• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for first flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw a TC Flinter for sale in the classified section here. I believe the price was $250 and it included shipping. Check it out I could be wrong.

Rat, Let me pile on here a bit, 'cause you pushed back on 'bring side' indicating you didn't get it.
That is the problem, you said "the dark side", so that means you think in your heart that people who shoot "modern" or non-flint or non round ball are in some way un-elighten, not heading the right way..... or some other non encouraging connotation. That statement is NOT true. We are all just shooters or hunters, we are all just trying to learn from the feet of 'masters' (folks with wisdom in this sport). That is all. Cayund gave another choice, which fits me perfect, I want something easy to clean (so removeable breach plug) in a flinter. To me this is not "dark side", it is what VARIABLES are important to you for your way of shooting. To me ease of cleaning is big deal. Taq.... (can't spell is name, you know him) said he cleans his guns with BOILING water, man that is a lot of work, dangerous and I prefer not to do it. But I am going to try it on my breach plug for my inline--why a master does it and he does it for a reason--and he has given his reason on this forum.

Bottom line Rat, offer wisdom, backed up by your experience and testing not "religion of the black powder flinter". I really appreciate the precision of response by most people on this forum. They are helpful for trying to solve your personal shooting/hunting problem, not offing me black powder religion. Chap Gleason Va

"said he cleans his guns with BOILING water, man that is a lot of work,"

and it is not required to get a clean bore, therein is the issue, the modern stuff all claims greater ease and a higher user friendly factor which generaly is not true just hype.That is why many in the know try to steer folks away from it.

Bottom line Rat, offer wisdom, backed up by your experience and testing not "religion of the black powder flinter". I really appreciate the precision of response by most people on this forum. They are helpful for trying to solve your personal shooting/hunting problem, not offing me black powder religion. Chap Gleason Va

Rat, Do not surcumb to the murmerings of the dark side. we are not all one. Good and evil can not serve the same master just as those walking diferent paths cannot share the same candle!

Avoid them that load from the front only to lengthen their hunting seasons, wrap their bullets in plastic and shoot without sparks. They may hit their targets but their ways are not the ways of the ancestors.

Shun the breechplugs that fall out with ones' fingertips, 211 primers, copper caps that pop and tubes for closer vision.

Keep your heart pure, meditate on the ways of good. Keep your sights iron and your powder black your bullets round and patched with cloth.

Walk the path only known to the true Jedi. Keep the ways of the ancients, and the force be with you.

:master: :master: :master: :master: :master:

Rat, Let me pile on here a bit, 'cause you pushed back on 'bring side' indicating you didn't get it.
That is the problem, you said "the dark side", so that means you think in your heart that people who shoot "modern" or non-flint or non round ball are in some way un-elighten, not heading the right way..... or some other non encouraging connotation. That statement is NOT true. We are all just shooters or hunters, we are all just trying to learn from the feet of 'masters' (folks with wisdom in this sport). That is all. Cayund gave another choice, which fits me perfect, I want something easy to clean (so removeable breach plug) in a flinter. To me this is not "dark side", it is what VARIABLES are important to you for your way of shooting. To me ease of cleaning is big deal. Taq.... (can't spell is name, you know him) said he cleans his guns with BOILING water, man that is a lot of work, dangerous and I prefer not to do it. But I am going to try it on my breach plug for my inline--why a master does it and he does it for a reason--and he has given his reason on this forum.

Chap, I think Rat's comments were just some good natured fun, don't think he meant anything in the world by it of a serious nature...I've belonged to a Trap & Skeet range for 20 years and we have that same sort of friendly banter between the groups of shooters who primarily prefer Skeet and those who primarily prefer Trap...the same phrase is used...after shooting Skeet for years I decided to learn Trap and got the same good natured ribbing from my fellow Skeet enthusiasts..."aahhh, going over to the dark side, eh?"...it's just in jest among ourselves as we sit around together after a shoot, talking about how we did, etc...
:relax: :redthumb:

Thanks for the hint at the PA Pellet, I didn't even know it existed. I went to the Traditions site and looked it over. It doesn't look like a bad little gun, but with a whopping 150gr. magnum Pyrodex limit and pellet loading, I think it's aimed at a market segment I don't belong to.

The Traditions is a nice gun, but 150 grains is the maximum load not a requirement. My daughter's shoots great with 80 grains of 3Fg and a 240 grain Hornady PA conical, and with a 1:48 twist it should be an adequate roundball gun. Even with the removable breech plug and the capability to shoot Pyrodex, the gun is never the less a flintlock. It will shoot any load that a standard flintlock will shoot and then some.

Chap, I think Rat's comments were just some good natured fun...
Ditto. Joking like that goes on all the time here. It's just meant in fun. And since you took offense to it, Ghost jumped on the opportunity to pull your chain a bit. Don't let him get you riled up, either.

Chief Chain Puller reporting for duty sir! :hatsoff:

We've been poking fun at folks since before anyone knew they could shove a 209 primer up their wazoo, sit down hard and burp powder smoke!

This whole sport is so wrapped up around ego and opinion that facts sometimes get lost in the shuffle along with any sense of humor one might have.

The opinions and advisements one receives on the GPR/DP network (excuse me, the forum) are worth every penny one pays for for them! Remember that and you will never be disipointed!

:results:

Chap, for some reason many folks (because they listened to the inline manufactures who are trying to sell a product) make "traditional" guns WAY to difficult to maintain. They are very easy to take care of and IMHO even easier than an inline. I am shooting a couple of very traditional flinters and also cap guns. I have no need or reason to remove the breech plug that the inline manufacture talks about in their one TV ad. There are many ways to clean a gun and many of them are just as good as the next, but just done a little differently because they were taught a little differently. I am shooting a tradional flinter with a barrel that is pinned to the stock. So I remove the lock with it's two mounting screws and scrub it in the sink with warm water and a tooth brush. The barrel gets a snug fitting tooth pick in the vent and warm water down the barrel. A few swipes with a bore brush (NOT a stainless steel brush), dump out the water and do it again till the water runs clear. Then do it with a patch on a jag until the patch comes clean. Use your favorite rust preventative (for me Ballistol) on and in the barrel and the lock. Of course, I take a look at the whole gun to make sure it is protected and clean and that is it. Tomorrow and the day after I will send a lubed patch down the bore to make sure it is not rusting. Total time when you get used to doing this is about 15min. Oh, I may not put the lock back on till the third day, just in case I got some water in the lock area of the stock. Again, nothing against inlines, the manufactures have a product to sell. But, it is much easier for me to clean a traditional gun, than the inlines that their maker advertises. Loose powder is easy to carry and get down the bore and a 50cal. rd. ball weighs 180gr., the same as a 30-30 and just as fast as one too. Is a 30-30 a good dear cal., YES :peace:

I wanted to try hunting with a flintlock. I did not want to spend a lot of money. I kept looking at the little Traditions Deerhunter rifle at Sports Authority. When they sold out their BP stuff, I bought the last two for 50$ each. I sold one of them for 80$ and kept one. It is a cheap gun. It has the same kind of plastic sights that the inlines have. It shoots very well. I shot it enough to get used to it and killed my third biggest buck with it on my very first shot at game using a flintlock . Having said all that, I am looking for a much more correct looking gun with a longer barrel. Actually, this little flinter I have with the plain stock, short barrel, sling swivel, and no fancy anything is probabally pretty close to a lot of barn guns from back then except for the sights. I am looking for better than a barn level gun tho. If you can swing it, buy at least the Lyman or one of the BlueRidge guns if you don't just convert one of your T/C's. CVA used to do the conversion for 18$ plus the price of the lock on their guns that could be converted. I don't know if TC offers that service or not.

The pellet capable flinter was designed to meet two states laws that require a flintlock for hunting, or did when the gun came out. It allowed the newcomer some of the supposed advantages that the people in other states where inlines were legal. It was a hot seller when it first came out.

Amen, for that which is traditional is righteous and good and of the Light. And that which is plastic and stainless, is indeed of the Darkside, although it may appear shiny. And let not your projectiles be elongated, unless they be the truest of Minies, for all else is false.

And leave all such weapons and the fodder thereof to those with senses of humor that are stunted and withered. Perhaps from inhaling the fumes of the unholy Pyrodex and Triple 7.....

"said he cleans his guns with BOILING water, man that is a lot of work,"

and it is not required to get a clean bore, therein is the issue, the modern stuff all claims greater ease and a higher user friendly factor which generaly is not true just hype.That is why many in the know try to steer folks away from it.

You're right, TG :imo: My CVA Magbolt inline with Pyro pellets (or loose T7) was much harder to clean than my Lyman GPR with blackpowder is.

Chapman, Ya have to understand that Rat has sniffed to many Hoppe fumes from cleaning his guns without the aid of good 'ol soapy water. Can't understand why someone with such an aversion to water would live in Rainy Wah. for. :: But The Rat means well, just got to get used to his, and maybe my, sense of humor. :: We josh a lot, but it is all meant in fun. Take care.

Bob J I agree my T/C Black Diamound is a real pain in the butt to clean compaired to any of my flintlocks. :winking: Rocky

Rebel, I am sorry. I was at your Flintlock campfire, and spoke out of place. I didn't realize I was in the flintlock, honest mistake. I saw the link from the "Main Index", clicked into the thread and then forgot where I was.
I feel kind of foolish now, so I will just shut up. Thanks for the stating the heart and intent of your brethern.
Chap Gleason Va

No need to apologize. I was just letting you know that some of us here joke around quite regular, and some of the newer members takes a while for them to figure that out some times. No problemm here, so just forget about it. Take care.

To me ease of cleaning is big deal. Taq.... (can't spell is name, you know him) said he cleans his guns with BOILING water, man that is a lot of work, dangerous and I prefer not to do it. But I am going to try it on my breach plug for my inline--why a master does it and he does it for a reason--and he has given his reason on this forum.

Off topic here but I did not want to be mis-quoted.

::

Hey Chap, be carefull with boiling water. I had a vision of you trying to pour boiling water down the barrel of your rifle with a funnel on top or something. Which would be dangerous. :shocking:

My hot water heater is set really low at 120deg F. Which will work for ML cleaning and I do use hot tap on occassion or if I don't have an opportunity to boil water.

The purpose of the really hot water in the 200+deg temp for cleaning is two fold:
1) Helps to remove lube and fouling better than cold or warm water.
2) Heats the barrel so when it comes time for drying the now hot barrel will help evaporate moisture.

Yes, I do boil about a gallon of water on the stove and then dump 1/2 the water into a bucket with liquid laundry soap in it. Then I put the breech end of the barrel on removeable barrel rifles into the bucket and pump flush with a brush from the muzzle end and then with a wet patch.

On pinned barrel stocks I have a thread-in hose that threads into the barrel bolster or vent. Drop the the hose into the boiled soapy water and pump flush.

Then for flushing I'll rinse the bucket of soap and dump the other 1/2 gallon into the bucket. Pump flush with clean water.

Follow up with a dry patch and an alcohol patch and then the hot barrel will completely dry itself.

Lube as required/desired.

TG, this is not a "modern" technique of cleaning(for me anyway) as I've been using boiled really hot water for ML cleaning for over 35 years.

K?

I use very hot water to clean my guns, too. Maybe not boiling, but almost. And I use it the same way I'd pet a rattlesnake---very, very carefully. A little dish soap, by nature a good degreaser, and a lot of patches. Then I rinse with lots of clean, very hot water and swab dry with more patches. I wipe down the gun with non-petroleum oil and put away. About a week later, I wipe again with just a touch of the oil on a patch. Haven't lost a barrel yet.

* sniff * I'se so proud of you guys. I was out of town and this whole thread barely wobbled in spite of some snags and hang-ups that it bounced over. * sniff *

Hey Chap, be carefull with boiling water. I had a vision of you trying to pour boiling water down the barrel of your rifle with a funnel on top or something. Which would be dangerous.

That's right. You should always plug the vent and wrap a towel over your gloved barrel hand when you do this. :winking:

As far as dark-side/light-side: it ain't what's in yer hand, it's what's in yer heart. We leave the lamp lit here for them as finds their own way in.

In the words of Jebediah F. Kennedy: "We do these things, not because they are easy, but because we ain't quite right in the head".

Latest posts

Back