• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Michigan winter trek and camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Enjoyed the Pics,thanks.Was it warm in the shelter?Griz

P1220055.jpg

Looks like a great time among good friends!

Well, Griz...it was warmer than outside (which was probably 15 degrees), but still pretty cold. A little smoky, too.

Looks very cool. As cozy as that fire looks I'm not sure I'd make it through the night without a lot of complaining, never did much winter camping. The fella with the green capote looks like he used a surplus blanket to make it. I made a much cruder coat out of the same blanket, his looks much nicer.

Don

Don: this was the first time I had ever done winter camping, and it was an unforgettable experience! I plan on doing it again this winter, because as hard as it was, it will somehow draw you to repeat it. I was with my club group, the Etoile du Nord, and I got a lot of help with logistics, clothing, etc. We try to re-enact the FI War period, but I will say that when it comes to temps in the teens + guys in their 50's and 60's a little "controlled cheating" goes on. For example, everybody but me used a self inflating air mattress for a bit more comfort. The result of me not using one? I got three hours of sleep. But we try to use wool blankets, etc. as much as possible. It's all about layers, layers, layers! If anything modern is used it has to be HIDDEN from view. I know there are those who might find fault with this, but even with a few modern fabrics, winter camping is not an easy thing to do. You really find out what cold weather means in relation to existence and survival. It opens your eyes, I'll tell ya.

Is this an annual trip. Im a michigander and would like to find a group of folks to try this type of camping.

Yes! Now THERE are some memories! Thanks for posting. You're right, there's something about cold-weather camping that beats the rest.

Where is your camp? Don't want any secrets just kinda general area. Looks like ya had a time. Smokey eh? I bet you boys could tell where each was huntin by the aroma. Don't let too many folk know about your treck They'll try to make laws agin it. too much fun!!

Len: It was in the Cadillac, Michigan area, and on private land. We were lucky we had that much snow. There was a lot of warmer, rainy weather both before and after our time slot. If it had been raining, we would have scrubbed. If you look closely at our Iroguois longhouse-type dwelling, it would NOT have been rain-proof and would have leaked like a sieve.

Latest posts

Back