• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Toxic Prb Alternative - Solid Brass Ball Testing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ball has long ago turned to white powder but I did recover a ball from the off side of a deer (just under the hide) from my .54 that showed very plainly the patch weave on the back side.

It's odd that I've never experienced it.
As I posted, I've pulled them and also recovered them after being fired...nada.

I've always used .010" under bore size balls, .018-.022" patches...and stout powder charges that would have benefited the claim that obturation expands the ball into the rifling...but nada.

I'm not using mallet-tight combos, but the few times I've seen it were always with hot loads of 3f. Even hot loads of 2f have never shown it. I've never been curious enough to experiment, but I've always wondered if I could do it consistently with very tight combos and high-end 3f charges. Never seen it with CO2 discharged balls. Always wondered if my examples were the result of a little upset from the hot 3f loads that's not happening with 2f loads.

Idle speculation. Not interested enough to burn the powder or collect more balls.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought a law was recently passed that would prevent government laws against the use of lead for muzzleloaders. Am I wrong about that?

roundball said:
House blocks EPA from banning lead in ammunition

Said that the Federal EPA did not have the authority to ban lead from being manufactured in projectiles...nothing to do with States deciding to ban the use of lead whenever / where ever they choose.
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/04/17/house-blocks-epa-from-banning-lead-in-ammunition/

There has been talk of this at some of the wild life events,like Eagle Days, that are held in our area. One of the rangers is a hunter and she uses the solid copper bullets when she hunts...
I mentioned muzzleloaders and she said that she had not realized that we couldn't/didn't use the copper bullets.
Looking forward to your results roundball, this could be important... :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
More searching turned up a company who does make a .485" Brass Ball that should work OK in a .50cal...have an Email off to them about particulars now.

NOTE:
A .562" brass ball weighing 201grns compared to a .570" lead balls weighing 279, weighs 71% of the lead's weight.

Assuming that holds true, 71% of a .490"/175grn lead ball would be 124grns...meaning that the .485" brass ball used in a .50cal, would essentially be equivalent to the weight of a .45cal lead ball.

This could re-define the term "hardball" ammo...at least as it pertains to us muzzleloaders.:hmm:
:grin:

RANGE REPORT
.58cal Non-Toxic Brass Balls as PRB's in place of lead PRBs

EQUIPMENT
TVM Early Virginia
Rice 38" D-weight .58cal x 1:72" x .016" round bottom grooves;
Chambers Deluxe Siler / Davis DST;
Sights previously zeroed at 50yds for 100grn Goex 2F PRB deer load;

NON-TOXIC BRASS BALL TEST USING SAME SIGHTS / SAME SIGHT PICTURE
Goex 4F prime
Goex 2F main
.62cal Duro-Felt OP wad, lubed with NL1000
.028" Cotton Duck patch, lubed with NL1000
.5625" Solid Brass Ball from 'Online Metals'
Weight = 201 grains

TESTS CONDUCTED FROM BENCH REST
100grns Goex 2F = 1+1/4" ragged hole at 50yds...POI=dead center
MV=1367 fps

120grns Goex 2F = 2" group at 50yds...POI=1.5" above dead center
MV=1611 fps

FINDINGS / CONCLUSIONS
An outstanding non-toxic PRB substitute;
Zero loading and shooting problems;
Extremely accurate & consistent...easily as much, if not more so than lead balls;
Significant penetration, traveling through 21" of tightly packed / shredded rubber mulch;
Recovered balls showed zero damage what-so-ever;
Recovered balls had zero change in ball dimensions, verified with calipers;
Balls can be reused if captured in a medium like this to cut down costs;

I hope to get a deer with it this fall for some first hand field results.
But based on my experiences, I have no doubts this non-toxic PRB sub will get it done.

So if states continue to ban the use of lead projectiles in various hunting areas, know that at least one very viable alternative is readily available in the form of solid brass balls for the .58cal.
Considering that...AND the proven outstanding ragged hole accuracy for weekend practice shooting using penny apiece 9/16" marbles out of a .58cal...the changing hunters environment might now be more to think about when making a caliber selection for the future than we've had to do in the past.

In my own case, for continued weekend shooting practice/enjoyment and deer hunting, lead could be banned from the face of the earth tomorrow and I wouldn’t miss a beat with a .58cal on hand.

Well done. Wish they were a little less expensive though. Thanks again for your efforts. Now if I can get them for my .54 I'd be thrilled. :hmm:

That's great, now advocates of a lead ban can prove that we have a substitute that will work making it that much easier to push a ban through the political machine. I am sure lots of companies will jump on the bandwagon to produce much more expensive alternatives and will become good friends with the politicians. :thumbsup:

I mean no disrespect to your testing which was very interesting, but I find the whole subject distasteful to say the least.

Thanks Roundball, Thorough and easily understood! I would have been driven by burning curiosity to try at least a couple at one hundred yards, but I suspect you have a more disciplined mind than I. UM, did you? :grin:
Robby

Robby said:
Thanks Roundball, Thorough and easily understood! I would have been driven by burning curiosity to try at least a couple at one hundred yards, but I suspect you have a more disciplined mind than I. UM, did you? :grin:
Robby
I did not Robby...already had quite an agenda, and a truck load of gear and logistics to do all that I did just at 50yds...and was ready to pull out after a few hours from the heat & humidity anyway.

Learned a lot as it was, and particularly with the ability to catch and reuse these more expensive balls, other tests could be done for sure...I only lost 5 balls the whole morning.

But...I've gone to lengths to lay out all the details for anyone who wants to step up and continue their own testing from this point forward.

:grin:

Back