• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust protection.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a good and thorough cleaning, I fill all of my bores with molten beeswax to the muzzle. No air, no rust, right? A solid blast from the air nozzle to the fire hole pushes it all out like a missile. You gotta have a fast twist, though, if you want to stabilize it.

OK.
Hot water dissolves salts quicker and more thorough but heyho if it touches a nerve....
I normally use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol in the bore and around the lock with good results. After the alcohol evaporates I follow up with diluted Ballistol or Break Free or Hoppe’s #9.
I use plain water on occasion, but not very often. During a shooting session cotton patches soaked with saliva are quick and easy, and work superbly.

Back