• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Ferguson Rifle in action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude, You do not have to worry about me, I do not have a dog in this fight. My post was to inform people about my years of field trials with my Ferguson Rifle. Not to get in a pi--ing contest
with somebody. The good ting about it.. I found out how to properly spell breech! :grin:

wow, this is an extraordinary piece of technology i defiantly love this rifle. A couple of questions if i may..

grzrob- what is the stock finish on your rifle. that black looking color is great, i am looking for a color like that.

What is the width of the barrel at the breach from touch hole to opposite side, also from top of breach opening to bottom of breach opening.

Looking at the construction of this rifle why did he(Ferguson) chose i think it is 11 threads for the breach screw?

once again just an amazing piece of technology. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

The threads used on the Fergusons breech plug (screw?) is called a "multiple thread".

Common screws have one thread that is wrapped around the centerline so if you look at the end of a bolt or screw you will see one place where the thread starts.
Multiple threads have more than one thread starting at the end of the bolt at one time.
There are "double threads", "triple threads", "quadruple threads" and so forth.

Because more than one thread is starting at the same time, each thread must move much faster up the body of the bolt to get out of the way of the other threads.
For instance, a double thread with two threads starting must move up the body twice as fast as a single thread would.
A quadruple thread must move up the body 4 times faster than a single thread would.

I don't know what thread size was used but if it was, lets say, a 8 threads per inch single thread size if you turned the bolt 8 times it would move an inch. If the same thread was a double thread the threads size would be the same but you would have to turn the bolt only 4 times to move it an inch.
If it were a "10 start" thread of the same thread size, moving it one full turn would move the bolt 1 1/4 inchs.

By using threads such as this, just turning the trigger guard about 1/2 turn will move the breech screw down so it is totally out of the way of the barrels breech.

Folks Tomorrow or Monday I will start another Ferguson Rifle post with new pictures. The barrel out of the stock, the BIG hole in the stock, the Ferguson bayonet ( A wicked thing indeed ) and perhaps my Flask. There are no examples of Ferguson's flasks for his riflemen. They were not issued but made by a private contractor. I based mine on military flasks from the 16th & 18th century. This thread is getting kind of long and drawn out so I will post anew!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: That one cool shot damn I am having a terrible time trying to down load pics here.. Any was as I said awesome picture cheers...
Just a loyalistDawg
:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back