• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protective oils, etc...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV_Hillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK good folks...

What is your favourite protective oil (or other substance) that you use for short term storage. By short term, I mean between shooting sessions, but not more than 3 months.

Now, what is your favourite protective coating for LONG term storage--which I'll say is longer than 6 months.

I hope that your muzzleloaders don't set idle for months at a time. I'm really not trying to chide you if you do only shoot your muzzleloader during the actual season and store it for 12 months or more at a time... so please don't take offense.

I like to use a good lightweight oil, as I don't want it to gum up in colder weather, and I want it to be able to "creep" into all the little openings and reach places that aren't normally reachable without total disassembly of the gun.

For longer term, I use RIG or an equivalent heavy grease and usually do take the gun all the way apart and coat everything very well before re-assembly and storage.

Let's hear 'em now...

Oily and Greasily,
WV_Hillbilly

Bore lube for short term storage: Natural Lube 1000
Bore lube for long term storage: Natural Lube 1000
Patch lube: Natural Lube 1000
Conical lube: Natural Lube 1000

(Awaiting test results as a cover scent and underarm deoderant ::)

I use Clenzoil, for both short, and long term. After shooting, I use the bucket of hot soapy water method, followed by a good drying. Then I apply Clenzoil to both the bore, and the outside of the barrel. Also wipe down the lock, tang etc. I even apply Clenzoil to the ramrod tips, it not only keeps them rust free, it cleans off any fouling.

For longer term, I use RIG or an equivalent heavy grease and usually do take the gun all the way apart and coat everything very well before re-assembly and storage.
A tour of duty in downtown NYC led to me leaving my guns in storage at my Dad's place - a finished but uncooled attic room in hot & humid SC. Gave them a good coat of RIG on a day that was hot enough to turn it almost liquid...got down in every nook and cranny. Picked them up two years later, wiped them down, and found them in the same condition I had left them.

Around here, where 30% humidity is a bad day, all I really need to do for short term storage is clean off the salts left by sweaty hands, add a light coat of any decent oil, and keep the metal away from leather.

Until recently I was using 3-in-1 or standard gun oil for short term service and a gun grease for longer storage and for the outside of the barrel, until I read a thread in the "percussion" section where several good folks used olive oil. I tested several variations on steel test plates (results posted on the other thread, I will repeat it if you would like)in August. Tests were outdoors, in Houston (hot, humid). From now on I will use olive oil short term and replace the gun grease with an 80% olive oil - 20% beeswax mix (which I also use for a patch lube). Good results to date. :results: :m2c:

I use a light coat of the military med grade weponds oil for short term storage. For long term storage I use 30 weight motor oil. It's heavy enough that it don't evaporate so it stays on and protects for a long time.
Before I shoot I run a couple of dry patches through to clear the bore and remove the nipple and clean it. It has always worked great for me. :imo:

I have 6 of the camp's ML's in storage in a non-heated barn during the winter in Northwoods Wi. Haven't had anything worse than a barrel full of ladybug bodies with a good detailed cleaning including pulling the lock. Everything gets scrubbed, the lock gets a coat of grease and reinstalled, folded patch over the nipple and hammer down on it, and a coat of grease on the outside of the barrel and all other external metal parts. The barrel inside gets a very liberal spray of Rem-oil that migrates into the breech, drum, and nipple.

This year I finished with a clean oiled patch on a barrel plug to keep the bugs out. I'll find out how it works when we do setup for camp next May.

Since I shoot so rarely during the fall and winter, I keep my home rifle clean by taking it down and running a patch thru it and adding some lube or oil as needed.

For a long time I cleaned with hot water and Murphys Oil Soap, rinsed with hot water the sprayed the entire barrel out alcohol and lubed with Rem Oil.

Couple months back I switched to Natural Lube 1000 for the bore and exterrior. I flush the bore with alcohol after cleaning then run a well lubed patch down bore while the barrel is still warm. Next day I swab again with Natural Lube and its a done deal.

Regulis7

I used to have a quart bottle of Sperm Oil (Whale oil) that I used for everything. You can't get it anymore. I don't know if it was the best but it sure seemed traditional. :hmm:

Well how I got the stuff was not verry honerable but I worked for a small petro chem?chemical distribution joint a while back.During an inventorey I found a crate of small white bottles of stuff marked "GUN OIL,MISSLE, HYDROLIC,NON FLAMMIBLE" It is red has no oder and will remove rust from anything.I dont know what it was ment for but I use it on all my mettle stuff that I dont want to rust

Well how I got the stuff was not verry honerable but I worked for a small petro chem?chemical distribution joint a while back.During an inventorey I found a crate of small white bottles of stuff marked "GUN OIL,MISSLE, HYDROLIC,NON FLAMMIBLE" It is red has no oder and will remove rust from anything.I dont know what it was ment for but I use it on all my mettle stuff that I dont want to rust

So was that meant as a "hydraulic fluid" to operate servos or something? Very curious... I can maybe find out for you what that is--I have a couple of "rocket scientist" friends.

Does it have an MSDS reference number or any other info on the bottles? If it does you can look it up on the 'Net. Does it look like it maybe was bought in bulk and re-packaged in the smaller bottles?

If it's anything like "hydraulic brake fluid"? or maybe a form of ATF? Might have been used to slow the rocket down or to shift gears...? :crackup: Sorry I just HAD to do that!

I'll see what I can find out and in the meantime see if you can get me a number. We can do this with PM now if you want.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS Most of those lightweight hydraulic fluids are very poisonous. Wash really good if you get some on you, OK?

Range and huntin, after field cleaning; Beeswax/peanut oil mix.
After home cleaning; A mix of 4 parts 3in1 oil, 1 part ProLong engine treatment mix. No hint of rust ever!! :m2c: :results:

All outside surfaces (metal and wood) get a good,heavy coat of plain ole' Johnsons Paste wax, left to dry and then buffed off. Never had any external rust while using this. Internally, bore and lockworks, I use a product called TW25B. This stuff is absolutely awesome as far as rust prevention goes, and does not gum up, but it takes some sort of solvent to get it out of the bore before shooting. I use alcohol for removal. The guy that developed TW25B lives lose to me, and he claims that it will not gum up in powder fouling, since it's teflon based, and uses a vegtable type oil as a carrier. Reckon I'll try it, maybe as a patch lube and find out. I do know that smokeless fouling (carbon) will just wipe off of a surface treated with it. :m2c:

It has no number other then #066622.It was made by Cole Chemicals from Cole Chem. distribution wich is now VexaPax LLC.It is in a clear plastic bottle and is red but not red like tranni fluid.it is perfictly runny as it dont go where you dont want it to.It takes verry little to lube gun parts.My first thaught was that it was for nail guns but I use those alot and the oil for that is yellow.The only other markings on the lable is what I posted.Verry plane lable and diddent look like it was packaged for retail.We would re package alot of one companeys products into other containers for sale as somthing else.When I was there I looked for the MSDS but as usuel there was none.The last I herd they were shut down by OSHA for safty violations.That was one of the reasons I left.I will call and see if I cant get one of my partners in crime to crack open the crate and grab the Bill of ladeing.This is an 8 oz bottle.I can appily it with a tooth pic as it lubes verry well.I put 5 drops on a rag and wipe the guns down and no rust.I appily one time a month.

I use a product called "Sheath" oil. Until this passed year and a few months, my guns never sat longer than 3 to 4 days without shooting or a wiping. Now I check them and wipe them down every couple of weeks. My health and new employment have crippled me down a bit. But I still get about to do some things, with the help of some great friends. :thumbsup:

Back