• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

just how accurate should a 1in48 twist be

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3pointBlackPowderBuck002.jpg

I know this isn't a flintlock but neither is this thread.This little fella died of a one shot group right in the neck :blah:
I not sure weather he knew it was 1:48 or 1:66! :confused:

Mike2005 said:
I think the bad rap these barrels get comes mainly from inexperience. Many of these rifles, TCs and Cabellas Hawkens, are bought by first timers as a first kit or off the shelf. When they shoot them they just throw in what seems like a nice load, some off the shelf patches and a some round ball.

Probably pretty close to the mark with this. When I bought my first rifle, .54 Renegade, many moons ago I just picked up a box of 530 ball and a pack of pre-lubed .015 patches because that's what the manual said. I finally found out that it wouldn't consistently hit a 12 by 12 target at 100 yards.

After fiddling around around with the combination I found out that .018 pillow ticking, spit patch and cut at the muzzle with a 535 ball would shoot a whole lot better.

Muzzle loading is more art than science, which is why a lot of us find it so fascinating.

Latest posts

Back