• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RB this forum runs down conical shooters a lot. I can read and expect a few other people can also. It isn't good to run down anybody interested in black powder. I use both as I see fit PRB and conical. If I don't care and can afford to pass on a shot I try to use a PRB if I don't have the luxury to pass on a shot I usually use a Maxi-ball. AND no I have NEVER had one move off the powder. They both kill well but the conical penetrates better for the same size caliber. And yes I can use a 58 but like to use other rifles also. WE need all the members and help we can get to keep our hobby alive. And no I won't try to defend my thoughts by linking a bunch of read between the line stuff. :v Larry

I agree there is the occasional lively discussion about PRBs vs. Conicals.
I just didn't see it in this particular thread and was surprised at your reaction given the OPs actual request for PRB benefits / information.

Years ago when the first Flintlock I had was a .45cal T/C Hawken standard shallow groove barrel, I was worried that the little .45cal ball might not be enough for deer and was pleasantly surprised to find that I could almost drive tacks with the .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunter.
I used it for a couple seasons and it was devastating on the deer I took with it...in fact, at the time I recall posting that if I could only have one 'rifle' for year round target shooting and then my deer hunting in the woods, it would be a .45cal with a 1:48" shallow groove barrel to be able to use both projectiles.
But eventually, after getting hooked on Flintlocks, I got another rifle in a different / larger caliber and didn't need to go that route after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. To qualify my statement about rb's. I used conicals in my Cabela's Hawken when I first got it, mostly because that was all I knew. I graduated to rb's because I wanted to be a little more H/C. The conicals shot fine, got good groups with them, and so do the rb's. But I think knowing that your range is limited makes a person a better hunter-and that is my goal.

I started out shooting a Hawken style rifle with the T/C MaxiHunters. I shot several deer and it knocked them down dead.
I also killed deer with the Ball-ets and the Great Plains Bullet. It killed the deer dead too and sometimes my shoulder.
As my eyes aged and I realized that 50 yards was probably going to be my distance limit with iron sights I decided to try the PRB. Guess what? It kills deer dead too.
I do like the nice light 60gr load with a PRB. I can shoot 50 times at the range and still enjoy it.
I will probably still shoot both projectiles but probably use PRB on deer and a conical on hogs.

Just shoot what you like. Shot placement is the most important thing.

I keep conicals on hand just incase we get a menace bear. I have seen the pictures posted by members who have killed bear with a PRB...but if I have to shoot one it is getting a heavy powder charge wih a heavy conical. As the bear would have to be in the yard causeing issues for me to shoot it the range would be less than 30 yards. That should do the job rather well.

That is another issue where I hunt. We are infested with bears and if need be I would like to know that what I am loaded with can kill the bear and not have to track one with a bad blood trail.

Then it would be smart to load for bear imediatly after you take a deer. If they are in numbers in your area they might decide to compete with you for your kill.
(What is the rule on a bear or wolf pack trying to steal your kill? Are we required to surender the kill or can we shoot the thief?)

at close range (under 50 yards) your not going to see much difference between a PRB and a conical. from what ive seen the difference starts showing up after 50 yards and the major difference shows up at 100+ yards.

a conical will penetrate heavier objects better past 50 yards and at 100 yards or greater it will drop less and pack more of a punch. but just to be clear, by heavier objects i mean elk and bear bones. the bones in a deer dont stand a chance against the round ball.

a 50 cal round ball at close range (under 50 yards) is plenty to kill a bear, elk, and moose. if you dont believe me just scan threw more of this hunting section.

Cynthialee, I don't know what the regs are there, but in CO, if a bear wants your kill, you have to let him have it.

Well I am in NJ and we have a 6 day season for black bear. During those 6 days you can harvest a bear with proper permit if one does decide to try and take your deer. Outside that I am not sure. On a separate note I took my .54 GPR out today. I shot a 3 shot 1 inch group at 50 yards off the rest using 70 grains of 2F, a .20 wonderlube patch and .530 Hornady RB. I shot a bit larger group off hand using the same load. I am confident in my shooting out to 50 yards and plan on trying a bit further.

Memphis1211 said:
On a separate note I took my .54 GPR out today. I shot a 3 shot 1 inch group at 50 yards off the rest using 70 grains of 2F, a .20 wonderlube patch and .530 Hornady RB. I shot a bit larger group off hand using the same load. I am confident in my shooting out to 50 yards and plan on trying a bit further.
:thumbsup:

Wish I had seen this post before I posted a question on the percussion side about a new tight twist barrel for my .54. Guess I will keep shooting my prb's since they have been working for me.

IN Idaho if a Black Bear wants your game and you have a tag. You can shoot him dead and tag him. If it is a Grizz you have to let him have it. Ron

Idaho Ron said:
IN Idaho if a Black Bear wants your game and you have a tag. You can shoot him dead and tag him. If it is a Grizz you have to let him have it. Ron

i dont care what it is, if its trying to steal my kill... wolf, black bear, griz, and even human (yes there have been cases of people being mugged for their deer/elk) its getten shot. the woods of the great NW are vast. critters and even people disappear from time to time.

Matt85 said:
Idaho Ron said:

i dont care what it is, if its trying to steal my kill.....even human.....its getten shot.

Wow.....did you really mean to say that ?

:shocked2:

Depends on the situation but I'd be apt to protect my kill from other predators too. However, I draw the line when it comes to humans or aliens....just not worth it to do anything but turn around and walk away from those situations....

I'd draw the line at people also. Anyone who would try and take a kill from an armed hunter must be desperate. Either they are plumb crazy or they need the food in a bad way.
But a 4 footed predator or scavenger that thinks my food is thier food is likely to get shot for its crime, I could use another pelt.

roundball said:
Wow.....did you really mean to say that ?

:shocked2:

ya ever been mugged? i have... lost my wallet and my rifle along with my car keys (they left me unconcious and stranded out in the woods). also gained a serious concussion and a 3 day stay in the local hospital.

edit: sorry for taking this thread off topic.

-Matt

As long as Matt has taken this off a bit, I took a friend(?)of mine elk hunting. We were in black timber and I bugled in a spike. Bob decided he wanted to shoot, and so he did. The bull ran straight away from us, and we heard another shot. When we got to the bull a guy was standing over it with his rifle at the ready as though he wanted to fight. He saw where Bob had shot the bull, and claimed it for his own saying he shot it there.
I had seen this guy there before, but never saw him again. Rumor has it he had a heart attack.

Back