• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit Kits!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about assembling rabbits..., get it? Rabbit "kits"...assembling...never mind...

We have several adult rabbits in the neighborhood, AND I found two baby rabbits, aka "kits" when I was mowing yesterday...

NO I didn't turn them into a chipper-shredder by-product...saw them before anything messy happened... but the problem is I don't need rabbits near my garden, the wife doesn't want them near the flowers, but they are dang cute and the wife and the daughter don't want them harmed. They are both the about the size of a baseball, so they're not super young.

Besides...baby rabbits should not be done away with, nor fall victim to the mower, nor should they become the pray of neighborhood cats...they should be allowed to become full grown and fat and then fall prey to a .40 caliber flintlock... in say, October! :grin:

So I'm going to have to live with them, and transport them in August when they are big enough (I will have to make some box traps) to the state park where hunting is allowed. That will give them a couple of months to get aquainted with the new area and if the fox don't get them then maybe in 2015 (want to be sure the lawn chemicals are all out of them) I might hunt them. :grin:

LD

:haha: When you said "Rabbit Kits" I was expecting photos of .32 cals & Smoothbores, Game bags & haversacks, Basset hounds & beagles. Not a story about baby bunnies :)

You need my Golden Retriever in your yard. Once saw her sniffing around in some high grass. Next thing I knew she has this baby rabbit (like the size of two baseballs) hanging out of her mouth and it's squealing head first in. I told her to drop it, and she did....well at least the body! Head went down whole in one swallow! :shocked2:

Same thing happened to us last spring. We don't have a garden to be concerned about, so we left them alone and had a grand time watching them grow up in the back yard. I entertained myself by taking many, many photos of the mother and babies, like this one of a kit nursing.

Spence

My Boykin retrieved a couple of baby rabbits from a gopher hole. She brought me one, deposited the unharmed rabbit in my hand and did a repeat. I praised her and put them back in the gopher hole. However, this is how she brings a shot rabbit in.

Cottontails are a staple in our house, but are caught in the winter in the woods in back. As soon as the first snow reveals their "routes", the "loops" are set and twice during the night they're checked.

This past winter was good for the freezer, but a problem arose....the foxes and coyotes also got their share of "my" rabbits.

Bought a large jaw trap which caught only a possum...have to hone my trapping skills a bit if any of the "marauders" are to be caught......Fred

IF worse-comes-to-worse, I'll send you some fox and d'possum recipes! :wink: :haha:

The look on the dogs face to me says, "he could have shot a duck at least, this thing has fleas".

"I was breed to retrieve ducks, if he wanted a rabbit dog, he should gotta beagle".

I eat most "things" but eating a prehistoric animal such as an "ugly possum" is stretching it a bit. Possibly could eat a possum if it weren't for that tail....Fred

Actually, she likes them all but she prefers furred game over feathered. She used to like to antagonize snakes until Tri-tronics and I cured her.

I had never heard of the breed before, they look interesting.

I looked at the Rescue website, none in my area.

I am considering getting a dog again and would really like to find a rescue dog.

flehto said:
I eat most "things" but eating a prehistoric animal such as an "ugly possum" is stretching it a bit. Possibly could eat a possum if it weren't for that tail....Fred
That's a historically correct attitude, Fred. William N. Blane, _An Excursion through the United States and Canada, during the Years 1822-3_, while traveling through Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois:

"Great numbers of Opossums are caught in the woods which surround the spring. This curious animal is eaten by many, and esteemed a delicacy. It is always very fat; and "possum fat and hommony" is a favourite dish with Western and Southern negroes. I had several times resolved to taste a piece of possum, having been assured that it was as good as young pig; but just before putting a morsel into my mouth, the thought of the animal's long, naked prehensile tail, was sure to turn my stomach."

Spence

flehto said:

I was talking with my Grandmother about cooking squirrels and recipes many years ago.

She made a comment that at the end of the Depression there were no animals left in the woods.

Puzzled, I asked her, where did they go, she said we ate them. Skin a coon as see how hungry you are.

I had a neighbor in East Texas who never ever turned off his Crock Pot. If he killed anything, opposum, coon, rabbit, or any critter, it went in the Crock Pot along with what was harvested from the garden.

" but just before putting a morsel into my mouth, the thought of the animal's long, naked prehensile tail, was sure to turn my stomach.""

I showed up at the ranch on a Saturday afternoon to see my brother and a bunch of is fraternity brother's having a BBQ.

I asked what's for supper, they said armadillo.

Ever seen an armadillo tail?

At any rate I told them that armadillo's carry
leprosy, enjoy your supper, I am going to Dairy Queen. They headed out to get chicken.

My dog used to catch baby jackrabbits quite often and I would just let them go. She once brought home a full grown cottontail and I killed that and ate it, and one time she caught a quail and proudly carried it in her mouth when she walked down to the mailbox with me, a quarter mile each way.

I like tree rat, bunnies and coon, Dont mind beaver wood chuck and woods rat. Tried gopher,did not find it too bad. I could not get through a bowl of fox. Many times I have toold myself to try possum, but by the time I got the skin off I couldn't bring myself to put it in the pot.Never have even tried to open an armadillo.
Was 6 days with out eating on a trek through utah, and 4 days with a pinched belly in wyoming.I wouldn't say I wouldn't try 'possum, But I aint ever been so hungry I was tempted.

Eatin' possum is a treat in parts of the deep South. Catch a possum and feed it sweet potatoes for a few weeks. Kill it, scald it like a hog to remove the hair, gut it, and place in a bed of coals until the skin splits open and fat starts running out. It's supposed to be delicious.

The only possum I ever ate, I skinned and gutted it, cut it into sections and cooked with sweet potatoes, onions and carrots.
It was not good enough to ever try again. :td:

"The only possum I ever ate, I skinned and gutted it, cut it into sections and cooked with sweet potatoes, onions and carrots.
It was not good enough to ever try again."

When I was talking with my Grandmother about cooking "critters" I told her that when I cooked squirrels that I fried them. They were like eating a bag of rubber bands, she said that I was cooking them wrong.

If you skin a squirrel and skin a frog and lay them side by side, it's hard to tell them apart.

Guess I have just never been hungry enough to eat some things.

Skinning coons, is like skinning a can of Crisco.

Latest posts

Back