• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for first flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Thompson/Center Pennsylvania Hunter, (28" barrel, rifle) (21" barrel, carbine), are also great flinters. They are a 1 in 66" twist, for roundballs, which is traditional for a flintlock. I have the carbine, and it is fun to shoot, and handy, and light weight to carry, hunting.

A Thompson/Center Pennsylvania Hunter, (28" barrel, rifle) (21" barrel, carbine), are also great flinters. They are a 1 in 66" twist, for roundballs, which is traditional for a flintlock. I have the carbine, and it is fun to shoot, and handy, and light weight to carry, hunting.

I wanted to find one of those very badly, and I don't think T/C makes them any longer. I ended up with a .58 caliber Renegade from Fox Ridge instead.

I would like to suggest at this point that anyone looking for a first flinter check out Fox Ridge Outfitters and then ask a local dealer to procure the gun for them. I got my Renegade for $330 by going about it in that way.

I wanted to find one of those very badly, and I don't think T/C makes them any longer.

Here's a new percussion model:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32186092

Thanks, Roundball. That's a nice looking gun. Only problem is that I live in PA. It's gotta be a flinter.

Thanks, Roundball. That's a nice looking gun. Only problem is that I live in PA. It's gotta be a flinter.

I didn't how bad you wanted one and thought I'd mention it since it's still a new one...figured you might be willing to get it then sell the cap lock and barrel and/or convert the barrel to flint.

Similiar example:
TC no longer makes a .45cal x 1:66" round ball barrel for the Hawken, so just this week I sent them a percussion barrel to swap breechplugs to make it a flint barrel

That does sound like a good idea. Now I have to decide whether I want to do that or go ahead and get a .62 cal smoothbore barrel for my Renegade.

I'd like to do both of course, but at the moment it'd be one or the other. I am also trying to talk a friend of mine into selling his Seneca that he hasn't fired in 12 years or so. The gun is in excellent shape with a bright bore and very sharp rifling, any idea what would be a fair offer?

TC no longer makes a .45cal x 1:66" round ball barrel for the Hawken, so just this week I sent them a percussion barrel to swap breechplugs to make it a flint barrel

How much do they charge for that service? If I had this gun I'd like to keep the roundball barrel. Do you know if the Renegade lock will fit the Pa hunter?

How much do they charge for that service? If I had this gun I'd like to keep the roundball barrel. Do you know if the Renegade lock will fit the Pa hunter?

1) $85 to swap breechplugs, reblue the barrel, ship it back to me;
2) Yes, except for the earlier, smaller Seneca & Cherokee locks, all TC side locks are the same size, same size lock mortise, same internal parts, etc

Latest posts

Back