• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Needles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint64

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm trying to make my first hunting bag and I am using the T C Albert book as a guide. In it he states he uses 0 size harness needles with waxed line thread to stitch with.

I am also using 0 size harness needles with waxed linen thread (Tandy items) however most every time I thread the needle not all of the strands of thread make it through the eye. This causes a knot behind the needle eye.

Any suggestions from some experienced leather workers? Am I using the right size needle?
Thanks

I apply additional bee's wax to the thread and use a razor sharp knife to cut the thread. Place the thread on a piece of wood and cut on a diagonal with the knife. Pull the cut end through your finger tips to create a flat point.
Mike

You can also lay the cut end on a solid surface and use a snall knife blade in a scraping motion to thin down the cut end so it will thread the eye easier. As you scrape you will see that you are removing some of the thread fiber(s) and you only have to scrape about an inch or so back from the cut end. Then wax if you'd like.However,this method is meant to be done with unwaxed thread.There is also another method where the needle is passed back through the middle of an divided section of thread and pulled snug which locks everything together creating a pretty smooth pass through in the leather. :thumbsup:

That is the method referenced in the book..thread the needle then pass the needle back through the middle of the thread, then pull that back behind the eye area.

I guess with like most things it just takes practice. It just seemed like the needle eye was too small for that waxed thread.

Yeah, it takes a little fiddling like the others said. But with practice it sure gets easier. Of course, each of us is gonna do it a little different. I just cut mine at an angle with my shears, then bite the tip to flatten it a little.

BTW- I've always bought my needles from Tandy, and their eye is longer than it is wide, so it's a bit easier to thread than some I've seen. The WORST are glover's needles with their tiny eye.

When I first started to sew, I bought the stuff that Tandy sells. You have the right needles but the the thread they sell has too many strands. You will have to unravel at least one strand to get it thru the eye. There are better places to buy your thread in that you can get thread with fewer strands and alot cheaper. I sure hopes all this makes sence...JZ

I use the same thread and needles. Sometimes I get it through first try and sometimes I have to fiddle with it. Can be frustrating at times but the thread will go even the 7 strand stuff I've used on the last few bags, now thats a pain in the arse but doable.

No, I started with Tandy stuff too, it will thread no problem. I stopped using it only because it's expensive compared to where I get my thread now.

flint64, from what your describing you might be better served with a smaller diameter thread.No point fighting this thing when it's not necessary. :surrender: For me the unwaxed thread is much easier to deal with and if your going to do any amount of this you may want to consider it.You'll probably have to mail order it,though.You'll need a cake of wax as well. I have both and would be more than happy to send you enough to get you through the pouch. No problem. :thumbsup:

Gentlemen thanks for all of the helpful advice. After a little practice I seem to be able to thread the needle pretty good now. I do think that ya'll are correct in the a different brand of thread would be helpful.
Feel free to send me a PM on alternative sources for waxed linen thread.

Also, is there any real advantages or disadvantages on how many stitches per inch that one uses in sewing leather?

I initially tried 7 per inch but that seems like overkill.....is it?

Swampy said:
No, I started with Tandy stuff too, it will thread no problem. I stopped using it only because it's expensive compared to where I get my thread now.

OK Swampy, so who are you getting supplies from and how bout a link?

Your quite welcome, the 4 ply is probably all you need for most things. I got some 7 ply was using it on multi-layer stuff. I usually back bear and Calf hides with Elk or sometimes deer hide with Barge cement to help strengthen it and I'm sure 4 ply would work with no problem also but I remembered I had a roll of of it here and decided to try it. It can be a @#%$ to get it threaded but it is doable.

I just noticed, like anyone else I guess their prices have gone up. Seems to me my last order which has been a while, the 4 ply was 7 bucks and change but still beats Tandys price for what you get from them.

Speaking of needles... years ago I was given a leatherwork needle with three blades on the tip of it, worked like a charm on any type of leather you could imagine. Wore out and snapped in half long before I dulled the blades. Been looking around lately, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Anybody happen to know what those are called or have seen one somewhere?

mcsteinscamp said:
a leatherwork needle with three blades on the tip of it,,,
Anybody happen to know what those are called or have seen one somewhere?

That would be the "Glovers" needle mentioned, they come in different sizes, fabric shops and sewing machine repair shop's usually have them.

I've had better luck useing an awl and small upholstery needles, it's slower but I get better control. The hole made with an awl will close again, once the leather is cut by a glovers or buckstitch chisel it can keep moving.

Yeah, they're glovers needles. I'm pretty sure both Tandy and Osborne have them. Can't remember where I got mine.

I will say this though, they have to be really sharp to work with no awl, and they won't do as thick or heavy leather as an awl. And I got inspired once and decided to try doing saddle stitch with a couple of them. Don't go there. Those sharp edges cut thread better than they cut leather.

I use mine for sewing deer and elk using any single-needle stitch. Pretty handy for all sorts of repairs, too. Just fuggedabout saddle stitch.

BrownBear said:
try doing saddle stitch with a couple of them. Don't go there. Those sharp edges cut thread better than they cut leather.

Oh Ya,,been there dun that! That'll frustrate ya,,kinda why I stopped useing'm.

Here's a blatant diversion of this thread, but I think it relates.

Sounds like most of us have "extra" needles and thread laying around. Here's an idea, since we're all leather workers:

I found some little wood needle cases at a craft shop. Not much bigger around than a pencil and about 3" long. I originally got them to carry spare charges for my 32 and 36 cals, but I finally got smart.

You can wrap half a yard or so of thread around a glovers needle or two regular needles and still get it all into the case. I've used mine more than once for repairs in the field- everything from clothing to hats to boots. And not just my own.

Nooooooooooooo. I aint never had one of my own seams come unraveled at the wrong moment!!!! :rotf:

Drop it into the bottom of a bag and you won't notice it till you need it. But when you need it, you really need it!!!!

Back