLRA has tried that before and it was a big flop, total waste of money. I understand you have no experience with muzzleloaders at all. Seems that would be a very important qualification for the job. Who interviewed you for the job? Did the BOD get to vote on it?

You must be the new "manager of operations" right? The NMLRA has tried that before and it was a big flop, total waste of money. I understand you have no experience with muzzleloaders at all. Seems that would be a very important qualification for the job. Who interviewed you for the job? Did the BOD get to vote on it?
Yes I am the new Manager of Operations. I cannot speak to what happened before or how others performed in their roles, only that I see differences in what is happening now versus what has happened before. You are right I have limited experience with muzzleloaders, however my experience in business development, management, construction and engineering give me a solid foundation for what the job requires. From what I understand and have seen, this is different than previous efforts. The executive committee of the board of directors interviewed me for this position and I do not have first hand knowledge of what the BOD did or did not vote on regarding my employment.

Example all the monies they received from the pitman robinson act went towards the Walter Cline range.
Since this was money gifted from the Government I wonder what "Obligations" may come with it down the road? Lead projectile bans perhaps? I don't trust the Government enough to accept gifts from them....

Yes I am the new Manager of Operations. I cannot speak to what happened before or how others performed in their roles, only that I see differences in what is happening now versus what has happened before. You are right I have limited experience with muzzleloaders, however my experience in business development, management, construction and engineering give me a solid foundation for what the job requires. From what I understand and have seen, this is different than previous efforts. The executive committee of the board of directors interviewed me for this position and I do not have first hand knowledge of what the BOD did or did not vote on regarding my employment.
Well good luck. It's never turned out well before. I hate to be a negative Ned, but I've been going there since 1980 and the cycle repeats it's self over and over with the outcome always expected to be different. Membership is down 50% from when I started. It's going to be a long uphill run to get back to that.

Back