• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renaissance Wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using Renisance for many years on all of my guns on the wood and metal. No issues so far unless I happened to miss a spot.

We find Renaissance to have a number of uses around the shop, many of them already mentioned. We also find Renaissance to be an excellent mold release when doing fiberglass repairs to wood to prevent the metal parts from adhering to the repairs, We also use it as a final coating to refinished blue and brown parts. The only caveat I would mention is to be cautious around new "green" wood finish as the solvent in the wax can lift the finish- well cured finishes don't seem to be affected . cheers!

I prefer Birchwood Casey's 'Sheath' on metal, but like the luster that the Renaissance Wax brings out in fine firearm wood - really shows the chatoyance if you have a piece of highly figured tiger stripe maple, for example.

To me, it would be a waste to use it on metal ... especially when a liquid will cover better.

Just to make sure everyone is aware, Renaissance Wax is the standard for knife makers on their blades.

Flint62Smoothie said:
To me, it would be a waste to use it on metal ... especially when a liquid will cover better.

Better? Eh, I don't know about "better". More easily, possibly but I wouldn't say better. Renaissance Wax is about the best thing you can use on the outside of your guns....and other things, as well.

I too use Ren-wax on the entire exterior of all my muzzleloader's. It doesn't produce wax buildup like other waxes. A very little amount is all that is needed to detail the entire firearm. I use quality gun oil to lubricate all interior moving parts. Also use BC Barricade for the bore as the final step in my cleaning routine.

Renaissance wax may be a little pricey but so is the muzzleloader you're using it on! To each his own though. As for me, it's Ren-wax all the way!

Respectfully, Cowboy

I like the idea of wax, and use the Ren-Wax on rifles because I'm afraid that oil will penetrate the wood. I've seen a lot of old firearms, where the stock is soaked and ruined by oil.

Ren-Wax for me too.

Back