• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raw wool instead of flax tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well if you need exact quotes saying "we used wool" you are not likely going to find it and you are being a little pedantic

Why would he bring up wool in the first place and say that felt and soft brown paper were preferable if no one was using it?!

The very way he speaks of it in his writing indicates it was likely a common practice to use wool. Otherwise he is just the idiot talking about a thing no one was doing in the first place.

When looking at historical documents sometimes one must read between the lines and use a little common sense. And I know that it is a rare commodity and all that but just do some simple extrapolation here!
The only question I would have about using raw wool would be the source. Wool was salable where as tow was a waste product, and there was Spanish moss, grass, worn out cloth ect available.
Howsomever we read of Boone buying the best Irish linen for patching. And small shot was sold on the frontier. In terms of cost, killing a deer with a hundred pounds plus of meat cost the same as a rabbit with one pound or a turkey with ten.
So any thing shot with shot was expensive, but they were doing it on the frontier where cost really mattered.
Thus the cost of raw wool might not have been a factor
Just some thoughts.

You read the Spanish moss thing I read. Lol I think I read what you read somewhere.

They just new how load it.

Does squirrel skin work? Just thinking of dinner and what to do with the rest. You know.. allot of skins no I wouldn't use because its value but you know something like the squirrel? Etc.

Depends where you are. Date. Gender. Age. specifics

If you have a field of corn next to a field of nice tobacco fresh thick leaves next to a field of cotton next to a field of soybeans..

I kid or women might need an easy load to use.

1729. First brought here.

1765. First crop planted. First intro to American colonies. Georgia..

It took off though 1900s

they weren't called soybeans till around 1804s

Specifics.. would need Specifics.

Last edited:
That's hemp stuff

That's no good. As you can see no one would use that.

To expensive I think anyway. For $45 you better get a big bag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004_185531_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_185531_Chrome.jpg
    789.4 KB
Last edited:
Hemp is funny..

you pack that good you can't draw air threw it.. A Donkey packed bowl..

Cotton.. wool.. you can pack that all you want it will draw air like a filter..

Wool and or cotton. Not a wind breaker material.

Hemp was like there plastic back then. It's Strong stuff too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back