• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler fowler - Has anyone shot round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On their website it mentions 16 gauge specifically is not recommended for round ball shooting. He echoes this in one of his recent videos. He also reiterates that these are fowling pieces and are really meant to be used with shot for birding, not for use as a round ball gun.

i have one in 20ga, i tried RB in it. i shot some .570 patched tight. at 50yds off the bench with 65gr. of 2f it shot hand sized groups at point of aim, really good. i then tried .600 RB patched tight it was twice that size, so the .570 balls did better. but that is as far as i went, but it showed good results.

I have a few 16Ga. fowling guns, thought not Kiblers, they all shoot a round ball just fine.
Robin

As i am sure you realize, this fowler only has a front sight. Your posture and sight picture will vary. Some may have better results than others.
I shot a new to me 16 gauge at 100 yards hitting a hanging steel target , reloaded two more times , second shooter hit but third missed. Three people two hits .
I wouldn’t recommend shooting deer at this distance without lots of practice.

A ball on top of a moderate charge of powder in 28-12 had more than enough power to drop any American game short of griz at a hundred yards. However I don’t believe any smoothie should be used that far.
Not a power issue but grouping.
I can hit a chest every shot at fifty yards. I miss a man sized target one shot in five.

I wonder if a rear sight might be added? I think I couldn't want one without some sort of rear sight. I haven't look close at the kit, not enough to know if it is even viable.

Kibler’s Fowler utilizes a very thin wall on the 16 gauge.
Kibler’s wall on the 16g is no thinner that a larger caliber Bess, and they shoot rbs just fine.
I shoot rbs from my 10g New England Fowler more than shot because I don’t hunt anymore. I don’t think Jim would sell a Fowler that would be dangerous if someone shot a rb from it. Just my humble opinion that no one asked for.

I don't know the thickness of the Kibler 16 gage barrel but this is a North Star Tradegun from the late 70's 12 gage. The barrel thickness is .046. I have shot many a round ball through this gun without incident.
Screenshot_20240810-094550~2.png

Using modern steel I don’t think any barrel thickness Kibler might use will have any safety issues at all.

It’s black powder, not Red Dot.

Barrel stiffness however plays a big role in accuracy, longer barrels even more so. I have a smooth rifle that is full length bedded and it shoots amazingly well. I absolutely recommend doing that to any gun you want best accuracy from.

Back