• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying This Heavy Behemoth!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The name is well-known - J Eggiman was a noted Buchsenmachermeister in Sumiswald - a municipality in the district of the Emmental administrative district in the canton of Bern, Switzerland."

I, too, had found that much with a google search. But I still don't know the era in which he worked. Just judging by the rifle style, I would guess after 1850.

Hello All,
Trying to figure out what this is, cannot find anything on it. Any leads would be greatly appreciated please. Pics should be sufficient.
Thank you.
As others have suggested, caliber, overall length and weight would be helpful in identifying. Also post clear photographs of any markings on the bottom side of the barrel.

Does anyone know what the winged protrusion is on the left side of the gun? My rifle has an empty hole in a slightly lower spot. No idea what it was for.
Looks to me that it holds the lock on ...

But otherwise, no, this is no hunting gun and not a bench gun at all, as those finger-grooved trigger guards were used - and are to this day! - on offhand Schuetzen target rifles.

Does anyone know what the winged protrusion is on the left side of the gun? My rifle has an empty hole in a slightly lower spot. No idea what it was for.
Yes. The wing is to easily remove the sidelock. I have one on my Swiss Jaeger

Attachments

• wing bolt.jpg
    wing bolt.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Another one for auction sale in Switzerland, starting price CHF 700.-

IMG_9633.jpeg

Here is a translation of the description:

"Sniper rifle, Berner-Stutzer, "Eggimann Sumiswald". Cal. 10.5mm, modified after Milbank-Amsler.

The original large-caliber Stutzer was fitted with a feed barrel and a bolt according to Milbank-Amsler.

LL= 82.5cm, heavy round barrel, with holder for a thrust bayonet on the right side. Varnished walnut stock, iron butt cap, brass trigger guard. Wooden ramrod. Lock plate and barrel are labeled "Eggimann".

Eggimann Jakob I, 1810-1837, is mentioned in the book Schweizer Waffenschmiede by Hugo Schneider, page 94.

Starting price: 700 CHF

Last edited:
FWIW:

'Sniper', (noun) "A concealed sharpshooter; one who shoots from a hidden place," from 1824, agent noun from snipe (v.). The birds were considered a challenging target for an expert shooter: "Snipe Shooting is a good trial of the gunner's skill, who often engages in this diversion, without the assistance of a dog of any kind; a steady pointer, however, is a good companion." [Sportsman's Calendar, London, December 1818]

'Snipe', (verb) "Shoot at (men) one by one at long range from a hidden place," 1773 (among British soldiers in India), in reference to hunting snipe as game, from snipe (n.). Compare sniper. The figurative use is by 1892. Related: Sniped; sniping.

No reason it couldn’t be used for target competition AND long range game shooting. It may have seen double duty.

Dieses Gewehr ist ein in den Alpen verbreitetes Schützengewehr.

It´s like other said an Schützenrifle not uncommon in the Alpregion.

Swiss Style 60 Rod Target Rifle. Pity the Front trigger is broken off at the trigger plate..
The one I recently sold was Belgian made by R.GHAYE with 9.6 mm (.376") bore also
came with front trigger broken. The use of the slender front trigger with its very find
set is an art in itself. The index finger is free for the trigger, other 3 fingers fit in the guard.
Many of these rifles had a post standing up from the guard just behind the wire front
trigger as a finger rest to allow the Set to be VERY fine. Weighed in at 10.5 Lbds AND
would drive Tacks at 100 mtrs. with 40 grns of Swiss No.2 and a .375 ball with .007"
patch..Should never have sold it but it did go to a good home. I will try to find some
Photo's to better show it's style,though I think there are some already somewere on
the FORUM..OLD DOG..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back