• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB for Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
Matt85 said:
Idaho Ron said:
IN Idaho if a Black Bear wants your game and you have a tag. You can shoot him dead and tag him. If it is a Grizz you have to let him have it. Ron

i dont care what it is, if its trying to steal my kill.....even human.....its getten shot.

Wow.....did you really mean to say that ?

:shocked2:

Don't know, but some people deserve to be shot, some need to be shot again!

Comments like that on a public forum come back to bite you when you are testifying on the witness stand. Juries have tendency to believe you.

And what was the original question????? OH yea!! PRB as Conical,,I use PRB,,just cause I do,had a conical come off the powder one year,hanging out the muzzle,.alarming..That and PRB will do any thing I need doing. :eek:ff :eek:ff :eek:ff :doh: :surrender: :yakyak: :nono: :idunno: :slap:

The only way I'd use deadly force on another human (I am part human) is if my own life were in danger. I'd certainly not do it over a stupid deer - kick his a$@#% maybe if called for.

If a grizzly or black bear tried to take it, again I'd let it go unless black or griz season was open. No, let me take that back. If it was a griz I'd let him have all the deer he wanted while I sneaked off to find a tree. A one shot gun seems awful small in such a situation. And I can tell you these Virginia grizzlies grow huge and mean. :hmm:

that is what the yard garbage is betting on,,,you will roll over and give them what they want!!!!Time to take back the streets,,
Stealing is stealing,penny or a million dollars,it's stealing,,,,,,If it comes down to a 50/50 chance you will kill them,,watch the crime rate go down,,or at least the yard garbage become fewer..I'll give it to an animal,,but a human,,let's see who wants it more,,,and I worked for it....It's all about principal..
Like the man said,"Go ahead punk,, make my day"

Please, a public forum like this is not the place to discuss “Use of Deadly Force”. If, for some unfortunate reason, you wind up having to use deadly force on someone you WILL be sued. Anything you say here can be used against you even if taken out of context or used in a different way than you meant it.

Not to mention, as Sperit de bois pointed out, this is way off the topic of using a PRB for hunting.
Here is an attached article on some of the ways Social Networking is being used in investigations.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-08-04/facebook-social-media-crime/56762626/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I doubt a bear will be taking my whitetail deer kill here in PA I know I would be going in the other direction quickly and quietly and be glad it wasn't wanting my hide instead of the deers hide. :)

As far as humans taking my deer it has happened to me twice in my lifetime so far and I just let them have it and never argued about it.

Once it was a hunter shooting rapid shots at a running deer; it ran up to me and stopped at about 60 yards looking around; I dropped it on the spot with a behind the shoulder shot from my 30-30. Not a mark on it anywhere other than my shot. He came running up to the deer so fast that he got to it before I did and was yelling "I got it"; "I got it" the whole time. It was the guys first deer so I just gave it to him.

You meet alot of different people when hunting and some of them should'nt be shooting a high power rifle. I seldom go in centerfire season anymore.

Reread my post. Wasn't me talking about using deadly force over a deer. In fact I specifically dismissed as stupid, the very idea of it. Isn't that what YOU'RE doing in YOUR post?

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :idunno: :idunno: :idunno: :doh: :doh: :snore: :snore: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Oats for my horses and Snickers for my troops.

Have killed game with both PRB and maxi-balls. PRB's do just fine with well placed shots within a reasonable range. I prefer maxi-balls if I am hunting elk larger than a spike. (lots of spike only units here in M/L season). For cows, bulls and black bear it's maxi-balls only for me.

JCW said:
PRB's do just fine with well placed shots within a reasonable range.

For cows, bulls and black bear it's maxi-balls only for me.
You didn't mention the caliber you use or the distances involved?

I am interested in using my .54 with PRB for black bear and deer this year. Anyone have experience with PRB and black bear?

Shine did,, turned one Maine black bear into a rug,, posted on this forum..

You can not over come poor shooting with fire power,,,Vomir le Chien,,,

Memphis1211 said:
I am interested in using my .54 with PRB for black bear and deer this year. Anyone have experience with PRB and black bear?
Assuming you'll be taking typical distance shots in a woods environment, a .54cal PRB over a big game powder charge puts a deer down in a hurry.

Never shot a black bear so I can't speak from experience there...I will say that IMO, given the similarities of black bear to deer, I personally wouldn't hesitate to go after them with a .54cal PRB.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a New Brunswick black bear my uncle took. Hes been going up to a place for close to 20 years with bow, I built him a flintlock and told him to take one with it as its something I can't do myself. The ball smashed through both heavy front leg bones, lungs and exited. If you count the seconds, It's basically about 32 seconds when the head goes down last time and he stopped the camera...expired exactly like a typical bow shot bear would have only it didn't go anywhere.

i have shot over a dozen deer with prb most with 54cal. all chest shots, all less than 50yds. i shoot at a range 2 to 3 times a month. i shoot the same loads i hunt with. the damage that round ball does is always impressive. i have never had to track a deer. irishtoo

Back