• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Dry Fire on my TC Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No disrespect az,,
I've never messed around with those clean out screws once there gone.
If you have one that functions then by all mean care for it with the normal cleaning routine and a little anti-seize,
, but if it's buggered beyond use or broken off there's no loss. :idunno:

Some people refer to that particular screw on the bolster as the "clean out" screw. In fact, it is not a clean out screw. It was not put there for any kind of cleaning. The reason it is there is that it is where the manufacturer drilled in to make the fire channel. Not all hook breach barrels have them because the drilling was done from the opposite side and then welded shut. On those barrels, you have to look closely to see where the hole was drilled. But, if the screw is able to be removed easily, it actually does make cleaning a bit easier in that you can run a pipe cleaner through it. But, if it is corroded in place, it is not worth the effort to remove it.

I didnt know that! TY. I have from day one removed, cleaned and greased all mine so they in good shape and do make adding a bit of powder for the inevitable a little easier!

Another thing to remember to do is once you have a load worked up, and powder patch ball seated, mark your ramrod.

If you think you might have dry balled, you can check to see if the mark is inside the muzzle, or flush where you marked it.

YES - I have done that - thank you.

Good to know on the side screw - I will just leave it.

Glad to hear you got her to fire. One thing to remember is not to use too much oil after cleaning. All that is needed is a very light coat of oil.
I didn't read every post, but I think it was mentioned to run a couple of 91% alcohol patches down the bore before you load her up.

Latest posts

Back