• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli pennsylvania rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micanopy said:
Skip a couple of house payments and dont buy groceries for a couple months. That way you can get a custom deal, easy enough in these times.
There ya go! That's what I do..... :shake:
:haha:
I sell off my old stuff to buy new stuff all the time. That's why it's so important to buy good stuff all the time....SO IT'S WORTH SOMETHING WHEN YOU WANT TO TRADE UP!
Instant gratification feels great and seems to be the norm these days, but if you wait and look for a good deal you'll save a bunch of money and get what you want for alot less money.

That's what I meant when I mentioned they hold their value better... I've bought/sold/traded up a few guns over the past few years and have never lost a cent on a custom (or semi) gun.

And Mike Brooks,

It’s a little ingenious to let him expect there would not be any further expenses if he builds a “kit” rifle. It has never worked out that way for me, anyways. Also I never buy anything with the intent of selling it. I just get what I like or need at the time. I guess that’s why I am/have been always poor!

I must be real lucky, as I can think of five Pedersoli guns I have and they do what there were made to do and all shoot better than me. In fact I'm in the process of buying one of their 45/70 double rifles. I do have more custom guns that cost much to many times more and are worth every penny. Yes I probably like the custom guns some what better, however I've had about as much fun shooting factory guns..Also have a number of TC muzzleloaders and enjoying shooting. Don't let any one talk you out of a good factory gun if that is in your price range. I can think of only one real bad experience with a kit flintlock(about 1969)that kept me from trying flintlocks again until just a few years ago. I can remember many years ago it was hard to come up with the funds to buy a good TC. Still have that gun. :surrender:

You and me both I guess. My Pedersoli has never given me one second of grief, sparks well and puts critters dead on the table. Hard to ask any more from a rifle than that.

Sekiar said:
I must be real lucky, as I can think of five Pedersoli guns I have and they do what there were made to do and all shoot better than me. In fact I'm in the process of buying one of their 45/70 double rifles. I do have more custom guns that cost much to many times more and are worth every penny. Yes I probably like the custom guns some what better, however I've had about as much fun shooting factory guns..Also have a number of TC muzzleloaders and enjoying shooting. Don't let any one talk you out of a good factory gun if that is in your price range. I can think of only one real bad experience with a kit flintlock(about 1969)that kept me from trying flintlocks again until just a few years ago. I can remember many years ago it was hard to come up with the funds to buy a good TC. Still have that gun. :surrender:
Excepting a couple of flawed parts, they tend to please more often than not.

I have a .45 cal Pedersoli Frontier. Love that gun. Never given me any trouble, always been accurate, and it didn't break the bank ~ I bought it barely used for $400.

My first Caywood was a used English Fowler. I found it in a gun rack for $600...so there are some deals out there. Go to the gun shows, haunt the classifieds, etc... you never know what might pop-up for sale. :wink:

I agree. My wife bought me my .45 Blue Ridge from Cabela's for $300, 15 years ago. It was my first flinter and never gave me any problems. I was going to buy another one in the then new .54 caliber when Pedersoli jumped the price a couple of hundred dollars about 4 years ago. Now they are so close to the cost of a semi custom, I just have to look around. If a good Pedersoli came by at a good price, I wouldn't think twice about getting it.

"Wonder why nobody made an after market drop-in stock for the Pedersolis that would give them a more historic look?'

Probably because they would have to make a drop in swamped barrel and different lock ass well.

Any of these would be post 1800 at best with the straight barrels and other "issues" it is just the way they are made to keep the costs down which are still getting to the point that used or in the white domestic gun start looking pretty good, just know what they are and make an educated choice based on what you can spend and how much "correct" matters to you, many use them and try to argue them into history it is better to use them if need be but accept them for what they are and remain dignified with the knowlegde and reasons for the choice if it is one of these.Always check the classified from the several ML/Trekking forums very good buys can be found quite often.Look very carefully at what is offered out there as "Early Virginia" it is best to do some research then find a bulder than makes the gun that fits the facts, for the most part vendors/suppliers are not a good source for PC information with many notable sole proprieter exceptions.Early Virginia =swamped barrel early lock (no Siler) as a rule unless early means 1775-80 then the Siler could pass.Lots of things to look into on any type of gun to get it "right" lots of good info here about the does and don't of correct guns it does not take long to pick out the better sources from the questionable ones :hmm:

To begin with, that is the point of my last post. My first post refers to a more historic look, not a certain time period. As for a swamp barrel, all of the semi custom makers, like TVM, Early Rustic Arms and the other TVM, offer their basic rifles with a straight barrel (swamp at an extra cost). Besides, how many swamp barrels offered today are made of iron :confused: :idunno: I'm not saying that the Pedersolis are HC or PC, just that their stock could be shaped better :v

" Besides, how many swamp barrels offered today are made of iron"
If I had a dime for every time someone tried that poor example of rationalization I could afford an iron barrel. how do you not consider a time period when trying to have a more historical look?I was not implying that you said these guns were PC/HC but if improving upon the looks of the stock exactly what would the end result be, if one was going to bother it would seem logical to get it right the second time around, and that would seem to be in the direction of historicaly correct, no flame just curious

Count me among the dastardly Pedersoli infidels. I love all my Pedersoli guns. I hear lots of complaints about poor locks, but none of mine have ever given me trouble. My Pennsylvania has been a fantastic shooter since I bought it eleven years ago. It's never needed any work. Sparks every time and has very fast ignition. No flaws at all regarding fit and finish. Good shooter, too.

That being said, they are pricey, no argument there. And it wouldn't be something you'd want if you're looking for PC, but I didn't buy it for that. I've never seen someone try to 'argue them into history', but I'm sure some people will try. I've never done that; I understand and acknowledge that they don't fit anywhere into history (besides the fact that the technology and type of weapon is approximately 18th century, but nothing more specific than that). As I like to say, it's just a 'generic' long rifle. But mine is a great shooter, and PC/HC wasn't a concern for me when I bought it, so it works for me.

IMG_5172.jpg

Well, for starters, get rid of those cut outs along each side of the ram rod like the Hatfields. Give it more of a comb. Keep the straight barrel and make it 1810, 1820 or 1830 style. It would sure beat 1970. As for the swamp barrel, maybe a lot of people make that comments because it's true. If someone puts a FAKE steel swamp barrel on their rifle, it may be PC style, but in no way is it HC. But, your right. This dead horse has been beaten enough :surrender: . If it makes you happy, shoot it :wink:

The various production guns have been and probably will be a way for folks to get started and even last a lifetime of ML shooting hunting, the authenticity factor is just something folks should understand so to be able to make an educated choice, most all of us have had several of these guns over the years I know I have and am not putting them down just defining their place so to speak,I have mentioned nothing about quality as that can be a gun to gun deal even from some well known builders, it just seems like they are getting really close in price to a gun that could wear the HC/PC label from some suppliers,I do not look down on the production guns per say but I think some do which may be unjustified if the gun is not being pushed as something it is not, but then the gun does not do that the owner does :hmm: at any rate enjoy whatever you shoot they all provide a great way to experience something from days gone by.

OK gang. Folks keep poking at the Pedersoli saying it isn't like the real thing.

I'll be the first to say the rear sight is totally wrong and for it to be an accurate representation of the early guns it should have a swamped barrel.

That said, here is a photo from page 134 of the Kentucky Rifle Associations book, "KENTUCKY RIFLES & PISTOLS 1750-1850".

Albright.jpg

This rifle was made by Jacob Albright Ca. 1805.
It is a Susquehanna School rifle with a 44 1/2 inch barrel in .47 caliber.

Notice the curvature of the comb and the straight line of the bottom of the stock.

Here is a photo of the Pedersoli Pennsylvanian from the Pedersoli catalog.
Pedersoli-Penn.jpg

The primary main differences to my eye besides that rear sight is the shape of the trigger guard and the butt plate.
There are other rifles in the above mentioned book that have trigger guards very similar to the Pedersoli. The butt plate also has some similar guns shown in that book.

I would suggest that folks should study the many books that are available before they get too high and mighty and proclaim a pretty fair representation of a true Kentucky Rifle as being a 1970's gun and totally wrong for reenacting or representing guns in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Thanks. Here's a bigger version so you can see a bit more detail...
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x188/JJack521/IMG_5172.jpg

It's the Chambersburg model, which I think is no longer available. Same basic design as their others, just different decoration on the stock and a browned barrel. And it's American walnut, whereas their other models are European walnut (not sure why the difference :idunno: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a good example of the differences in the architecture at the wrist comb area, Pedorsoli uses a much to narrow plank to get the shape right, you look close and you can pick up other things in the detail,the Pedorsoli can pass for post 1800 as has been mentioned but it still lacks the some of the detail of the originals, usually lots of extra wood,I do not recall how the Pedorsoli cheekpiece lays whether it is proud in German fashion or minimaly English or if they forgot to put one on, I have not handles one for several years and most of those here who have said this gun does not fit into the 18th century have quite a few references sources to judge by.

cowpoke1955 said:
Well, for starters, get rid of those cut outs along each side of the ram rod like the Hatfields. Give it more of a comb. Keep the straight barrel and make it 1810, 1820 or 1830 style. It would sure beat 1970. As for the swamp barrel, maybe a lot of people make that comments because it's true. If someone puts a FAKE steel swamp barrel on their rifle, it may be PC style, but in no way is it HC. But, your right. This dead horse has been beaten enough :surrender: . If it makes you happy, shoot it :wink:

Pedersoli Kentucky and Pennsylvanias dont have cut outs along the forestock, however the frontier rifle does. The Kentucky and Penn, are pinned in, not screwed.

TG far as I know the Kentucky has no cheek piece, least mine dosent.

Back