• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My paper patched bullets in a Lyman Great Plains Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://oldfoxtraders.com/TnMolds/

George makes molds and also sizer dies. I don't own either yet......got 3 sizer dies in the mail for my .45 long range ML.

For you .54, you can slug the barrel and see what fits, take a tighter bullet, push it in and mic it. Depends on you paper, but mine is .0175. I do 2 almost complete wraps, so take your paper thickness times 2.

With a PP you have to have fairly clean bore, or loose bullet or you will strip the paper.

Fleener

Last edited by a moderator:
fleener said:
http://oldfoxtraders.com/TnMolds/

George makes molds and also sizer dies. I don't own either yet......got 3 sizer dies in the mail for my .45 long range ML.

For you .54, you can slug the barrel and see what fits, take a tighter bullet, push it in and mic it. Depends on you paper, but mine is .0175. I do 2 almost complete wraps, so take your paper thickness times 2.

With a PP you have to have fairly clean bore, or loose bullet or you will strip the paper.

Fleener

Oh no you don't. You can't mention a long range 45 and not give some info :nono:
Lets here what you got and what are your plans for a load? If you want to start a new thread that would be great. Ron

Are sure about that paper thickness? Two wraps, would be 4 times .0175, which is .070. That's over 1/16 of paper. One wrap would give you,.0175 on each side, and that would be .035. Onion skin paper is about .0025, I think. Two and a half thousandths, wrapped twice, would be .010.

Do you know what 9# onion skin paper mics. And can you buy it at office supply stores, like Staples, etc.

Ron,
Where did you get the sizer for those bullets? What do you do to insure each bullet gets started straight? Thanks for providing some much great info.

back in the olden days when we first started playing with the idea of paper-patched bullets, I got the brain storm of using bank note paper since it's one of the strongest papers made. In a flash of brilliance(read: idiocy)I called BATF to ask where I could get some and why I was asking. Some agent very politely listened to me clever theory and chuckled before he very politely told me to bugger off! Wonder why? :wink: :haha:

He did tell me that if I really wanted that kind of paper, to go to the Port Authority or possibly INS and see where I could cash a $50 into Italian lira or French francs...big notes, low value. Never followed through, some other daft idea got my attention and off I went on some other tangent! May have been when I decided that since we had a bunch of pictures of the then current jet fighters of the Navy and Air Force, some good photos from the Soviet Union would be a 'cool' idea. "Dear Comrade Ambassador, please send 8"X10" glossy of your latest jets!" So I called the FBI to ask how to do it and not go to Leavenworth or having my clearance go from 'secret' to 'remedial'! Another polite who laughed!!

Could have just called the Treasury Dept. They would have just said "Yeah sure! Just tell us where you live and we will have our sales rep run some over to you!" :haha:

After reading through this thread a couple of times, I went searching for #9 onion skin paper. I can report that the staff at Staples in Vero Beach, FL looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for it. :shake: In an effort to be helpful, they asked what I was needing to do...I suspect they wanted to offer a possible alternative...When I told them I want to use it to wrap bullets....well, I got out of there before SWAT arrived.
Still looking.

One question for Ron...
I see the twisted tail, which you point out can be pushed up into the hollow base if one is shooting that design. What do you do with it if you're shooting a flat-base bullet..???
I'm thinking about wrapping some T/C Maxi-Balls, just below the front driving band. I'd like to see if the increased diameter of the remaining bearing surface will get me some kind of "group" out of my Hawken bbl.
Thoughts...???

hadden west said:
Are sure about that paper thickness? Two wraps, would be 4 times .0175, which is .070. That's over 1/16 of paper. One wrap would give you,.0175 on each side, and that would be .035. Onion skin paper is about .0025, I think. Two and a half thousandths, wrapped twice, would be .010.

The paper I am using measures .0010 for the 25% cotton and the wood pulp 9# onion skin is .0015
Ron

Don Steele said:
After reading through this thread a couple of times, I went searching for #9 onion skin paper. I can report that the staff at Staples in Vero Beach, FL looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for it. :shake: In an effort to be helpful, they asked what I was needing to do...I suspect they wanted to offer a possible alternative...When I told them I want to use it to wrap bullets....well, I got out of there before SWAT arrived.
Still looking.

One question for Ron...
I see the twisted tail, which you point out can be pushed up into the hollow base if one is shooting that design. What do you do with it if you're shooting a flat-base bullet..???
I'm thinking about wrapping some T/C Maxi-Balls, just below the front driving band. I'd like to see if the increased diameter of the remaining bearing surface will get me some kind of "group" out of my Hawken bbl.
Thoughts...???

Here is the link to the 9# onion skin. It is wood pulp onion skin. I have friends that use it with good luck. The groups from the first of this thread is this paper.
http://www.thepapermillstore.com/p...-2-x-11-in-9-lb-bond-smooth-500-per-ream.html

On the twisted tail. On flat base bullets I just tuck it under and the sizer presses it to the bottom of the bullet.

On your maxi's I am not sure. I know I would not want any lead showing that comes in contact with the barrel. If you don't size them your going to be too tight to get them down I think. Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the thickness issue.....

My paper is around .00175 and the bullets are .443, finished bullet is .45

Last I knew, Lee is not currently taking orders for custom made sizing dies.

For one rife I need to size to .449 and the other to .448. hopefully my sizing dies will be here in a day or two.

Buffalo arms carries paper, I am told it is .002"
I know for a fact that Buffalo arms paper is a really good paper.

A few weeks ago I checked on the paper from Staples. You can order it online, or have the store order it for you. Don't know what it measures. I have been playing around with parchment paper, brand name "beyond gourmet" It does show some promise as a good bullet wrap paper.

A buddy has had great success with Eaton air mail paper, but it is no longer made and really hard to find.

I did find a box of it on ebay and bought it.

This is a picture of a flat base bullet, you simply dont use as much paper. For hunting you will have to be more careful with the paper that it does not come undone.

This is a picture of my new PP bullet, next to a GG postell and traditional government bullet. Until I get my sizing dies, I am not really able to work up a load to see how it performs.

With a little luck I will be shooting the PPB at Oakridge TN next month and we will see how it works at 200, 300, 600 and 1,000 yards.

I have wanted to test the postell bullets in my 1-18 twist rifle. I kind of put that rifle on the back burner for a few years and haven't put any time into it. I was shooting 385 to 400 gr bullets in it with some success but I want to try something in the 500 or maybe bigger range. What rifle are you shooting? Ron

I am shooting a pete allen box lock action, a don brown rife and rigby reproduction. All custom made, all with badger barrels.

Fleener

Ron, Great article. You live in my fav hunting state. Lived there for over a decade and will return to hunt deer & upland game.
As to paper patch bullets... a good friend shot them exclusively in .375 cal. Used ??-brand wood%? paper. He shot very well but the paper took out his rifling in a few years. Do you know of such things? JJ32

Back