• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up another rifle CVA Mountain Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i was browsing a new local gunshop that recently started stocking various powder and muzzleloading supplies, when i noticed a sidelock on his gun rack. i asked to see it looked in great shape, so i asked him what his price was? He stated 50.00 i quickly handed him the money a thank you and got home with my newest rifle. while it was synthetic stocked (wish it would have been the wood stock) The rifle weighs a mere 5.5 lbs has basic iron sights with a brass front blade 1-48 twist 50 caliber. i cleaned it took the lock off cleaned and lubed it. I then put CC! mag #11 cap on the nipple, squeezed the trigger thud Nothing. the second shot went off as expected. i remebered being told that sometimes you have to file the outside diameter of the nipple so the caps fit better. i took the nipple off took my diamond stone to it. preceeded to fire 100 straight. Everyone went off im really happy with my newest purchase. That makes 5 for me now in the last 2 months. its been a long time since ive been bitten by a bug. im pretty addicted. thanks to all who has helped me on my journey so far.

A CVA Mountain Stalker was the first Muzzleloader I ever bought. I saved my tobacco harvesting money one summer and bought it from a Cabelas magazine. That's the one that got me started with the hobby. I have since sold it and moved on but it was a great little rifle that I learned a lot with. It shot really well for me! That brings back some memories. :thumbsup:

I have one, I Think was $69.99 at Cabelas, wood stock. Great inexpensive lil gun. Likely be for sale here real soon along with a fox river .50 (was that a Bass Pro gun?, traditions? cant recall and too lazy to dig it out!).

I have one of those rifles. It works great with a 50 grain charge of 3F, and a .490 PRB but anything else and it is all over the place.
It is a cheek slapper, even when I put enough shot in the butt to make it weigh 11 pounds.
Now it sits un used and in the closet.

This will be my loaner gun, for when a few friends want to hunt, they cant touch my thompsons or lymans but they can take the CVA Mountain stalker. i like the little rifle. ive filled the stock with some spray insulation and bout 2 4 ounce no roll sinkers in the butt. it balances alot better still just a tad over 6 lbs. i may thow some better sights on it. like i said where i live i never hunt farther then 50 yards

What is stamped on the barrel,there's your answer.The wife's reads Mountain Stalker,,wood stock.

rj morrison said:
that's why no one is and EXPERT you learn something new every day.
Yes, I agree with you about saying that no one is an expert. I also agree that you can learn something new every day as well.

That's why I did a little research on it to find the answer. Found old listings of the rifle and yes, it was also available with a senthetic stock. Also found a couple on two different gun auctions that have that type of stock.

If I don't know something, I will take the time and do a little research to find the right answer. Has nothing to do with being an expert and know one here claimed to be, ecspecially me!

Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

I just checked the CVA shooters manual and the Bobcat and Mountain Stalker are both listed as having a 1:48 twist.

{I still can't figure out the difference between the 2 rifles. Never had the chance to put them side by side and look it over. Every time I have seen one it looked pretty much the same as the other.}

yes read the stamped barrel. I have a 50cal with a 1:32 and a 54 that had a 1:38

I havent found a mtn stalker with the 1:48 twist but I'd imagine they exist.

Back