• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novelty Targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So,

Every so often the subject comes up about what to do for novelty targets at the various monthly shoots that some of us attend.

I am a fan of active targets: I wanna see things move and such once hit, I like the visual thing.

Last year in September our clubs monthly shoot fell on the 11th, with that in mind I elected to set the trail. I designed about 8 of the 17 stations to be novelty type targets, one in particular was a crowd favorite.

The target was literaly cobbled together with rubberbands and an old screen door, it was a string cut with flags that popped up, I was asked to re-create that target for the up-coming shoot tomorrow.

I designed and built this one to be re-used for different theme based shoots.

Here are some pics I snapped of it today in case there are any interested in re-creating the design, please ask any questions involving materials or assembly.

Enjoy the pics......

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

now that' pretty crafty, i like the ideal. i may build one for myself, but i promise you i'll have a hard time hittin' that string! :hmm:

Now staple a card to a dowel that'll fit in those pipes instead of the flag,
Fix it so the card is two dimentional too the shooter.
One shot to cut the string, and one more to cut the card,
:wink:

You are limited only by your imagination.
Eggs hanging from a string are always good. One shot. Those who miss must eat the egg raw. :barf:
One of the best I ever saw (I was booshway and shoot master, wat else do ye expect me to say) was at a small rendezvous my club held on a ranch. The spot we picked just happened to be where he dumped dead cattle. (none recently, thank goodness :shocked2: ) I built some frames and hung bones with string. Being irregular in shape they waved and turned with the breeze making very challenging targets. The ribs were especially hard because as the turned sideways you had a very slim target to aim at.

izzyjoe said:
now that' pretty crafty, i like the ideal. i may build one for myself, but i promise you i'll have a hard time hittin' that string! :hmm:
At a minium of 35 to 40 feet I am thinking that many will have a hard time clipping the string.

necchi said:
Now staple a card to a dowel that'll fit in those pipes instead of the flag,
Fix it so the card is two dimentional too the shooter.
One shot to cut the string, and one more to cut the card,
:wink:

Think that would definitly add a degree of difficulty for sure, in the interest of expediency this one'll stay as intended, bonus is if'n you can cut the string you get to keep the flag.

Tomorrow is our steak feed, we'll see from 25 to 35 club members show up for the affair.

Rifleman1776 said:
You are limited only by your imagination.
Eggs hanging from a string are always good. One shot. Those who miss must eat the egg raw. :barf:
One of the best I ever saw (I was booshway and shoot master, wat else do ye expect me to say) was at a small rendezvous my club held on a ranch. The spot we picked just happened to be where he dumped dead cattle. (none recently, thank goodness :shocked2: ) I built some frames and hung bones with string. Being irregular in shape they waved and turned with the breeze making very challenging targets. The ribs were especially hard because as the turned sideways you had a very slim target to aim at.

The point of this particular target frame is to have a re-useable pop-up string shoot, instead of flags as pop-ups in February put flowers in the pipes, in October use ghosts and whitches, in November turkey heads and such.

Also do a grab bag type shoot with prizes attached to the pipes, and on and on and on......

The only drawback to this style of target it only rewards the top shooters, and a few of the lucky ones.
:stir:

Back