• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long barrel vs shorter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You find rifles with barrels that are swamped, tapered, octagon to round, round and listed as just octagon.

Also notice how many guns were 1" or more ATF but smaller calibers and still longer barreled. Had to be pretty heavy!

Everyday life back then was far more physical than now. When the weather gets cold I just touch the thermostat. Back then you brought in enough wood to keep warm. Many had to carry all the water they used. A farmer may have had to walk behind his horse drawn plow.

That's just a few of the things that they did on a daily basis that we don't have to do. Carrying a 10 or 12 pound gun wasn't an inconvenience for them.

In this day and age only a small percentage of the population engages in physical training regimens that keep them in as good of condition as our Colonial forbearers did just with their daily routine.

Also notice how many guns were 1" or more ATF but smaller calibers and still longer barreled. Had to be pretty heavy!

Everyday life back then was far more physical than now. When the weather gets cold I just touch the thermostat. Back then you brought in enough wood to keep warm. Many had to carry all the water they used. A farmer may have had to walk behind his horse drawn plow.

That's just a few of the things that they did on a daily basis that we don't have to do. Carrying a 10 or 12 pound gun wasn't an inconvenience for them.

In this day and age only a small percentage of the population engages in physical training regimens that keep them in as good of condition as our Colonial forbearers did just with their daily routine.
I live about a mile from The Lincoln Birthplace National Park. It was one of the more desirable farms in the area because it has a spring which provides a reliable water supply. If you take a standard 2 1/2 gallon bucket it would probably take at least a half hour or more to fill it from this reliable water source. Lincoln's father lost the farm in a lawsuit over the ownership dispute

I have made at least a half dozen of that exact gun over the past decade. Lots of crazy people out there!:eek:

That's odd. I have a gun I made here that holds an NMLRA national record since 1999. It has a 44" barrel.
Also , the most accurate gun I have ever shot was a .40 with and oct/rnd 46" barrel. 50 and 4X at 25 yards off hand.
I was wondering where such data existed for the statement you addressed. Interesting post, thanks.

I was wondering where such data existed for the statement you addressed. Interesting post, thanks.
What data are you looking for? The national record?
I have the target in my shop, here's a picture of it. I also have the gun here as well.

Attachments

• 20230202_102724.jpg
    20230202_102724.jpg
    480.9 KB

I agree with you, a rough physical life builds more grit and better overall useable strength than a gym workout over limited periods of time. They were tough or didn’t make it. Also probably learned to shoot a bit more deliberately and quicker, and not hold for long periods of time. I’m speculating of course.

But I do believe in my statement regarding physical fitness. When I was young, I was gym strong. Picking up hay bales all day kicked my tail, just as much as it did those go to the gym.

Back