• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not Period Correct but works wonderful

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Been using this product over a year now, and it has wonderful ANIT RUST Properties, it is called FRIOG LUBE. Not real inexpensive, as a small jar is10-12 buck depending upon where you buy it.

But have use it on Locks, Barrels, Modern Stuff, and Knife Blades. Seem to penetrate the metal, and provie some very good anti rust properties. Plus it is a darm fine lube for like I said metal moving parts.

Yes they have a web-site, so a google search will net you the info. Also has a wonerful smell, not like bear grease.

A lot of us use modern products for rust prevention and moving parts lubrication.
The whole key the idea is to find a product you actually use. Keep a watchful eye on your firearm investments and keep lube fresh.

There was a long discussion about Frog Lube awhile back, I have a hard time moving away from "Gun Oil" that's been proven for over 100yrs into some new hoo-joo magic mix. :idunno:

Bottom line is ya gotta care for yer guns.

I, too, have used it according to the directions, and have found it to be a darned good product. It is important to use it as directed to get full benefit from it but it does work. However, one thing that I found is that Frog Lube is not a good patch lube. The stuff is just too slick to make a good patch lube. One of our premier muzzleloading accuracy experts has found that it is possible to have a patch lube that is too slick. I tested Frog Lube as a patch lube and my muzzle velocities dropped off and the standard deviation of the muzzle velocities was greater than when I used a lubricant having a lower lubricity factor. The stuff is absolutely great on the outside of your muzzleloading guns but just not in the bore.

I haven't tried it in the bore of any of my centerfire guns but I'll bet it works great in them, just not in a muzzleloader.

I, too, have used it according to the directions, and have found it to be a darned good product. It is important to use it as directed to get full benefit from it but it does work. However, one thing that I found is that Frog Lube is not a good patch lube. The stuff is just too slick to make a good patch lube. One of our premier muzzleloading accuracy experts has found that it is possible to have a patch lube that is too slick. I tested Frog Lube as a patch lube and my muzzle velocities dropped off and the standard deviation of the muzzle velocities was greater than when I used a lubricant having a lower lubricity factor. The stuff is absolutely great on the outside of your muzzleloading guns but just not in the bore.

I haven't tried it in the bore of any of my centerfire guns but I'll bet it works great in them, just not in a muzzleloader.

Me too. Ain't none better'n 3in1. Use it on all my guns for about 65 yrs. Ain't had no bad results yet.

bpd303 said:
At around $2.50 for a 3oz can of 3in1 oil, I'll stick with it. Been working at least 50 years for me.

I do not believe 3 in 1 pentrates metal like the Frog. The Frog i beieve has more anti rust properties. This 2015 and I am open to new better product that make life simple like indoor plumbing. LOL

Agree to a point, however what we want is a product that wont allow RUST. So if I can (and I do) use 3-1 at $3.00 a tin (I actually swipe my wifes, she dont know it yet) then why would I spend so much more for the end result being the same NO RUST? I suppose the age old question how good is good enough? 3-1 leaves no rust so thats good enough. I mostly use wd-40 but 3-1 on locks etc.

The one thing I can say about Frog Lube is that when used as directed, it doesn't leave an oily surface. The surface is dry and doesn't gather dust. Of course, the same can be said for Renaissance Wax and I use that stuff a lot, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZagOg2Bek

Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that I am very skeptical. At 10-12$ My rip-off warning light goes on. It uses the clever marketing term "bio based"... combine that with the name "Froglube" (similar to snakeoil) and the fact that not one piece of info is filled out on the MSDS sheets...... and then there are the miraculous claims made. :hmm:
But the most concerning information I found was this statement.

"Because of the metal seasoning affect, you will find that the myriad of other cleaning, lubricating, preservative and solvent products currently in use will no longer be required to attain complete gun care. Bore cleaners can be eliminated because mirror finish FrogLube® bores no longer allow fouling particles to stick. The amount of FrogLube® required will be a function of the amount of use, environmental conditions and/or storage."

Now where have I heard a claim like that before :hmm:

colorado clyde said:
I must say that I am very skeptical. At 10-12$ My rip-off warning light goes on. It uses the clever marketing term "bio based"... combine that with the name "Froglube" (similar to snakeoil) and the fact that not one piece of info is filled out on the MSDS sheets...... and then there are the miraculous claims made. :hmm:
But the most concerning information I found was this statement.

"Because of the metal seasoning affect, you will find that the myriad of other cleaning, lubricating, preservative and solvent products currently in use will no longer be required to attain complete gun care. Bore cleaners can be eliminated because mirror finish FrogLube® bores no longer allow fouling particles to stick. The amount of FrogLube® required will be a function of the amount of use, environmental conditions and/or storage."

Now where have I heard a claim like that before :hmm:

I have a Container or Can of Frog Lube I sprung $11.00 for I use it on knife blades, and the pivot point of folding knives. I use it after cleaning of bore for a last coating of bores. I use it on the metal part of locks, and modern guns as a last wipe down on metal parts.

The product has a nice smell, and it is used on a piece of baby flannel that is left in the jar, and it has lasted a couple of years. In the summer when it hit 120 plus in my garage it turn to a semi solid in the container.

I do not use it as my primary cleaning agent, it is used as a last step before storage. It appear to penetrate the metal, and leave a satin finish, with anti rust properties.

I have heard all the BS from the seller about Navy SEALS, and Special Operator using the Frog Lube. Plus ever other super lube salesman claims to be used by Navy SEALS, and Special Operator.

All I know is Frog Lube is something I will buy again, and it is a wonderful product. Are there other product that work as well. Yes I am sure, but why change when I am happy.

Frog Lube
Snake Oil
Peanut Butter

This topic was covered in many other forums I belong to. The product in question was invented by an astronaut fighter pilot navy Seal. Many stories to back it up. Soaks into the pores of the metal.
Sounds like peanut butter to me.

I have some 50/50 Crisco/BeesWax that will meet the same standard. Bio friendly, multiple uses, cleans and protects, and you can eat it if you find yourself in a bind.

Just read a paper on this subject and the conclusion was from the chemist author that ordinary automatic transmission fluid was the best rust preventive.

Don't know how that quote got in there, it is not what I said. :idunno:

2571 said:
akapennypincher said:
bpd303 said:
This 2015 and I am open to new better product that make life simple like indoor plumbing. LOL

No need to reinvent the wheel. 3-1 oil ain't better 'cause it's new.

Tallow works just fine.

akapennypincher said:
bpd303 said:
At around $2.50 for a 3oz can of 3in1 oil, I'll stick with it. Been working at least 50 years for me.

I do not believe 3 in 1 pentrates metal like the Frog. The Frog i beieve has more anti rust properties. This 2015 and I am open to new better product that make life simple like indoor plumbing. LOL

Some data please???????????

akapennypincher is alleged to have said "No need to reinvent the wheel. 3-1 oil ain't better 'cause it's new. Tallow works just fine." I couldn't find the original quote so I can't verify whether he said it or not. But, that is not the issue. I agree with the statement, it is not better just because it is new, it is better simply because it is better not because it is new.

I've had my say. :hatsoff: I'm outa here.

I use the original formula Lehigh Valley lube (I am running low) It works great as a patch lube and after cleaning I run a patch with this on it down the barrel and do not have any rust problems.

Back