• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renaissance Wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A long time ago when I was collecting Ancient Roman coins I came across a product produced by the British Museum called Renaissance Wax which was used to stop metal products from continuing to age. It, allegedly, had the ability to be absorbed into metal to a certain degree rather than to just lay a superficial coat on the outside surface..
It seemed to work on both my coins and a couple rifle barrels.

If you are one of those folks who is proud of the appearance of your fifes and don't want them to fade as time passes by, you might want to look into that.

When you are involved in Dialysis you spend a lot of time sporting bandages so I was at Walgrewwn's looking for bulk cotton.The young maiden took me to the cosmetic area and handed me a plastic wrapped burrito shaped 8 inch long packet that being essentially blind to most written words I happily paid for and carried home where I soon learned was "Organic Cotton Rounds apparently intended for the application and/pr removal of cosmetic but which might appeal to you folks who are into precut shooting or wiping patches. There are a lot of them for for 4 bucks.. They seem to be flannel but may be too thick.
As my use of cosmetics is minimal these will sit unused till I begin going in that direction.

All the things we can use in our sport are not all found in Gun Shops
Some Australians have enjoyed explosions of their metal powder flasks and had caused them to develo leather powder flasks which the Sun apparently can't heat to ignition temperature.
I made severalsuch flsks in the shape of fish but have given them all away so cannot illustrate

There are so many things one can do in connection with the sport besides making noise and smoke.
Peace

Dutch

Some Australians have enjoyed explosions of their metal powder flasks and had caused them to develo leather powder flasks which the Sun apparently can't heat to ignition temperature.

I thought that black powder ignited at 801°F and the flash point was 867°F. Are their powder containers getting that hot? :shocked2:

:idunno:

LD

Started using Renaissance wax on my antique Winchesters and Colts many years ago. Stuff works great. Also use it on a few modern rifles that are seldom fired.

How Timely Dutch..!!
I recently returned from Friendship (NMLRA Spring Shoot) where I chatted with Jim Chambers on a variety of topics, including how to protect my rifle's finish. He also recommends Renaissance Wax. I just received my first can and am anxious to give it a try.
Ordered through Amazon, and had it in 2 days.

I have half a can left. A little goes a long long way.
Defiitly not a nescessity/ Only for the persnicity..
I wasn't sure it was still available
I put it on my gun barrels and meta; parts and forgot about it.

Dutch

Yair, well our Summers get hot enough to melt the wheelwrights of car wheels, and that is a cool Summers day, I won't even speak of Summer here in Western Australia.

Cheers

Heelerau

Jim Supica the directer of the NRA National Firearms Museum recommended we use Renaissance Wax when we were cleaning the firearms at Saunders Memorial Museum. It did such a good job that it's all I have used on my own firearms since '85.

Howdy!
Have been using Ren Wax for years on guns! It's especially good for knives as well (and their leather sheaths).
As for those cotton rounds, they make a fine char cloth, by the way!
Hope your health improves, sir!

I ordered a tin the other day and waiting for it to arrive.

Do you use in in the bore as well?

thanks

fleener

No, I don't put it in the bore, rather the entire metal exterior.
(With my knives, I coat everything; blade, handle, and sheath).

As for what it can be used on, the label mentions furniture, leather, paintings, metals, marble, ivory etc.

Richard Eames said:
Is the wax not meant for wood?
Renaissance Wax is a brand of microcrystalline wax polish that is encountered in antique restoration and museum conservation. It is not appropriate for all materials, and is most safely used on metal objects. However, it is also used for the polish and conservation of organic materials such as wood, ivory, tortoiseshell, and gemstones. Renaissance Wax is sometimes used by reenactors of historic swordsmanship to protect armor and weapons. Waxes are more protective and longer-lasting than oil, especially for swords and helmets that are frequently touched by human hands. It has recently been introduced in the world of guitar building, as a finish that protects and gives colour to the wood.

Wax coatings for conservation are most widely, and least controversially, applied to metals. This has several objectives: to produce a barrier that excludes moisture and oxygen from the metal surface, to ensure against further introduction of contaminating elements by handling, and to provide a protective layer over anti-corrosion undercoatings. Waxes are not permanent, though, and will attract dust and lint over time, necessitating removal of the dirty wax.

Guess I made another mistake in life, I do not have a can to read from.

Geeze, at least I do not stick brushes in barrels.

Geeze, at least I do not stick brushes in barrels.

You left off one word,,,Yet WHEN it happens just look around and if anyone see it happen,just make like it was on purpose so you would have a "Teaching Moment"
I on the other hand have never stuck a brush in a barrel,,but I have had a"Teaching Moment"this year,but year is young and sighting in, so just a matter of time.
But like I was told, by my Grandson,"Poop Occurs"

No, I never used the Renaissance wax anywhere but on exterior surfaces. I always kept my bores saturated with WD 40. between sessions at the range.
Never showed signs of rust after years storage in humid conditions.

Dutch Schoultz

I've used it on highly-polished steel CF firearms, like a Colt Python. Not only did it protect the pistol from rust, you couldn't leave a fingerprint on the gun after its application.

My MLs don't have such a highly polished finish on the steel and I haven't tried to use it, but I think it would work. I just grease them down with oil.

Latest posts

Back