• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess? Opinions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGeraths

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Pedersoli 2nd model Brown Bess? I am thinking about picking one up but can't find any reviews anywhere.

All the best,

Dana

I have the Brown Bess Trade Gun from Dixie Gun Works. It is made by Pedersoli and appears to be a cut-down version of the 2nd model, although I have not compared them side by side. The barrel is browned and it has a serpent side plate and it is short (so am I, so it fits).

I like mine alot! It functions well, shoots well and looks great. I shoot it at targets and very seldom. When I got it, it wasn't exactly what I wanted for reenacting, but I haven't regretted getting it.

I would gladly own any model of the Brown Bess, it is a do-all gun and a pleasure to shoot...

I have the 2nd model, I prefer the long barrels... (maybe I'm compensating for something) :crackup:

My group has several that were made in 1974 and they are still going. There were a few broken springs over the years, but DP offers parts and there is some product support.

On the other hand, they are pretty expensive when compared to the other makers' copies and there are a few errors in the Pedersoli.

The cheaper options can leave you struggling to find parts, they are generally a bit heavy and clunky.

CS

I agree with just about everything posted thus far. I've had my Bess now for 17 years and it's been a great companion. The only negative comment I have is that the Frizzen didn't hold up, and had to be re hardened after a few years. it was a very frustrating experience. I have a friend who has a bess the same age, and he too had to reharden his frizzen at about the same point in his Bess's life. I think that Maybe Pedersoli had a few bad years back in the 80s. Also, I replaced the entire lock, it turns out the springs were weak, and the action was too soft, just sloppy. But, having said that, the new lock is sharp and the action is crisp. If they weren't so damned expensive, then I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

I bought mine in '77 new for (better sit down) $175, no it wasn't a kit either. Gave the lock a few licks with a stone, honed and bedded the barrel and its been earning its keep with no problems ever since (well I have had to replace that pesk rocky thing in the hammer a few times but they tell me that is normal). Seriously, it is a great shooter and noisemaker and 100% reliable, can't say enough good things about it. If you want a proven shooter buy the Pederosli or build your own, for living history there ae cheaper alternatives. The lock does show a bit of wear and I think the cock falls a little slower than it did but it doesn't affect its function in any way. They are well proportioned and well finished however they are just a little too small and gracefull to be a 100% accurate copy of a 2nd. model. The late Kit Ravenshear offered parts and advise on modifications to give it a more accurate appearance. The Japanese (no longer avaliable) copy was probably the most accurate and the "Indian" imports lean toward the "clunky" side, all the aforementiond base on visual comparisons with a 2nd. model Bess. I once saw a truly clunky copy marked "Made in Brazil". The Eastern imports may be good shooters too, I just don't know anyone who has shot live ammo in one. Would I buy another one when (if) mine dies? You bet!

A friend of mine has one and I have shot it so I guess that makes me slightly qualified to answer...

His is mid-1970's vintage and still going strong.
He's used it for shooting clays :: and feral pigs :: :: ::

Its pretty lightweight for its size, I actually find it a bit unpleasent to shoot because of the recoil (my normal gun is a 10lb .58 cal rifle musket with target loads)

He recently had a full tune up done on it, which included plugging and then re-drilling the touch hole slightly larger and slightly higher, and a LOT of expert polishing to the inside of the lock. Lock time is now twice as fast. Apparently the original touchhole was too low and came with some sort of small burr on the inside.

There a a few PC problems with it though. I'm not well qualified to speak on those but theres a history of the bess here :
American Rifleman article on the history of the Bess

Finally got mine used from TOW a few months ago. It was well worth the wait.
You get what you pay for. Several India versions about and I've not gotten the "warm and fuzzy feeling" from any of them.
I feel for a competatively equal (quality wise) one wouldbe hard pressed to find one at the Pedersoli's price.
Many say that the Peder. 2nd is not Period Correct. That may be, but I don't care. I'm very happy with mine.
Came with a freshly browned barrel which was fine for me too.
Lots of opinions about "good loads" out there for both shot and ball. Many of these did not work well for me and some did. You're going to have to work up your own because it seems they all react differently.
I would recommend a Pedrosoli anytime. :imo:

Just finished a two day reinactment (Rev War) and my Pedersoli Bess fired 200 rounds without a misfire. I'm not sure about the authenticity of all of it, but it is a workhorse that won't fail me. :m2c:

Dan, if you'd a said you drank two hundred beers this weekend I'd a believed it more than the two hundred shots Bawhahahahah!!!! Seriously I can attest that a whole bunch of powder was burnt throught that and several other Besses at Ft. Henry Days this weekend. Welcome to the board Dan, it's a good one. I think I'm going to start looking for a bess soon to.

Tommy,

I wondered if that was you...Gotta remember, the Bess worked well but you still have to settle you nerves! actually, I just stumbled into this board, never knew it existed. But, the motto remains the same.."Flintlocks, Flyrods, and Firewater" :)

Latest posts

Back