• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just how accurate should a 1in48 twist be

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TANSTAAFL said:
Jeremiah Johnson carried one. yes he did, but he was by no means a mountain man of the fur trade era, a Mexican war veteran, he never even showed up until ten years after the fur trade had died. Kit Carson carried a Hawken, yep, I think he also purchased the S. Hawken in the mid 1850's & carried said Hawken into the 1860's.
I seem to recall that Johnson also had a Spencer repeater rebarreled and restocked in Hawken style. Saw a photo of it and it looked pretty sharp. No mention of the twist rate though. :haha:

Stumpkiller said:
DIAMONDTARG.jpg

This is a 50 yard OFFHAND(!) target I fired with my dumb little .50 cal 1:48", 26" barrel T/C New Englander I assembled from a kit (my favorite percussion rifle). Honestly, if I could duplicate this with my 1:66" custom flinter I'd be a happy, happy man. It will shoot this way from a kneeling or sitting position any time I ask. I haven't used a proper table "rest" in better than 15 years.

You'll never hear me badmouth the 1:48" twist, provided you take the time to find the load that works in your rifle. This is 84 gr FFg and works perfectly well on deer. Anything much heavier is all over the target. My .54 cal 1:48 Renegade seems to shoot well with anything on out to 100 yards, and for many years was my primary squirrel rifle with 42 gr FFg.

50yrds OFF HAND!!! :bow: my god man stay in Newyork I hope to never see you at one of our western comp
:rotf:
I can see where a one an fourtyeight needs the perfect load. I shoot green mtn barrels and seem to get really great accurcy from many differen't powder charges slow ball twist in all of them :thumbsup:

Did you also read the story behind that Spencer of Johnson's, I read he killed a Black man for it, fired it a few times and chucked it, claimed the Spencer had no power as compared to the ML Hawken. I think the only picture known of Johnson was when he was an old man, pic taken with a Winchester shortly before his death.

Gemner (sp) made a few of the Spencers up to resemble a Hawken, but weren't many takers, then, one now would be worth more than a few bucks.

Outstanding group offhand with any kind of rifle, load or twist. Great shooting.

Not very What? If you are refering to the offhand group Stumpkiller shot with his 1-48" twist barrel, i wonder what you, the expert consider a good group? Maybe you could post pics of some of your offhand groups so we that don't know any better can see what a REAL good group looks like.

I have shot several 1-48" T/C's they shoot fine if you load them correctly,tight patch and 3f black powder makes for a good load in all that I have shot

Rebel,
Do you suppose Ol Swampy gets his jolies off of yanking our chains?I hope we aren't dissapointing him. :hmm:

Greenmtnboy said:
I can see where a one an fourtyeight needs the perfect load. I shoot green mtn barrels and seem to get really great accurcy from many differen't powder charges slow ball twist in all of them :thumbsup:
I don't know about perfect, my CVA Bobcat will do somethin' similar with prbs or Buffalo's Ballets, propelled with anything from 50 to 80 grains of FFg Wano. I gotta admit it shoots the prbs just about a 1/4" better'n the conicals. I don't often git more'n two in one hole though. :(

Slamfire said:
Greenmtnboy said:
I don't know about perfect, my CVA Bobcat will do somethin' similar with prbs or Buffalo's Ballets, propelled with anything from 50 to 80 grains of FFg Wano. I gotta admit it shoots the prbs just about a 1/4" better'n the conicals. I don't often git more'n two in one hole though. :(

Every load I shoot in mine gives excellent accuracy...it's not simply powder charges...the key to accurate shooting in shallow rifled barrels is a tight fitting patch/ball combo, then the powder charges don't matter.

I shoot maximum deer hunting loads with oxyoke wonderwads, .018" pillow ticking patches, and Hornady balls...no inaccuracy or "stripping rifling"...1+7/8" to 2+3/4" groups at 100yds, etc.

:thumbsup:

Yup, every serious competition shooter I know is switching to T/C right now. :grin: You betcha!

CoyoteJoe said:
Yup, every serious competition shooter I know is switching to T/C right now. :grin: You betcha!

I think if you re-read the posts, you'll see this isn't about switching to TC or any brand of barrel. :shake:

It's about correcting the blanket misinformation being given out that 1:48" twists can't shoot round balls accurately.
:v

DCP_3528.jpg

50cal.1in48" Lyman trade gun. It shoots ok. I guess it could be better. :grin:
Lehigh...

Latest posts

Back