• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kibler SMR Build Log

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one held up has a longer barrel. Surely you're aware the same make and model of a gun can be made in different barrel lengths? Duh....

( I'm glad I stimulated you to do some research ). Though .....

I suppose I don't dare post a pic of my Oswald rifle because it doesn't have the same scope he used .... sheesh
Didn’t need to do any research, already knew the trivia. If I were going to frame something and nail it to my wall, I would try match it with the exact model and options. So this means the NJSP photograph at the time had it wrong, correct? Kind like the caliber and number of ‘r’s in the name of the gun that poked a hole in old Abe not being relevant.

Back on topic, unique muzzle finishing detail.

...I would try match it with the exact model and options. ...
Well, OK, if you're going to quibble about 1.5 inches in barrel length, then I guess I'll give you the win on that argument.

... meanwhile, he's off to Gunbroker to see if there's one for sale with the exact correct barrel length ...

Is that a real picture of your muzzle? manure, we are being plunked.
Yes it is. Pretty bad, isn't it? Easy to get carried away. Trying to recitify one bad angle just produces another. That's why I recommended to first timers to not even try it. You have a suggestion, or you just here to criticize? Put up or shut up.

Ya know Wis, I cried for you seeing the crack in the stock. I’m just not sure of what emotion that muzzle evokes. Wow.
I really am trying to avoid this thread but I find it’s like being a moth drawn to a flame. Always regret looking, but after seeing the muzzle I think that’s it for me. Look to see me no more on this thread.

Ya know Wis, I cried for you seeing the crack in the stock. I’m just not sure of what emotion that muzzle evokes. Wow.

I really am trying to avoid this thread but I find it’s like being a moth drawn to a flame. Always regret looking, but after seeing the muzzle I think that’s it for me. Look to see me no more on this thread.

Oh, heavens, that's so easy to remedy. I feel so sorry for you guys, getting so emotional over a hunk of metal. Probably better your tender souls aren't here, anyway. I've recrowned muzzles before. The muzzle on this rifle has got a flat face and a very narrow 45-degree chamfered crown. Very simple design. I just ordered the right tools for the job from Brownells. Sorry you won't be here to see the result.

Last edited:
Build Log #37

Draw!!

I bought a new file today so I'd be well-prepared to draw file my barrel. It's a file labelled as "single-cut" "medium finish" "metal removal" - aka a "mill file".

There are any number of excellent videos on draw filing. The best Kibler video is NOT in the SMR playlist on YouTube, it's actually in the Colonial rife playlist. That's an excellent video on draw filing.

To help me make sure my flat is actually flat, I mount it with reference to a bubble level:
View attachment 241343

These are some of the mill marks I want to make disappear:
View attachment 241344

Using the techniques outlined in the videos, they do disappear:
View attachment 241345

... leaving these curious metal shavings:
View attachment 241346
... which are proof of material being filed off.

I find it's helpful to put some marks along the flat to be filed:
View attachment 241347
... so I know if I'm filing flat or not.

Oops, not:
View attachment 241348
... so ... adjust hold pressure!!

Actually, this process is pretty easy and simple. Hard for even me to screw up. Nothing any first-timer should be intimidated by. Just have a sharp file and use good techniques as shown in the videos. Five minutes per flat may be a little optimistic, but not by much.

My only problem arose when I tried to bevel the muzzle, as Kibler does in his video, and as I've seen on some completed rifles. I found it was very, very difficult to file eight bevels of equal angle and equal depth, and eventually gave up and sort of rounded it off as best I could:
View attachment 241349

Not very happy with that, so I'd recommend to other first-timers to just leave the muzzle flat. It already looks just fine that way.

Meanwhile, any good ideas on how to remedy that / disguise that / just leave it alone are welcomed. But I just had to leave you guys with at least one little thing to jump on, no?
IMG_0654.jpeg

Leave it ALONE...YOU are the only one that has to like it,, You'll be able to easily pick it out of a full rack at a SHOOT. I finished a 45 kentucky once with a browned barrel and unstained Beech stock. It looked like a SWEDISH VIRGIN that just stepped off the boat...LOTS of Positive comments at the shoots,,,The Negetive comments were EATEN at the firing line..Some of them boys had a hard time swallowing.......Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally

I’m with TDM. I had some sympathy for this guy but he’s getting more and more on my nerves with his attitude. I’m done with this.

Like the country song says " I'm moving on ".
Now you know why people don't like to give advice !
Your insults and rudeness is childish.
For someone who one minute claims expertise. Then makes the dumbest of mistakes. I have lost what your trying to do. Besides insult very gifted people !

Interesting how someone who has “recrowned muzzles before” can’t place a tiny chamfer on an octagon muzzle.
It was a round barrel. And I only redid the crown. The barrel didn't need any work. That's a whole world of difference. Well, by eight times anyway. You're entirely free to post a pic of where you free-hand filed eight equally-angled, equal-depth and equal-spaced chamfers.

Last edited:
The only cure for that is to shorten the barrel a bit and square it back up.
That's the current plan. I ordered some tools to do the job right. I'd only need to take off 3/16 in. Actually, if you look at it from a normal distance, it doesn't look all that bad. If I could even it up a little it might even look like it's supposed to be that way:
IMG_3525.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back