• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

reccoon hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a really good Place to do some coon hunting and I was thinking about using my percussion or my flint 50 cal with a light load and a patched round ball and just seeing what I can do and just getting different people's opinion thanks

It can be done with a .50 with ease. If you're good enough to make head shots and hunt in an area that allows you to make overhead shots...cause they will go up if they sense danger. A .50 might be destructive on body hits, depending on velocity...all depends on your marksman abilities! :wink: :thumbsup:

The only problem is the range and momentum of a large ball at high trajectory; be careful where you shoot. My brother in his youth put a small bore bullet through the kitchen window of a lady across the woods from us while shooting at a squirrel. The window was above the sink where she was standing washing dishes! :shocked2: The bullet made a nice dent in her refrigerator. :shake: Needless to say our father, the lady, the Law and the refrigerator were not pleased. The window was terminal :td: Tree.

Best year I ever had at Coon Hunting was 47 Coon killed with 49 shots from my Ruger Mark 1 Target Pistol. Now I know this part is against forum rules, BUT it does apply to using a .50 BP Rifle.

I saw hides that people turned in to the fur buyers with .22, .25-20, .30-30 and other caliber holes including shotgun calibers. They preferred the .22 cal. holes as long as there were not many of them in the hide and the prices for hides with larger holes went down significantly with how damage there was to the hide and face.

So if you want to just kill the Coon and maybe eat it, a .50 Caliber is fine, but if you want to either sell or use the hide, then I don't recommend it and recommend a .22 cal. instead.

Gus

Coon hides are worth money if prime. I wouldn't recommend a 50 cal for coon for that reason. Nor is shooting up in the air with a big bore a good idea.

I talk to a trapper around here he said coon hide are not worth much so that why i kind was thinking about trying it. I am thinking about getting a 32 but I cant afford at the moment.

Well the 50 caliber is sort of overkill but with a light powder charge you ought to be okay. As stated you need to be aware of what's beyond your target. That applies to any firearm.
Fur prices have finally started to come down. Top coon might be $20-30 but that is jumbos from Northern States and prime (Early Winter). A lot of pelts have no value at all. In some states you'll get about $8-10 for the meat if it is legal to sell and a head shot would probably be best.

I'm hunting in the river bottoms on a nwr ( national wildlife refuge) so there nothing but swamps and more swamps so i know there no houses for miles. My uncle who lives in central Missouri said in the 80s he would trap some there some big coons up there around there real small or at at lease the ones I've seen thanks

There are always going to be safety police types telling you not to shoot into trees (there might also be a ricochet) but it sounds to me like you ought to be okay. On the fur issue, early in the year the hides (leather part) will be dark and not prime, after some cold weather there is fat and the hide is lighter and the fur nice and thick. As winter wears on the fur gets rubbed, the coons get in fights and there are bite marks, etc. so....from a fur trapping standpoint you want the fur after its been cold enough to prime up but that's it. Coon are not alone in this, otter gets a singed aspect later in the winter- I think some other fur bearer does as well. Most of the guys with coon hounds, etc. probably are out before optimal fur quality time although I think they usually sell the fur any way.
It looks like there might be a glut of fur on the market due to the high prices the last few years. When there is a glut the low end stuff becomes worthless, maybe sell it to the craft industry. So, have fun. Having fun is important. :grin:

I would also advise you to check your game laws. Here in Michigan there are some regs regarding caliber, depending on season.

Back when a .50 was all I had, it got used on everything from squirrel on up to deer and hogs. Just either lighten up on the powder charge or be VERY picky on your shot placement so you don't lose the meat or the fur. Aside from that, make sure you're legal and stay safe. And best of luck!

I check in my twra book it said muzzleloader .36 and up deer elk furbearers and all other small game under .36 just furbearers and all other small game. Only thing its says about the .36 and larger I have to be a license big game hunter to use it which I am thanks

Since shooting will mostly be UP, I'd opt for a .32 or at most a .36 and load it up with some power. These light balls don't travel as far as a .22LR or have as much energy/velocity at their terminus. Coons are tough but a .32/.36 can do a job on them.

Coons can easily be taken with modern .22s and shotguns with 7 1/2 shot. They don't require much to do them in. Anything you have on hand will work. If it's a .50 just lower the charge.

a 50 cal makes a big hole and not sure a fur buyer would take it. My buyer will only allow one hole 22 or smaller, but he doesn't punish me for a 36 caliber hole or smaller. If selling the fur is the plan talk to fur buyers before you make a half inch hole in the hide.

I'm really not wanting to sell the hides ill just want some to hang around and just try it. I am wanting a 32 or 36 I havent found one yet

Back