• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

seating caps on revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Remmy you can always pull the cylinder after it's loaded, cap it, and then reinstall. Not so easy with a Colt.

NO you can't :nono: , at least not at any range that I belong to! It's considered a huge safety violation to have a loaded and capped cylinder rolling around on a table and then dropping onto the ground/rocks at the range, and BOOOOOM!! :shake:

Capping is done at the firing line only!

Dave

I only said you could do it, not that it was allowable in all circumstances or even recommended, for that matter! Check with your rangemaster for specifics!!
If you're out in the back 40 plinking, I don't see a problem.....

I use my Ted Cash inline capper for everything I own.Setting the caps on the Pietta 1863 Remmie is easy,but sliding the capper off the cap is a pain.I have had the spring clip come off and caps fall on the ground if I forget to keep my thumb on the clip as I pull the capper away from the pistol.
I may take a dremel and open up the nipple area a bit.

forums.gif
DANGER USING THESE WEAPONS CAN BE FUN :rotf:

How many times has anyone had a cap go off by pushing it on with their thumb? These guns have been around for 150 years. Who has written about it happening? I have never seen or known anyone who has had this happen. Most of this comes from the little lawyer letter shipped with new imports. Always cap using a capper to avoid damages to your hands. :haha:

redwing said:
forums.gif

How many times has anyone had a cap go off by pushing it on with their thumb? These guns have been around for 150 years. Who has written about it happening? I have never seen or known anyone who has had this happen. Most of this comes from the little lawyer letter shipped with new imports. Always cap using a capper to avoid damages to your hands. :haha:

Yeah,

That's the same letter that says to use only 15 grains of powder in a revolver that will hold up to 35 WITH a wonder-wad :shake: Between that and the armchair quarterbacks that collect guns and never shoot them, but repeat what they've read somewhere, this hobby does get a little "advise-laden".

Hi Dave
So true. You can read these post and spot the arm chair shooters. :haha: They really don't shoot that much or at all. :shake: They are like news reporters if it "Bleeds it Leads", :(

:thumbsup: I'm with you!

I gotta go and clean my Walker now, so "You've got the Con" XO! :haha: . Maintain course and speed, but be prepared for aerial depth charge :shocked2: :bow:

smokin .50 said:
redwing said:
forums.gif

Yeah,

That's the same letter that says to use only 15 grains of powder in a revolver that will hold up to 35 WITH a wonder-wad :shake: Between that and the armchair quarterbacks that collect guns and never shoot them, but repeat what they've read somewhere, this hobby does get a little "advise-laden".

Never had a cap go off while pushing on with thumb in well over 30 years shooting various cap and ball revolvers. Read in Elmer Keith's book "Sixguns" that he had a cap go off while capping a 1851 Colt Navy (IIRC). Elmer wrote that it raised a big blood blister on his thumb.

Once my 1860 Army Colt/Uberti broke the mainspring while it still had loaded chambers. Took my wood sprue cutting dowel and with the 1860 pointed downrange I tapped the back of the gun's hammer repeatedly until all the chambers were fired. It took a good tap to pop seated caps as I recall.

Yep, in Elmers book, he says the the cap was undersize and he forced it on and splitting them in the process. He mentions this happened on rifles. That brings up the question.....I use my thumb to seat caps on my rifle. I don't use a stick or bone, etc.

Ole Elmer must have had some thumb ! :shocked2:

He also must have had more power in this arm than most folks.

Now, if the caps were "undersized" so forcing a cap onto the nipples caused the caps to "split" I just can't imagine a person with enough power to actually split a cap by shoving it onto a nipple.

I've seen a lot of cap and ball pistols which, even with a good hammer spring, cannot actually split the nipple on the first hammer fall.

That is one of the common reasons the cap and gun won't fire is the hammer doesn't have enough poop to split the cap and drive it down against the end of the cone.

Elmer aside, I have never had a cap fire when I was pushing it down onto a nipple with my fingers.

I think that Redwing hit the nail on the head when he stated that some lawyer though it up. Our society in general is overburdened with the "what if's". I started playing with smoke poles in the late 60's early 70's and have never seen or heard of anyone in my neck of the woods that had an injury while capping a gun. Not to say that it can't/doesn't happen. But, it isn't something I'll be losing alot of sleep over. :hmm:

I have had no luck at all wit a "snail" capper on my remingtons, or my Patteeson. They just don't fit. And I ain't gonna millout the blast shield so they will. I use a 15 cap inline capper. I will be taking my Pistols with me to Kalamazoo next weekend to get a couple more cappers from Ted Cash. Big pre cartridge living history show at the fair grounds. My even take a peek at a swivel gun.

that is the one i had no luck with, get a #10 only strait line caper, 11's will work in it, the combo 10-11 strait line the 10 fall out when you cap a nipple, at least mine dose, work just fine for the 11's.

That's the major reason that I gave up on the straight-line cappers--the #10's fall out or twist sideways too quickly, so I'm faster just doing it by hand. I will look at a #10 capper though next time I'm at a store that sells more than just the #11's.

Dave

smokin .50 said:
NO you can't :nono: , at least not at any range that I belong to! It's considered a huge safety violation to have a loaded and capped cylinder rolling around on a table and then dropping onto the ground/rocks at the range, and BOOOOOM!! :shake:

Dave

Does anyone know of this actually happening...Am curious to the extent of considering experimenting with a capped but UNLOADED cylinder. Jim

brpc said:
smokin .50 said:

Dave

Does anyone know of this actually happening...Am curious to the extent of considering experimenting with a capped but UNLOADED cylinder. Jim

I have been to a range where it did happen over three decades ago--I didn't witness it, just heard of it, through very reliable sources (range employees). Cylinder fell on the cement and two rounds went into someone's shoulder as he was lunging for it as it hit the cement.

Recently, a member here on this Forum reported that he was actually on the common firing line when a fully loaded & capped cylinder rolled-off the shooting bench at the firing line....and a "low-power" discharge occurred, with a ball going down the firing line 90* from the normal firing position, missing several shooters before coming to a stop :shocked2: . In that circumstance, no one was injured, if my memory serves well. Perhaps that same member will re-post that experience?

All it takes is one ball in your body to have a bad day! :v

Dave

Back