• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains .54 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not that you're stupid Zonie. It's just that he's really, really, really smart. If your nipple port needs retappin', you won't need to retap it if you use CCI caps--or anyhow that's how I read it. Who knew? Due to the quaint semi-Jed Clampett English I could be wrong. Or merely stupid. Shucks. Gol durnit and whee doggies too!!!! :rotf: :v

I shot it again today, and I'm looking at >10 inch 3 shot groups at 50 yards. It's still shredding my patches to pieces (I did have pillow ticking patches this time). I've probably fired 25 rounds through it, so I'm no where near 100 yet. I was wondering if shooting some conicals through it would speed the process of smoothing out the riflings? I will try the steel wool trick, but there has to be something easier, and cheaper than shooting it 100 times. It's not that much fun shooting when you can't hit where you're aiming.

It'll get better. It just won't be finished until you get the three digit number.

Black powder is about a time when the term 'instant gratification' had no meaning. It takes patience.

While it's shredding patches, you might want to consider using something under the patched ball to seal the gasses behind it. Lots of things work - a wad (.54" = 28ga), a fat pinch of hornet's or paper-wasp nest material, some corn meal, another patch (run down before the patched ball so it doesn't jam), etc. This will at least eliminate gas cutting and related problems until the bore smooths up.

Joel

Green Mountin did it to there rifles barrels and installed a hele coil with the right threads and use the same nipple :surrender:

Nimrd

Hntr79 said:
I shot it again today, and I'm looking at >10 inch 3 shot groups at 50 yards. It's still shredding my patches to pieces (I did have pillow ticking patches this time). I've probably fired 25 rounds through it, so I'm no where near 100 yet. I was wondering if shooting some conicals through it would speed the process of smoothing out the riflings? I will try the steel wool trick, but there has to be something easier, and cheaper than shooting it 100 times. It's not that much fun shooting when you can't hit where you're aiming.
This must be frustrating but rest assured that when the barrel is shot in you will know it. I don't think shooting conicals will speed things along but you might try reducing your powder charge to 60 or so grains so you can get in a few more shots and not be so hard on your shoulder. Use the time to practice your loading procedure and shooting technique.
Good luck.

I note that no one has made mention of the silly little sub caliber chamber the .54cal GPR has. What a PITA to clean. I am baby sitting a .54 GPR for a mate from overseas and I shot it once and put it away. I don't like that chamber idea.

Latest posts

Back