• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper Hunting Load for .50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 50 cal flinter that has a Green Mountain barrel cut to 33 inches. It has a 1/70 twist. I use 70gr GOEX 3-f and a patched round ball, and it is sighted in @ 75 yards.This past deer season I shot a doe at 55 yards and a buck at 20 yards. Neither ball exited but both deer dropped in their tracks.

My son-in-law has a .50 Traditions Hawkens and a .50 T/C Hawkens. Both are very accurate at 50 yards with a .490 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol and 70 grains of FFg Goex. You'll have to try both FFg and FFFg to see which one your rifle likes. Real black powder will give more reliable ignition than any of the sub powders. Good luck on your next rifle. I have two .54 GPRs, one cap and one flint. They both shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with a .530 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 80 grains of FFg Goex. Good luck :thumbsup:

I used a Traditions .50 Deerhunter for nearly all my roedeer harvests. My load was 90 grs WanoPP, .490 PRB, .010" lubed patch, spittled wad. Harvests were from 30 to 80m.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back