• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kaido 255 grain conical / Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Miller

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Very pleased with the Kaido 255 grain mold purchase. I sent a money order and had molds for casting a week later. Considering that was coast to coast postal service, it wasn't bad at all. The molds cast six at a time, never done that many with my little solder pot on a propane single stove, but it worked out well. I cleaned the molds and sooted em good with a piece of ignited pitch. Dropped the first three batches back into the pot and started water quinching each drop. Only took a light tap. First range session, had a few kinks. First thing I noticed was how easy the bullet was to seat straight in comparison with the 200 R.E.A.L. bullets I had previously shot. The Kaido's fall 1/3 way into cylinder, seat straight and leave a pretty little lead circle trimmed at chamber face. Significant difference in resistance when fired. You know you've stepped up the power game immediately. My first groups quite frankly sucked. A little humble pie for range master pistol whiz. My new front sight was not gathering light well do my poor design work. fortunately it was just tall enough as the 255 shot several inches higher than REAL, which shot high to begin with. I bottomed out the rear site and it was on. Second range day went much better. I filed the site angle very similar to original Ruger with a steeper slant in patridge style. Someone on this forum told be to slant it fully away just for that reason, but I got creative. Now I could see what I was doing. Got a solid bench and used my range box to get real comfortable. Started printing 2.5 to 3 inch groups of six at 25 yards with 30 fffg Swiss. Started with 32 gr and this was all I could compress and soon fouling and a sticking cylinder caused me to drop it back. I suspect about 28 gr. with minor compression would yield a fine close range deer and hog thumper. I finished with a standing, unsupported 25 group that was looking like a nice little five or six in circle until I dropped one low left in anticipation of recoil. The Old Army grip is too small for my large hand extending the index pad further across the trigger (almost hooking) and the factory trigger needs to be tuned up. I believe it will be a shooter when I get used to it and build some muscle memory. Anyway kind of a range report and update on my new toy. Shout out to Kaido for the swift service, followup calls and not getting upset when I blamed day one on his bullet. The 255 requires no modification of the loading port in an Old Army. The 220 and 240 were too long for my second generation Colt 1860. I considering buying one of those cylinder presses anyway and will open it up if I decide to use it as a hog gun.

The Old Army and the Kaido bullet will be a hard-hitting combination. I think you have a winning combination for hunting there - all good material to work with.

Yeah, I need to get my 60 shooting again as well.
I always go to the target 58 for competition and occasionally the Ruger but almost never the tuned up 60.
I've kind of forgotten how well it shoots.
Since I rebuilt the 62 Police, it has been my favorite open frame gun and the 60 has been kind of ignored.

Yes Sir, I think so. Pretty happy.

I picked up the Colt 1860 years ago in a gun trade. I was going to start my B.P. pistol shooting with it last year, but then read where they all shoot high and need front site change and all that. Thought when I purchased ROA that would be non issue then of course I went conical route and immediately got into front site stuff. The 1860 is going to get shot, I'm tired of it sitting in the safe. It has to. It locks up like a bank vault, absolutely no wiggle. Much tighter than my Ruger and the Ruger ain't bad.Probably stick with ball in the Colt. We will see.

M.D. I owe you another thanks. When I fully slanted my front site to gather even light it made world of difference.

I had a 1862 Colt 2nd model back in my gun showing days. It sat on table for a year before I sold it. B.P. stuff back then was almost impossible to get rid of in that environment anyway. Man I wish I had that gun back now. Beautiful pointing little weapon. About as sexy as a revolver can be made.

Like Zonie once commented ( If I remember correctly) concerning the 62 Police, it's a little gun that sounds like a big gun or something to that effect.
I just like to hold and cycle it while watching DVD Western movies let alone shooting it at the range! :rotf:

Not sure I know what you are describing but I'll look at it. I've got an old set of pachmeyer rubber grip for Super Blackhawk maybe they would fit.

They're a long grip like the 1860 Army, in brass with a square back trigger guard. I've since forgotten what Ruger's part number was for them. A few years ago the grips alone fetched as much as a discounted Old Army and the aftermarket makes or made them too.

swathdiver
I'm getting a crash course education in Ruger grips. Saw quite a few mods posted on various forums back in the cowboy action rage days. Think Ill mix and match grips from what I can find laying around and see if any make significant difference. Thanks for the stimulus. It'll probably end up costing me some money though. Most of my bright ideas do.

Latest posts

Back