• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrite Update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I posted some months ago, I have been trying to make some usable pyrites for my three wheellocks.

I have a diamond wetsaw (what a mess!) a diamond handsaw and a set of diamond files but have been unable to produce a single usable pyrite.

Does anyone cut these for sale? I am out of things to try.

Condolences! I have accumulated pyrite for years, but never tried to cut it myself except using a core saw on diamond drill core.
When I do cut for wheellocks, I have waiting a Dremel diamond cutting disk, and a jewellers saw. Probably will try a coping saw first.
But my suggestion is go to a mineral specimen workshop, and find someone with a full size diamond saw. They cut rocks especially diamond core all the time, and mineralisation includes lots of massive pyrite.
OH! Just remembered the thin section and polished section cutting saws; perhaps 1mm disks, water cooled, and can be set to thicknesses so that repeatable slabs are doable.
So my big chunks will go into a saw like that.

Last edited:
FWIW I agree diamond wheels or ANY cutting of pyrite can/will make a mess! Here's what I use, using these THIN diamond wheel used in a Dremel tool. I got a (30) piece kit for only $16 shipped from eBay. Check them out ...

Tips
1)
Wear a mask! Not a dust mask, but a good NIOSH-rated particulate mask! This debris is deadly; think of all the ads you see for lawsuits from asbestos removal, mesothelioma et al

2) Wear long sleeves and nitrile gloves ... or your hands will be black ... it's really amazing the amount of fine dust generated!

3) Work outside with a breeze or strong wind to your back

4) I carefully hold the cube to be cut in vice grips, snug - but not tight (it could fracture the piece - with the jaws lined with thin leather. I cut a deep groove around all 4 faces and then they just snap apart cleanly or a cold chisel or even a slotted screwdriver bit will cleave them. You'll get the hang of it!

1725368549775.png

If you get stuck ... I could send you a few cut pieces ... just give me an idea of the size needed.

FWIW I agree diamond wheels or ANY cutting of pyrite can/will make a mess! Here's what I use, using these THIN diamond wheel used in a Dremel tool. I got a (30) piece kit for only $16 shipped from eBay. Check them out ...

Tips
1)
Wear a mask! Not a dust mask, but a good NIOSH-rated particulate mask! This debris is deadly; think of all the ads you see for lawsuits from asbestos removal, mesothelioma et al

2) Wear long sleeves and nitrile gloves ... or your hands will be black ... it's really amazing the amount of fine dust generated!

3) Work outside with a breeze or strong wind to your back

4) I carefully hold the cube to be cut in vice grips, snug - but not tight (it could fracture the piece - with the jaws lined with thin leather. I cut a deep groove around all 4 faces and then they just snap apart cleanly or a cold chisel or even a slotted screwdriver bit will cleave them. You'll get the hang of it!

View attachment 346470

If you get stuck ... I could send you a few cut pieces ... just give me an idea of the size needed.

Thank you gentlemen, I plan to have another go at it this weekend.
I consulted some lapidary forums as to the proper use of a diamond wetsaw. The Polish guys at Old Guard also gave me some tips...wish me luck!

Just get a matchlock- it’s way easier and saves wear and tear on your expensive wheel lock….🤣🤣🤣

I've gotten usable pyrites for my pistols by taking my bag of pyrite crystals (gotten from China on eBay) and spreading them out on the concrete garage floor and lightly hitting the larger ones with a hammer. I then pick out the pieces that are rectangular in shape and about the right size.

You get lots of "wastage" but the bags of pyrite crystals are fairly cheap. Certainly cheaper than buying lapidary saws and equipment

Back