• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Learning Gunbuilding Skills

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Price

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I realize this subject has likely been "beat to death" here more than once, so please bear with me. I'm not in a hurry and would like to learn how to scratch build a quality rifle from a Track "kit" or other list of parts.

Do any rifle builders offer any 1-2 week "apprentice training" ? Are there good books available that would "hold my hand" while I build a rifle ? Building Muzzleloading Rifles for Dummies ?

Regards, Vic

I reckon this is a good place to start asking.

Regards, Vic

I would start by buying a couple of books. Like Dixons book and Peter Alexanders book The Gunsmith of Grenville county you should be able to buy from Track of the Wolf . Take your time and read through these books look over the drawing's and pic's .

Vic,

You might also investigate the rifle building seminars that are put on at Conner Prairie near Noblesville, Indiana. They have quality teachers and it is a lot cheaper and closer to you than the NMLRA seminar at Western Kentucky University. I believe Mike Brooks is a teacher at Conner Prairie Seminar as well as Jim Chambers, Hershal House and other quality builders.

Randy Hedden

Personally I haven't used them, but there're videos and DVD's out there, through the muzzleloading magazines. I think Homer Dangler has one, as does Pete Alexander, Keith Casteel has a video out about engraving, Wallace Gustler has a video out about carving. Jim Chambers offers a DVD for building his kits. Also check out this web page[url] http://technicalvideorental.com/rental_75.html[/url]
Good luck ...........George F.
P.S. can't spell very well (good ? )

Last edited by a moderator:
rich pierce said:
Jim Chambers is going to teach a course on assembling one of his kits in June in western Kentucky. Check the latest MUzzle Blasts.

Rich,
Jim's class is not actually about assembling a kit. He will not be using a preturned/preinlet stock. See the class description:

English Sporting Rifle ”” Jim Chambers

New for 2006””Students in this class will start with an English walnut stock blank that has had the swamped barrel inlet and the ramrod hole drilled. Following the design of a mid-eighteenth century rifle by William Turvey students will fit the butt piece, shape the stock, inlet the lock, sideplate, ramrod pipes, and guard. Basic gun making skills such as filing, rasping and inletting will be helpful in making maximum progress in this class. A finished rifle will be available for reference.

The tomahawk class being taught by Jack Brooks is really intended for novices because all of the skills used to make a tomahawk can also be applied to making a rifle:

Pipe Tomahawk ”” Jack Brooks

Jack will make a pattern and have custom steel heads cast for a pipe tomahawk based on one plowed up on a farm along the Cumberland Trace just minutes from the seminar site in Bowling Green. Finishing the tomahawk will give students an opportunity to learn and practice many skills fundamental to riflemaking such as filing, polishing, engraving, metal in metal inlay, wood scraping, inlay in wood, staining and finishing. Most students will, hopefully, leave the class with a finished tomahawk. Class limited to eight.

For those folks in Eastern PA or Western NJ, the Jacobsburg Historical Society has gun building and finishing classes. They are located at Bolton PA (about 10 miles or so north of Easton PA) at the old Henry gunworks.
Jacobsburg Gunsmithing Program

Good and very knowledgeable bunch of folks

Tony

Thanks for that info Tony. You guys over there in PA are very fortunate to have resources like this. It would be nice if I can find something along these lines over here.

Regards, Vic

Here's a link to the one I teach at Conner Prairie. We assemble either Jim Chambers kits , Jim Klien's Or My Kits. You can expect to have your kit assembled for the most part and ready to take home and assemble. Unless you're a duffer and waste your time during the day. :winking:
>>>CONNER PRAIRIE CLASS

Mike,

I checked out the website and it looks like a gun building class is the 5-day offering. I see you are from Iowa, but must travel to Indiana to teach this class when it is held. I'll have to check the "atlas" to see where Fishers, IN is. I grew up in Terre Haute and at age twelve - we moved to Wisconsin.

When is the next class - if scheduled ?

Regards, Vic

It'll be the second week of october 2006. Fishers is a northern suburb of Indy. Get signed up fairly early, the class often sells out.

I'd sure like to take this class and build the Chamber's New England Fowler/Militia Musket. I love finishing guns but I lack some of the basic skills for assembling these kits. I guess that just boils down to, I don't have the stones to have a go at it by myself.

Greetings TraderVic,

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association sponsors courses in gun building and related work each year. These courses are taught by the acknowledged Master of the Trade, but are open only to members of the NMLRA. The list of courses being offered and their teachers for this year are listed in the January, 2006 issue of MUZZLE BLAST.

Join the NMLRA now and register for the course you are interested in.

Just one more reason to be a member of the NATIONAL MUZZLE LOADING RIFLE ASSOCIATION.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

If you can't do something like Conner Prairie, you might find somebody in your neck of the woods who builds guns and ask if he could teach you.

BLAHMAN said:
If you can't do something like Conner Prairie, you might find somebody in your neck of the woods who builds guns and ask if he could teach you.

Anybody know of these kinds of classes that are avail down Texas way, and where? :cursing:

dAVY

JOHN L. HINNANT said:
Greetings TraderVic,

The National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association sponsors courses ... but are open only to members of the NMLRA. The list of courses being offered and their teachers for this year are listed in the January, 2006 issue of MUZZLE BLAST...

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Actually, while I agree 110% about supporting the NMLRA, membership is not required to attend the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar.

Several years ago they made non-members pay a bit more for the seminar but that policy has been dropped because it applied to so few people that keeping the paperwork was more trouble than the small amount of revenue collected.

Some folks who don't like the NMLRA's position on inlines, etc. may still want to attend the seminar.

Back