• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rank these powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use wano ppp and goex when i can get it swiss cost to much here in oz,i find the wano ppp is very good powder. the goex cartridge is prity good in the muzzloaders as well.
bernie :thumbsup:

According to the HornadyManual #23( Yeah, I know its old, but so am I!) FFg powder should pass through 16 meshes per inch, but not pass through 24 meshes per inch; FFFg should pass throu 24 inches per inch, but not through 46 meshes per inch. FFFFg powder should pass through 46 meshes per inch, but not through 60 meshes per inch( although as long as its only being used for priming powder, I don't see the need to sort to this degree.)

I found a note that you can buy the screen wires from[url] Mcmasters.com[/url]. These are 12" x 12" screens, which should be big enough to handle sifting a can of powder at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul,

The 2F as 16 to 24 mesh is pre-WWII. As is the 46 mesh screen for the 3F.

At one time the powder industry used some weird screen sizes. They then shifted over to sizes that were commonly used in a number of industries.

Up until WWII a lot of powder plant powder screening was done with silk screens for the smaller screen sizes. Now the industry uses mainly stainless steel screens. I have had brass screening turn brittle and break with use with bp.

Based on that, I would recommend that you buy two screens, the first having 20 mesh to screen out FFg, and the other having 40 mesh to screen FFFg powder. Anything smaller than that can be used as priming powder.

That should simplify the process for anyone, and let us try sifting powders to see the effect on SDV on our chronographs.

Now lets go back to talking about rating the powders. Price has always been the determinant to me, so I have not tried the more expensive powders.

J>R> I just looked it up on Google, and if you type in[url] www.mcmasters.com[/url], you should get the on-line catelogue. If you look down the index page and find screen, click on it, and then you can choose brass, or stainless steel or a number of other metals they use to make wire mesh. I just checked on brass, and they can do 12, 24, and 36 inch screens. 20 x 20, and 40x 40 seem to be the right sizes to produce FFFg, and FFFFg powder respectively. They have an 800 number you can call to place your order.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Graf's that I shot up was when it first came out. Comparing it to Goex at that time, Graf's would win in my opinion. MadMonk has indicated that Goex has increased their velocity since then. I was very shocked to see people rating the Graf's so low these days.

And the funny part about that is that Graf's is just Schuetzen in another container.

There is literally no difference between the 2.

1. Swiss - great stuff but you pay a great price.

2. KIK - I give this a slight edge over GOEX because of the price and it burns a little cleaner.

3. GOEX - Old faithful. The only reason it's a little lower on the list than KIK is that it is a little more pricey. I would use either with no hesitation.

Elephant - Won't even rate it. I used a pound of it that I won at a shoot. Shoots alright but a little underpowered. Cruds up like you wouldn't believe. I redonated all the other cans I have won for prizes in other shoots.

Schuetzen - Graf's - Haven't tried it but have heard good things about it.

Wano - Have not tried it myself but a couple of people in the club swear by it.

Back