• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled 8 gauge, or other big bore???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretchman25

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find information on rifled big bore muzzleloaders. I am kicking around the idea of making a rifled 8 bore and am looking for any possible information.

Thanks Todd

Todd....Pedersoli makes a 12 bore rifle. Sold by Dixie Gun Works. Have you read any of the old accounts by 1800's African hunters? Without exception, all of them noted the SEVERE RECOIL in their writings. Be prepared to have your bell rung with a rifle of that size. Also, how many buyers do you think it would appeal to if you ever had to sell it? cheers Paul

Have you read any of the old accounts by 1800's African hunters? Without exception, all of them noted the SEVERE RECOIL in their writings. Be prepared to have your bell rung with a rifle of that size.

Along with the threat of cornea separation. I wouldn't risk my eyes to shoot any gun.

October country used to sell 4 & 8 bore rifles too. Not sure if they still do or not.

I have a beautiful custom 4-gauge rifle from the Gun Works. I've purchased several guns from them and have always been happy with each.

Sekiar... I am on the verge of placing an order for their 8 gauge. What has your experience been with shooting the 4 gauge?

Thanks

stretchman25 said:
Does anyone know where I can find information on rifled big bore muzzleloaders. I am kicking around the idea of making a rifled 8 bore and am looking for any possible information.

Thanks Todd

Ever been kicked by a mule? Be prepared, it aint a squirrel rifle! :blah: :rotf:

Stretchman, I bought a .69 cal., straight taper, from Oregon barrel company. Its my next project. Nice folks to work with. Prior to this, the biggest gun I had made was a 12 ga. fowler, that I shoot shot, and round ball from. Based on that gun, I know one thing at least. Architecture is everything! If you want a pleasant, (relatively) shooting gun, you have to get that right. A wide flat butt plate is a must. I would suggest looking at Jaeger, and English Sporting rifles to get an idea what I mean, also TOW sells plans for English Sporting rifles, they are fairly inexpensive, you don't have to copy them exactly, but the architecture is tried and true. Good luck!
Robby

I had an English style rifle with a 30" straight octagon barrel in .69 caliber. Recoil wasn't really that bad, but you have to keep in mind that I did not use it in competition. It was shot a few times throughout the year mostly around deer season. I realy don't plan on putting a lot of rounds through an 8 gauge either, so I am not concerned a whole lot about recoil. It will probally only be used after a hard day at work when I am wanting to "froget the days events".

I'm sorry but I've never shot the gun. I need a mold for a round ball and just haven't found one yet. The rifle is heavy and I don't see a problem shooting it unless too much powder is used. When I do get some round balls I plan on starting out with about 200 Gr of FF and go from there. It's my quarter pounder with lot's of beef.

stretchman25 said:

Thanks Todd

Unless you are going to Africa an 8 bore is really a waste of time. They also use lead at a frightening rate. Powder too needing probably 200 grains or more. Rifle will need to weight about 13-14 pounds to be reasonable. Look into what the original rifle weighed. They were as light as was feasible. 4 bores needed to be 20 pounds+.
A 12 or 16 bore will do for anything in America but with a 140-180 grains of powder they are not much fun to shoot a lot off the bench and a standing bench is the best way to rest rifles much over 12 bore. Need about 30% of ball weight to shoot flat to 120 yards or so.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/vintage6.htm
Shows videos of shooting 4 and 8 bore cartridge doubles. But a 8 bore ML is about the same since the "bullets" shot by these cartridge guns were little more than RBs.

16 bore rifle 1 ounce ball at about 1650 FPS 150 gr of FF Swiss.

P1020015lr.jpg

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Robby's comments.
As he point out stock design is CRITICAL.

TOWs *original* Purdy plan has an exellent stock layout.
This rifle has extremely good recoil characteristics and is virtually identical to the Purdy plan. It weighs about 10 pounds.

P1020561.jpg

This is a place to look for a English style sporting rifle. I would want a barrel about like the dimensions in the Purdy print for a 12 bore, however. They might make 8 bore barrels do not know.
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?ProductID=127&do=detail&Cat2Option=yes

Many of these makers, Pacific anyway, shoot FAR more powder than was used back in the day in a 20 or 12 bore rifle.
My 16 bore with a Nock breech starts to show significant decline in velocity gain per grain of powder at about 150 grains even with Swiss powder.
It also shoots WW balls as well if not better than lead.
Playing with loads at 60 yards, 3 shot groups. The heavy felt wad under the ball did not work. W-W load is as good as I could shoot with barrel sights.

DSC03225.jpg

This is one WW ball, one lead ball and one lead ball unpatched in a paper cartridge with the paper forming the patch. The paper cartridge shot is the middle one. This was 50 yards.
DSC03691_2.jpg

This rifle has an 80" twist with 8 very narrow lands.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sekiar said:
I'm sorry but I've never shot the gun. I need a mold for a round ball and just haven't found one yet. The rifle is heavy and I don't see a problem shooting it unless too much powder is used. When I do get some round balls I plan on starting out with about 200 Gr of FF and go from there. It's my quarter pounder with lot's of beef.

http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm

Nice moulds excellent service. Mine arrived very quickly.
Any size you want. No sprue cutter though but side cutters work OK.
Dan

My .69 rifle is only a dinky little 14 bore :redface: but I still wonder if it's gonna give me shaken baby syndrome.

Stretchman---I hear ya. An 8 bore will provide some definite after work entertainment and stress relief (as long as you don't take it too seriously). Big bore guns are a hoot. And as you stated you do not intend on shooting it a TON so get what you want (or build it) and enjoy. I load my 4 bore from 70 grains of black and 2 ounces of shot (for my girlfriend and guests to try) up to 160 grains of black an a quarter pound round ball! BIG FUN! FOR ME!

Latest posts

Back