• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Toxic Prb Alternative - Solid Brass Ball Testing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt85 said:
i really like this test, thank you Roundball!
its nice to know that if i cant use a lead ball for any reason that i could use a brass ball as a backup.
i wonder about copper balls....
That would have been my first choice but I couldn't find one ready made in the right size...maybe some company will turn up after enough searching.
On the other hand, for deer hunting in my/most people's typical woods settings with 99% of he shots around 50yds, these should do fine if lead was not allowed for some reason.

Photo of recovered balls and patches...zero marks or dimension changes on any balls.

071212-1xBrassBallsPatches.jpg

In summary, I found the undertaking to be an extremely interesting project, not only learning and proving/disproving some things for myself, but identifying a readily available alternative to lead PRBs if that ever becomes an issue such as a "lead free hunting zone", a "lead ban", etc.

For me, the ragged hole accuracy of 9/16" solid marbles for practice, and .5625" brass balls for deer hunting...both out of my .58cal TVM Early Virginia...make the .58cal a complete performer to hang on to for a few more years.

And as with any/all tests I conduct, I share the information results as clearly as possible, at no charge to anyone.
The tests are what "I" did, with "my" equipment, "my" components, "my" supplies, my methods, "my" abilities.
There is 'no recommendation' that anyone do this...it is simply information for anyone to draw from or ignore as they fit.

:thumbsup:

:grin:

PS:
Just became aware of a guy who wants to hunt a new Flintlock in California's lead ban part of the state...was disappointed that he couldn't, but now after seeing the brass ball tests is all charged up at the possibility of being able to go after all.

If it turns out that he's able to do that, it really underscores the main benefit of forums like this...where members can pro-actively share / exchange technical information that somebody somewhere might be able to use.
Good feeling to be able to help someone solve a problem and overshadows having to put up with the handful of trolls / detractors along the way...

:wink:

If he does hunt it, I'd sure like to hear about the performance on the animal. You too if you get to kill something. BTW, nice work! :thumbsup:

I fired patched steel ball bearings from my 10 gauge cannon years ago. After about 5 shots, it was apparent that the back stop out at 125 yds was not stopping them. They could be heard riccocheting in the trees beyond for a couple seconds after the shot. With at least two shots we could hear three distinct "cracks" of the balls bouncing off trees.

I am indeed glad to hear the brass balls work.

Those steel ball bearings just skipped off the earthen back stop slope and continued on bouncing around for a bit. Hopefully, the brass won't represent the same safety problems.

I have known lead splatter to come back 20 yards. Hopefully brass won't extend that range in a dangerous manner.

cynthialee said:
I am thinking that those near .50 caliber ones would be worth looking into if you can get more information from the company you emailed.
The really good news is that Bal-Tec carries an unbelievable inventory of different size balls in several different metals that allows a selection to fit any caliber / gauge muzzleloader we might want to use them in...Copper, Brass, Steel, Tungsten, and so on.
The really bad news is I finally got a human being on the phone just now...and my fears about pricing I saw on their web site were verified.

I explained that I just bought a 20 pack of top quality solid brass balls for $11.88 from a company. But in search of another size, looking at Bal-Tec’s website it looks like 20 of the same identical ball would cost $362.00?
The reply was “that’s correct”.
Still in disbelief, I used another example...25 of your .484”s (for a .50cal) are $171.00?
And the reply was “that’s correct”.

I thanked them for their time and ended the conversation. I can’t fathom individual's paying such exorbitant prices...must be businesses that have some sort of super critical applications for them like in an artificial heart or something.
So at least for my budget, Bal-Tec is not viable.
http://www.precisionballs.com/standard_balls.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like super critical bearing components for things like electric turbines.

I remember once that a Chicago company that rebuilt water pumps ordered a load of bronze bearings and the quality control was off and a few of the balls were under size slightly. All those with the undersize balls ran for a few minutes before seizing and snapping the shaft. My mechanic client lost his arm to a flying fan as a result. Several other mechanics across the country suffered similar injuries. All because a few of the balls were a half a thousandth undersize. (Instead of rolling as necessary, they were able to slide, causing friction which heated up the race and caused the failure. )

Back