• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_mikee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy All

Newbie to your forum with a question related to the age of Black Powder.

I am just getting back into BP firearms, and wanting to shoot an 1858 Remington 44 cal pistol I just bought from Cabellas.

I want to take my wife shooting and will purchase a new can of powder, but I found I have an approximately 30- 40 year old pint size can of FFF black powder that has been kept in a cool dry area for all this time. (I had an old Flintlock rifle back in the 70's, that was a hoot to shoot, and want to get back into shooting BP, but want to do so safely).

With safety in mind I ask is there a simple test to determine if this powder is still good? If it is not, how do I properly dispose of it? I want to be safe and would rather error on the side of safety. I am sure you understand.

Thanks in advance for your replies

mike

YOu will have absolutely NO safety issues. Black Powder doesn't Get "OLD" like smokeless powder does. If you kept it cool and dry it will shoot as well today as it did the day it left the factory. Enjoy. :grin: :hmm: :thumbsup:

I still have some 1F Dupont from 1975 that I sometimes shoot in my .58.
Good stuff burns real clean.

I shot up an old can of Du Pont last fall that I've had since back in the seventies-it was dated 1924 and it went bang every time.

You might want to save that 1924 can for it may have collector value :hmm: . One of my friends gave me some 4F from around the same time period and he told me it had collector value......

Dave

reddog97 said:
I shot up an old can of Du Pont last fall that I've had since back in the seventies-it was dated 1924 and it went bang every time.

When a local pub was being restored the owner took an old P53 off the wall where it had been sincea photo was taken in 1897.

It was loaded.

He called a couple of us shooters up to clear it for him.

Tying it up to a handy gate-post pointing it into a ditch, we capped and pulled the string.

It went bang.

Some of the stuff that came out were shreds of newspaper wadding dated April 1897 - Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee.

tac

Since all the ingredients of black powder are natural products, it will no deteriorate with age as long as it has been stored properly. If it will pour without clumping, it will be fine to shoot in in any muzzleloader.

Great, thanks for all the replies. Good to know it is safe to use, and I do not have to deal with properly disposing of it. I am looking forward to shooting it "all gone."

thanks again for all your replies,

mike

Back