• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee “rifling engraved at loading” bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of late I've found the 50 cal TC ? bullet exellent & for my 58 barrels that short Lyman flat truncated nose & hollow base seems to get good shooting I've mostly shot RB but happy to try alternates . where applicable .
Rudyard

I have the Lee REAL mold in .45 200 gr the .50 in the 320 gr & the .54 in 300 gr. I found as said a dry wool wad helps seal base of conical. I also have learned threw the years that REALs do not take kindly of large powder charges.

Last edited:
Bought the molds and tried the REAL bullets in .50 and .54 calibers. Never got good accuracy; gave the molds away and went back to patched round balls.

I've tried them in both .50 and .54 TCs. Not all that impressed with the accuracy.

Accuracy & i know most will say moa at a hundred yards. HAHA i dare say 95% will be glad to get 5 shots in an 6" bull at that range unsupported. So lets go to the real deal, i have found depending on load combo that you can get 3" -4" groups off the table/bench with the REAL's. Certainly will be in the vitals for deer/hogs/bears.

I have them in .45, .50 and .54 caliber. I have used them extensively especially in .45 caliber. I started using them in the early ‘80’s after I read a review of them in Guns & Ammo magazine by Phil Spangenberger. In the article he suggested for slow twist rifles to use the lower of the two available weights regardless of caliber. That’s what I do and I believe this to be good advice for the best accuracy. Along with a cushion wad of sort type over the powder.

I have several REAL molds, probably all of them as a matter of fact. That said, I have not tried them all extensively but have had good results with the ones I did try to work up loads for. I suggest trying the felt wads (lubed and unlubed), tumble (alox) lube, and smearing your lube of choice on them at the muzzle. Frankly, all seem to shoot about as well as I can and minute-of-deer groups at any distance I have any business shooting iron sights at.

I have a .58 cal hawken 1x48 twist and after using patched RBs which were pretty good I saw the mold for a REAL bullet got it and it worked great. no more patches or ball starter. REAL easy to load a good payload. like another guy said about fingering lube I do that with crisco no felt wad used

Back