• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman gpr for rendevouz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first post here so let me start by saying what a great sight you all have here. I was into rendevouzs alot when i was young, but got married had kids and you no. I sold my custom flinter and all my gear, but thinking about takeing my 12 year old son to a few local shoots this year. I gave my son my springfield hawkin 50. its a great shooter, and he loves it. I was thinking of a lyman great plains rifle 54. in a flintlock, how many guys use them at shoots? and how do they hold up? im currently unemployed and getting ready to back to college to change careers, so money is an object. I would love another custom but its just not in the cards right now. I think i have enough stuff around to sell or trade for a used gpr what do you all think? thanks denny

I don't think you can find a better production gun with the quality and level of authenticity as the LGP,it is questionable if a plains rifle of that style would have been made in flint but they are pretty well accepeted in cap or flint at all but the tightest events I would think.I would go with flint if that is what you want and you will be as close as 99% of the rest of the party.

Welcome to the Forum!
You couldn't find a better rifle than the Lyman GPR.
It might be handy to have the same caliber as your son's hawkin.
Especially if you cast your own lead balls.
Buying store bought balls can get a little expensive.
Best Regards
Old Ford

good point old ford, i think i have a .490 mold and lead furnace in the garage.

As a newbee myself I feel qualified to answer this one. Ahhhh, I think you need to give us more info as to what make, caliber, etc. LOL., MAC.

Well slap me stupid and excuse my lack of manners. Welcome to the MLF. There are a great bunch of knowledgable and helpful people here. One of these days I'll be answering with great tips, and tricks of the trade instead of asking. It felt good, that bit of a moment in the limelite, didn't make much sense but good. Way too early, need more coffee. Mac.

I have 2 GPR's, both .54's, one flint and one cap. I won't say they're the best rifle ever made - a good custom made rifle just can't be beat, and I really like my T/C's also - but they are very nice, and for the price I've never found better. Best prices I've seen are from Midsouth Shooter's Supply.

You will love the Lyman GPR. They are fantastic shooters and are the closest to period correct for a production gun. You will see lots of them on the firing line and the owners all rave about them, me too!

Howdy Denny, Welcome to the forum.

With very few exceptions, you won't have a problem bringing a GPR to any of the shooting 'vous here in Michigan. All I have been to will welcome you as long as you're shooting PRB. Lot's of events here with most being May thru Oct. You can find the state shoot schedule at www.msmla.org (Their server is down right now, but should be up later). Where are you located in our state? If I can help you in any way getting started again, give me a shout.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
i shoot mine at rondy's in california no problem! love the .50cal GPR in flint! great gun, had mine a year now and put 400+rounds through it! its a rugged gun!
gpr002-1-1.jpg

welcome to the MLF! My best bud shoots a .54 GPR flint, has a tipi, and wears fully beaded buckskins, I do the Eastern thang. We never been turned away from a shoot because he shoots a GPR, but then again, we're careful to NOT attend juried shows. Some folks like to be all out authentic as possible and thats OK if thats what you're into. We're not.We like to shoot and be as authentic as we can afford to be without taking the fun out of it. :2

Welcome to the forum. Like mykeal, I have two .54 GPRs, one flint and one cap. I have used them in several matches with no problems. As much as I love a .54 caliber, Old Ford has a great idea. To keep cost down, go with a .50 cal. like your son's. You may look at the GPR kits. I built my .54 GPR flinter from a kit. They are fairly easy to assemble and go together rather fast. Check the auction sites like Gun Broker and Auction Arms for a used one. If things get real tight, you might consider a Lyman .50 Trade Rifle flint. Just a thought. Good luck and let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

I agree with the others. Mine is a caplock in 50 but with 50gr fffg 490 ball, .018 patch it'll shoot into 1" at 50yds benched. Offhand your mileage may vary! Karwelis, that blueing on your flinter is excellant did you do that or have it done?

cmdrted said:
I agree with the others. Mine is a caplock in 50 but with 50gr fffg 490 ball, .018 patch it'll shoot into 1" at 50yds benched. Offhand your mileage may vary! Karwelis, that blueing on your flinter is excellant did you do that or have it done?
thank you for the complement! i did it my self, its a viniger finish, it wasnt hard to do, and is tough as nails!

Latest posts

Back